The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 2:30:38 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Eric Schweig's Unexplainable [to me!] Mystique
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Of Pistols and Pockets Topic Next Topic: Nice all round LOTM fan-vid
Page: of 4

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 02 2008

Posted - July 19 2008 :  10:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Hi Everybody

Here is something special i would love to share with you all....please do enjoy reading:

*When times are tough....Something to realy think about.....

When everything is broken, it's easy to find plenty of things you can fix. When nothing seems to be going right, even the most basic positive effort can make a noticeable difference.

Times of great difficulty and challenge are also times of great opportunity. When there are problems in every direction, there is also much value waiting to be created.

When all is going well, it's easy to get lulled into a sense of complacency. It's easy to forget how truly capable and resourceful you can be.

Difficult times are not much fun. Yet they can give you great and valuable insights into what's truly important.

There is much to be gained when times are good. There is even more to be gained when times are tough.

Resolve to persevere and grow stronger through whatever difficulties may come. For though the difficulties will eventually end, the treasures they compel you to create can often last a lifetime.

Thankyou to all that read....

Please do let me know your thoughts ...im doing my best asnwer Rich's question.....in so many words i guess...not always about a negative side...we always look for the good in someone,- who we are sceptical about ...maybe some of you have no perception on finding out...but im sure most of us do deep down..live for the better not for worse...be posative and open minded definately but with understanding and thought behind....this is my thoughts...above all anyway..being who you are and not what people expect of you or to be...but apreciate knowing the real person behind what ever they can not show.

Much respect to all- blossom All

xxx

Hi,im very much Interested in joining you all.I would love to know more about this venture.This would be my first time/so making new freinds in this community would be amazing.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kaya
Pioneer

January 21 2004

Posted - July 19 2008 :  12:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

what disturbs me is his "foul language" (a middle-aged man should know better) and most of his beliefs. Do his ideas not disturb anyone else or the disgusting statements he makes.

It doesn't disturb me at all, I honestly think he's in "acting mode" and gives his myspace friends what they want. That's the "real" Eric's myspace but I don't think that's the "real" Eric as a person. I think he's just playing for everyone.

Anyway, I was reading some posts on his imdb page and someone made a good point, for someone who is supposedly so "private" (and his myspace says the exact opposite) his rants are not someone who is private but someone looking for attention. I didn't think of that and maybe that makes more sense why his myspace is the way it is.

I like looking at his pics on his myspace because when he had his official, there were none. I think Eric is a gifted and wonderful artist and an okay actor. He's got some flaws like we all do but like everything on the internet, I don't take his myspace that seriously.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2008 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So he uses bad language because he is "giving his myspace friends what they want". I would rather be myself and use my own language and not change into someone else to please anybody. If that was the case then he is just being a "fake" on his myspace. He should not "play" for anyone. I do not blieve that is the case however. What is being said on there are his own thoughts and his own language.

IG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2008 :  8:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Still with you on this, Irish. Completely. Well said.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2008 :  9:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Rich's point has been well made. This topic has received more postings in the last few days than any other. So, I guess there is something about Eric that just fascinates. . .and the question has not been answered!

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 20 2008 :  2:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

I think Rich's point has been well made. This topic has received more postings in the last few days than any other. So, I guess there is something about Eric that just fascinates. . .and the question has not been answered!

Excellent point, Winglo!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - July 22 2008 :  07:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey all
I'm back from the depths of workland and very happy to be back I am too.
Big hugs to all and all the rest.

Now I had to throw my two cents in on this because well....I have strong feelings about the origianl subject.
I personally like Uncas, I like the movie I found Uncas' character to be quite crushable and still do BUT I do not have romatic or otherwise feelings for the real Eric. I personally love his movies and think he is a good actor, I've enjoyed all his roles and I honestly couldn't give a hoot about his looks, I believe to even start down that road is quite shallow, I like to base an actor's merit on their talent, although i do fully understand that a lot of the time famous people are rated on this, it does not sit well with me. I do get annoyed with people harping on that actors, singers etc have changed because they've aged, everyone does and differently, it shouldn't be a subject to dwell on.

Now onto his Myspace, I've talked to Eric very briefly on Myspace and can confirm that it is him, and he comes across as a very sweet person who respects his fans. I have friends (some are past middle aged) that swear like sailors, I even do it myself sometimes and it does not make them or me bad people.
Eric is heavily into his rock music, I run with a similar crowd and we do swear, we do think it's fun and not offensive used in our circle, we certainly wouldn't walk up to people in the street and start swearing but, that is his personal Myspace he can write what he wants...
I rant on Myspace, my friends rant on myspace and it's all in good fun...I really don't see what the problem is you can't gain an insight into someone through a page on the internet.

Back to the OP by Rich again.
Ok so, yes people may think he's not that great an actor but I don't think Brad Pitt is either but people i know think he is great, men and women alike, I don't see it but they do, it's that kind of thing. I personally think Eric is a good actor, I don't believe he is the best but I enjoy his work, other people won't see that...way of the world

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

February 02 2008

Posted - July 22 2008 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Kirachi -Great to see you back-WB...and what a reply-nice.

*Very informative and creatively said*

Hi,im very much Interested in joining you all.I would love to know more about this venture.This would be my first time/so making new freinds in this community would be amazing.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - July 22 2008 :  1:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm just popping in from the ether. Yes, I'm still alive. I was never a huge Eric fan although I admired him as Uncas. Everybody knows I'm a Daniel Day-Lewis nut and also to a lesser extent have a crush on Magua. Let me just say that swearing doesn't make you a bad person. People who know me well know that I swear like the proverbial sailor and you would not probably want to hear some of the things I say when I'm driving alone in the car...dropping a few "f" bombs or other swear words once in a while isn't a bad thing. It's the way some people vent and blow off steam. I'm a writer for a living and anybody who knows me knows I can put words together well, but there are situations especially with some of my ex-journalist buddies and other friends where yes, we talk like bosuns' mates. It's the person you need to judge, not the "F" bomb!

just a couple thoughts...

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - July 22 2008 :  1:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
and boy do I have to agree on the Brad Pitt thing. I never have gotten his appeal, but then again, to each his own.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 22 2008 :  1:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome back Kirachi and Christina. I was hoping you were still alive. I missed you and I'm sure others did, as well.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 22 2008 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christina

Let me just say that swearing doesn't make you a bad person.

Hey, Christina... nice to have you droppin' by!

I just went back and reread both my posts and Irish's. I can't see where either one of us called Eric a "bad person." And I want to make it clear that I don't feel that he is a bad person. I just want to clarify, yet again, that it is my opinion that Eric has not handled his life or his career to his best advantage, and I do not agree with, or respect him for, some of his views and choices. His use of foul language on his MySpace page is one of those choices.

I might add, btw, that if Eric's MySpace page is supposed to be private, rather than public, the link to it should never have been posted on these boards. That was a violation of his privacy.

And yes... I swear on occasion. It is most generally when I am alone, either in my car, in my work office with the door closed, or in the privacy of my own home. I don't swear at people or use foul or abusive language in public or online. I don't like hearing people use foul language in public (I just want to wash people's mouths out with soap when I hear them using the F-word repeatedly in a store or on the street), and I don't like reading it online on public pages. My opinion is that it is not appropriate, and it offends me.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - July 22 2008 :  6:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Wilderness Woman! I totally respect your opinion. And I know you didn't say he was a bad person. That was just my bit of colloquial phraseology.

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - July 22 2008 :  6:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

WW,
While I understand and partly agree with your disapproval of Eric's language on his myspace page, let me defend his right to it a little more.

When an entertainer is on the job, then what they say and do is for us, the public. When they are on their own time, it's up to them entirely. Think of it like any other job... are you concerned with your bank teller's myspace page or are you just concerned with the job she does for you when you go in the bank? Is she not entitled to her own personal life apart from and away from her work place?
Are you?
Am I?
I once had a co-worker suggest that she was offended because I am a Civil War reenactor (perhaps because of the Confederate flag? I do not display it anywhere, and in fact my unit portrays Union most of the time... not sure the reason for her offense.) My hobbies and interests are something that are completely separate from work, and I felt that what I do outside of work should in no way affect how I am viewed professionally.
How would you feel if professional judgements were made against you based on what you did in your own spare time?
I am reminded of a top-notch heart surgeon who dons a fake ponytail on the weekends and rides a Harley. Pretty tough-looking dude if you saw him away from work, but don't let that fool you. He is still top in his field.
I guess my point is that nobody owes anyone else anything when they are on their own time, as long as the activities they engage in are legal and not hypocritical (perhaps politicians and religious leaders are the exception here, I'm not sure where I draw the line).

What we, as the public, should be concerned with is not whether Eric drops the f-bomb in his own time, but rather how his performance *on the job* affects us, moves us, and enhances our enjoyment of this and his other movies.

Hey Stephanie! I just got done reading this earlier post and thought it was an interesting and HIGHLY relevant topic, not just to a discussion about Eric but to everybody's lives. I live with this everyday because I work for a religious organization. Granted, I'm just a humble scribe for a religious publication and not a religious leader but there is a highly disturbing and powerful little faction in our area Catholic community that spend all their time trying to ferret out the "bad" Catholics from the "true" Catholics. (Bad in their estimation being folks who don't understand Latin and occasionally..gasp...might disagree with something a Pope has said since 1362). Should these folks know about some of my political opinions, musical tastes, literary tastes, off-work dress style, etc they probably would try to get me canned. But as long as I do a good job and write theologically correct and interesting stories and don't blaspheme the church -- is that really any of their business? It's always an interesting paradox.

my question to them would be -- how do you tell a "pure" Catholic from a "bad" one? DNA?

i tend to believe if somebody does a good job at what they're paid to do, and they're not hurting anybody or doing anything illegal, I tend to let sleeping dogs lie.

as always INTERESTING discussions come up here. love it and missed it while I was away!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 22 2008 :  7:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Wilderness Woman! I totally respect your opinion. And I know you didn't say he was a bad person. That was just my bit of colloquial phraseology.

Thanks, Christina! I pretty much knew you weren't implying that. Just wanted to cover my bases, to make sure someone else didn't jump in on it.

Whew. OK. This time, I am done. Honest! Jumping back to the future in the 18th century.

"R-i-i-i-i-i-c-h!!!!!!!!! See what you started???" wailed WW.

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - July 23 2008 :  06:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

quote:

Let me just say that swearing doesn't make you a bad person.

Hey, Christina... nice to have you droppin' by!

I just went back and reread both my posts and Irish's. I can't see where either one of us called Eric a "bad person." And I want to make it clear that I don't feel that he is a bad person. I just want to clarify, yet again, that it is my opinion that Eric has not handled his life or his career to his best advantage, and I do not agree with, or respect him for, some of his views and choices. His use of foul language on his MySpace page is one of those choices.

I might add, btw, that if Eric's MySpace page is supposed to be private, rather than public, the link to it should never have been posted on these boards. That was a violation of his privacy.

And yes... I swear on occasion. It is most generally when I am alone, either in my car, in my work office with the door closed, or in the privacy of my own home. I don't swear at people or use foul or abusive language in public or online. I don't like hearing people use foul language in public (I just want to wash people's mouths out with soap when I hear them using the F-word repeatedly in a store or on the street), and I don't like reading it online on public pages. My opinion is that it is not appropriate, and it offends me.

Well I certainly hope no one does turn around and start flaming anyone else here for thinking differently! I will personally bite their kneecaps! I love discussing and I believe that's what this is, no bad feelings etc meant by anyone. It's what this board is right? :D

I can understand what you mean about foul language WW, I wouldn't like to hear people swearing on the street either, my point was that Eric isn't, it's on his Myspace and no one has to read it, unlike if it were on the street were you'd have no choice.

But I have to ask, how can you not respect someone you don't know?
I respect Eric's acting skills but I can't say I respect him as a person because I don't know him at all, never met him, I can't make that judgement.
You may not respect his choices but you can't apply that to him as a person.
Just a thought ;)

I'm not sure about his Myspace page being private although I do believe it shouldn't really have been posted but that's just what I think, it's his personal page etc but them again he should set it to private.
I heard through the grapevine that Eric had a lot of trouble with fans being very crazy towards him and that's why he shys away from contact with them and is secretive, but I can't back up the rumour.

And thanks for the WB! :D

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 23 2008 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

But I have to ask, how can you not respect someone you don't know?

Well, you see... people have to earn my respect. I don't just automatically grant them my respect without knowing what kind of a person they are, how they act toward others, what they say in public, what they do in public, etc. But, I don't have to know them personally in order to be able to grant that respect... or decide not to.

There are many people whom I have never met that I highly respect, because I have observed them, read about them, watched them, learned about them, and have gathered enough information about them to enable me to form my opinion -- George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Condoleeza Rice, Jimmie Stewart, John Wayne, and of course, Jesus Christ... to name just a few.

There are also many people whom I have never met that I have decided not to grant my respect to -- Nero, Rasputin, Hitler, Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, and of course, Satan... to name just a few.

Yes, respect must be earned, not just given willy-nilly.

Point made? Are we done with me yet?

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - July 23 2008 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I undersatnd your point WW, I guess I think of respect differently, I can't respect people I don't know unless they have done something pretty terrfic, like most of the people you have mentioned. But look at movie stars...take Brad Pitt (again) he's not a bad guy, he gives to charity he's a good actor (according to some) but I don't respect him, I don't not respect him either, I don't feel I have enough to judge him on and he's not done anything of real merit other than act, he's not changed the world for the better etc and i believe Eric to be the same in my eyes. So I fully agree with you respect must be earned but how can movie stars earn it? surely they don't automatically get your full respect that say you put on par with Washington?

And I didn't mean everyone has my respect I meant I don't respect anyone unless I know more about them personally. Respect has a drifferent meaning to me I guess.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 23 2008 :  3:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

And I didn't mean everyone has my respect. I meant I don't respect anyone unless I know more about them personally. Respect has a drifferent meaning to me I guess.

Actually, in this statement you made, you said exactly the same thing I just did! You asked me earlier how I could not respect someone I did not know. I answered you that I have to know about them, but not necessarily know them personally, before I can grant my respect. You seem to be saying two different things, in different places.

~ sigh ~ Why do I feel as though I am on trial here?

I mentioned Jimmie Stewart and John Wayne, who both just happened to be movie stars. I have not given them my respect because they were movie stars. From what I have learned, read, heard about them, they were both men of honor and good deeds. Jimmie Stewart put his very lucrative and popular movie career on hold to become the first movie star to don a military uniform during WWII. He ended his military career as a Brigadier General in the US Air Force. John Wayne was also a man of integrity, good sense, and strong ideals. I offered both of their names as an alternative to both Eric Schweig and the aforementioned Brad Pitt.

So, you see? They did not gain my respect and admiration simply because they were handsome movie stars. They "earned it" in my eyes with the way they lived their lives, both in the public eye and out of it.

OK? Have I made this perfectly clear now?

Kaya
Pioneer

January 21 2004

Posted - July 23 2008 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Eric's myspace is set on "public" because he wants it to be read by everyone who finds it -- if he wanted it to be private, he would set it on "private."

But if you think I violated the terms of this board, you can edit the link out of my post, I don't mind.

I do think Eric's myspace is doing exactly what Eric intended to do, and why it is so very public. Get people irritated, shocked, maybe start disagreements. I really think that's the purpose of his myspace, it's his way of getting attention. His old official was a joke, his movie career has been in the toilet for a looooong time and his image needs a PR boost.

It makes sense to me -- it's free advertising and attention that Eric barely had to lift a finger for. It's his game plan, that's all.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - July 23 2008 :  7:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I won't pretend that I've read all the posts here, - but I don't think this horse is getting up.

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 23 2008 :  7:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If the horse you mean is me, MG... you are absolutely right! I feel beaten to a pulp -- with words. And all I did was offer my opinion. I'm done. Really. For good this time. No more posts in this thread, about Eric, swearing in public, or respect.

Holy Cow! I mean.... N-e-e-e-e-i-i-i-i-gggghhhhh................

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - July 23 2008 :  7:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No one individual in mind WW, ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 23 2008 :  9:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
. . .my question to them would be -- how do you tell a "pure" Catholic from a "bad" one? DNA?

as always INTERESTING discussions come up here.

Interesting, indeed! While this thought has NOTHING to do with Eric, I think your question is a great one, Christina. And, I think only God can answer it. Unless one is parenting a child, it seems like a waste of time to invest energy trying to "straighten others out." As C.S. Lewis says, "Abstain from all thinking about other people's faults. . .There is only one whom you can improve very much." (Lewis is one of my favorites and I just had to get that quote in there!)

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 23 2008 :  11:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW just want to let you know that I totally agree with "your opinions" in this thread . You and I are definitely on the same page regarding this issue. I have enjoyed reading your posts very much and they make a lot of sense to me so please don't feel bad or let anyone get you down. It is just a discussion afterall and that is what this board is for.

I posted earlier in the thread but decided to steer clear of it for a while. I felt I should come in though to offer my "support" We are all entitled to our opinions and we can agree to disagree with others regarding Mr Eric Schweig

IG
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Of Pistols and Pockets Topic Next Topic: Nice all round LOTM fan-vid  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.56 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07