The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 2:31:20 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Of Pistols and Pockets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Breakfast with Mohicans Poll Topic Next Topic: Eric Schweigs Unexplainable [to me!] Mystique
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 01 2008 :  8:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, goodness! It could have been a lot worse, MG!

A-w-w-w-w..... gawrsh. Thanks, Seamus! You are very kind in your praise of my humble offering to the World of 18th Century Public Education. Much appreciated.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 02 2008 :  04:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
(Ol' Seamus, leanin' against a big tree, catching some shade, thinks to himself,) "............of course, might need some Cherry Bounce to wash those FINE cookies down..........."

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2008 :  07:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Got another batch "cookin'" now. 'Twill be ready this fall.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 02 2008 :  09:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the education, WW! Nice stuff!

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - August 02 2008 :  4:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's a little late to comment on the ORIGINAL idea in this topic, but don't you think it's a little STUPID for Cora to even bother with the pistol in the first place? It HAS to be included only so she can courageously pull it out during the "massacre", rather than merely cringing like Alice. ( Wonder why she didn't slip it to Hawkeye while he was in the cell?? ) WW should be able to attest that not only are the pistols of the era surprisingly heavy - they're notoriously unreliable as weapons! They have a ridiculously short range; are prone to misfire; and unless you're target shooting ( or dueling! ), impractically slow to reload. ( Wonder where she was going to get the powder and right size ball to reload it with anyway? ) Even in the cavalry they were considered weapons of "last resort", the sword or sabre being the primary arm.

Since they're therefore essentially literally one-shot affairs, one might assume this was simply an attempt to avoid the ever-popular Victorian ( remembering Cooper was writing in the Victorian era ) notion of "a fate worse than death". Maybe she intended it for herself or ( more likely ) Alice!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 02 2008 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Is it history, or is it Hollywood?"..........James, you should know the answer, given your bio!! What do Directors know about 'correct'....eh?

But, 'A gun' is better than 'no gun', so perhaps you have a point...."Maybe she intended it for herself or ( more likely ) Alice!" If she had to go, she could, perhaps, take an enemy with her, at least.....she definitely would not allow herself to be lead like a lamb to slaughter...or whatever.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  09:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by James N.

It's a little late to comment on the ORIGINAL idea in this topic, but don't you think it's a little STUPID for Cora to even bother with the pistol in the first place?

No, James, it is never too late to comment. And I think you have reinforced, and added to, my point quite nicely.

One correction, though, if I may... she acquired the pistol when the party of travelers was attacked on the trip from Albany to Fort William Henry. Then she pulled it out of her pocket when they stopped for the night in the Indian burial ground and she and Nathaniel were talking, not later on during the massacre as they were leaving the Fort.

To answer one of your questions, I think one reason she didn't slip the pistol to Nathaniel when he was in the cell could be that she probably didn't have it in her possession any more. My thinking is that once they made it to the fort, she probably gave it to her father or someone else there. She may have felt there was no longer a need for it. Remember that she didn't take it out of her pocket and try to use it during the massacre. So, she definitely didn't have it then.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 03 2008 :  10:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, she did have it at the massacre ... and used it, too. Didn't she????!!!???

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, she used it at the massacre.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 03 2008 :  11:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, she was packin' heat all the way from the ambush to Massacre Valley. But that raises another question. Where was the pistol during "The Kiss" scene? Seems like it would have been in the way.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  11:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh Good Grief!!! You are right!!! I can see the images in my mind now. After all the times I have seen that movie, how could I possibly forget that??? Unbelievable.

Thanks, all, for reminding me. I stand most humbly corrected.

Well, Fitz... perhaps she had left said pistol in her room, since she was working in the hospital?

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2008 :  12:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
But that raises another question. Where was the pistol during "The Kiss" scene? Seems like it would have been in the way.

Nathaniel to Cora: "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2008 :  12:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I knew it! I just knew someone would beat me to it! I was just coming back on to write that. Only my scenario would have had Cora saying it to Nathaniel, thusly:

"Is that my pistol in my pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 03 2008 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Perfect, WW!!! That line works much better!

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - August 04 2008 :  11:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Joyce,

Know anything of the clothing worn by women during the 1820's and 1830's? I am going to work on a Crockett graphic novel soon and no doubt, such information would help in achieving accuracy!

Thank you.

~Wade

www.alamosentry.com

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2008 :  09:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Wade,

No, I don't know a great deal about the clothing of that era, other than pictures I have seen in books, sort of in passing. You may be able to find some information online, though. Let me see if I can recall some good websites that might help you.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Breakfast with Mohicans Poll Topic Next Topic: Eric Schweigs Unexplainable [to me!] Mystique  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07