The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 10:24:02 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Albany
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Language buffs! Untranslated dialog Magua+Sachem Topic Next Topic: Mohican Blood  

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - August 24 2008 :  12:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Duncan first meets Cora at Albany, she is watching what seems to be a press, a huge stone wheel being rotated in a circular trough with a man feeding additional "things" in. Any idea what they are pressing?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 24 2008 :  08:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Fitz,

I believe the "things" being pressed are apples. Perhaps the Colonials used them to make their own version of "Ping," ha ha!!!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 24 2008 :  10:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But apples? Fort William Henry surrendered the 9th of August, so pushing back the travel time.....let's see....three days to get the siege guns in place, then a couple of days after the ambush, then the time spent marching from Albany (unknown), so just a guess, 6 days minimum from the time Cora watched the pressing operation. That means the apples were harvested by the 1st of August, or there abouts. Now, granted I am not familiar with the growing seasons in upstate New York, and that things are probably a little different up there, but that does seem a little early for apples to be ripening on the tree. Is this one more for my "list"?

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2008 :  3:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good point, Fitz. Here in south-central PA the earliest apples of the season, Summer Rambos, are now available in farmers' markets, but August 1 would be pretty early even for this well-south-of-Albany location.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 24 2008 :  4:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No doubt an early Autumn ...

you can keep "The Change"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2008 :  5:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
After all the many threads about LOTM's lack of historical authenticity, what's one more? Or would this be lack of agricultural authenticy??

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 24 2008 :  5:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I picked up on this while watching LOTM last night. It was on back-to-back for 4 hours! My daughter was up from Edgefield with the two granddaughters, and as she passed by on the way to their bedroom, she said, "What are you watching? Last of the Mohicans? You know, I have never seen that movie". I couldn't believe my ears. Well, next time she comes up without the girls, we are going to have an LOTM session. I suppose I should leave comments about the apple press, the bearskin hats on the guards, lack of militia at Fort WH, pistol won't fit in pocket, not really a waterfall you can jump through, and other such things for later times, and just concentrate on watching the DVD. I just don't know if I can do that!!!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2008 :  9:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The contraption is an "arasta". Hope I got the spelling right. According to my husband, it was originally designed for crushing and grind everything from gold, corn, or wheat. Granted, apples wouldn't be far off the mark as well.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 25 2008 :  6:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm

. . . the earliest apples of the season, Summer Rambos . . .

This name made me laugh, for some reason. Rambo apples. Tee hee.

(Can you tell it's been a long day for me? )

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - August 26 2008 :  4:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This probably won't help matters any, but the scenes filmed at Biltmore were among the first to be shot, in mid-to-late June; I don't know if or how that would have affected the source for apples in North Carolina, though!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 26 2008 :  6:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I doubt that Michael Mann let the availably of NC apples affect his shooting schedule. He probably flew them in from where ever they happened to be available.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 26 2008 :  7:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know of someone who was picking apples in NC in mid-July. I thought it was a bit early, but they did.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 27 2008 :  7:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

I doubt that Michael Mann let the availably of NC apples affect his shooting schedule. He probably flew them in from where ever they happened to be available.

Or just sent a flunkie to a buy a bunch from the nearest grocery store. Now that apples are available year-round, it doesn't matter what season it is and it probably doesn't occur to most people (like MM, obviously) to think that apples would have been seasonal fruits back in the 18th century!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 31 2008 :  11:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Another thing just occurred to me. Where was the apple press located? This year we went to the location of the Albany scenes where Webb, Winthrop, and Duncan all met, and saw where the blacksmith shop was. Maybe the apple press was in that location?

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - September 01 2008 :  12:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At least the cantaloupes, seen when Duncan & Co. are approaching Webb's HQ, are correct for the season!

Seems as though "Summer Rambo" should lend itself to a good joke, but it's hard to think of anything. Maybe a Summer Rambo tries to outwit a Northern Spy?

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

di-mc
Pioneer

Cora 4
USA

September 03 2008

Posted - September 03 2008 :  1:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

As to the thought that the apples were just harvested and the date would be too early for that to have been possible - perhaps they were last years apples. Apples can keep very well in "root cellars". I believe they pressed apples for cider, so they did not have to be fresh.

Diane
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - September 03 2008 :  7:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm

Maybe a Summer Rambo tries to outwit a Northern Spy?

I like it!

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - September 23 2008 :  8:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For Fitz: The Cora-meets-Heyward scene wasn't filmed at the old hotel in Asheville which provided the settings for Webb's headquarters. It was filmed at Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate, just like the iconic "bridge" and the "burial mounds" scenes were. The structure was, if I remember right, a carriage house or garage, some distance from the mansion but fairly close to the gardens. It was enclosed by a high wall which formed a sort of courtyard, keeping everything inside discreetly out-of-sight.
  Previous Topic: Language buffs! Untranslated dialog Magua+Sachem Topic Next Topic: Mohican Blood  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07