The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 7:35:51 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Do we know what happened to the friend who escaped the fort?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Where Are They Now, Part II Topic Next Topic: finally found the notes to the kiss on violin!  

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 18 2007

Posted - October 19 2007 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did hawkeyes buddy that got hawkeye almost hanged for escpaing the fort ever make it? I thought i saw him getting hacked up by the indians when they (the train of people from the fort) got ambushed. Furthermore, since Magua got killed, was the killing of the innocent frontiersman families going to stop? Was magua the catalyst to all that since Hawkeye told the general about what was happening?
report to moderator

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2007 :  3:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My understanding is that once Magua was killed no one would be going after Col. Monro's daughter's anymore. I didn't get the sense that this would stop the killing of settlers on the frontier. In fact, I don't think that's what Magua was about. He was after Col. Monro and his daughters for revenge.

I think you are speaking of Jack Winthrop when you mentioned Hawkeye's friend. I got the sense that he got away from the fort o.k., since when he was being arrested Hawkeye told Chingachgook that he helped "Jack and the others leave."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 19 2007 :  7:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

My understanding is that once Magua was killed no one would be going after Col. Monro's daughter's anymore. I didn't get the sense that this would stop the killing of settlers on the frontier. In fact, I don't think that's what Magua was about. He was after Col. Monro and his daughters for revenge.

I think you are speaking of Jack Winthrop when you mentioned Hawkeye's friend. I got the sense that he got away from the fort o.k., since when he was being arrested Hawkeye told Chingachgook that he helped "Jack and the others leave."

It seemed Magua was purposely pissing off the settlers to stir up the English, and to make his French buddies stronger. I thought he was acting as his own renegade indian commander doing this but that didnt represent the other indians on the frontier, nor his tribe. I do agree with Maguas actions, he had reason to be pissed off. Its too bad he didnt live. I like when the 'bad' guys live or win in the end, like good the bad and the ugly , when Tuco (really a bad guy) but the ugly. gets half the loot at the end

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 20 2007 :  1:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting point. Never really crossed my mind that Magua would use that tactic to help stir up trouble for the french.

Well done, MBC. Lots of Magua threads. Nice change!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

TomBowie
Lost in the Wilderness

John Cameron

November 23 2007

Posted - November 23 2007 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomBowie's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure that the settler you are thinking of isn't Jack Winthrop. It's one of the colonials who says "Got no families 'cap. Figured we'd stay and lend a hand." That's the guy who gets killed later in the massive ambush. They do look similar, though.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 24 2007 :  11:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board, TomBowie! Happy posting.

Steve S
Pathfinder

February 05 2005

Posted - November 25 2007 :  3:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As I recall,(and I'm talking historically,not book or novel),when the French natives killed the injured in the hospital(not shown),they managed to pick up smallpox which spread rapidly amongst them,counting most of them out for the rest of that years' campaign...in fact they never gathered to the French flag in such numbers again.
Steve

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 25 2007 :  4:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When Montcalm accepted the surrender and granted the terms he did, the Indians felt betrayed. Without their plunder, there was no reason for them to fight. The next year at Carillon (Ticonderoga) only 16 Indians fought with him. So the word has gone out for next summer, "which 16 of you get to be with the French?".

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - November 25 2007 :  8:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S

As I recall,(and I'm talking historically,not book or novel),when the French natives killed the injured in the hospital(not shown),they managed to pick up smallpox which spread rapidly amongst them,counting most of them out for the rest of that years' campaign...in fact they never gathered to the French flag in such numbers again.
Steve

They dug up many of the bodies on the fort's cemetary and scalped them. Being that many were smallpox victims they contracted the disease and carried it back to the tribes. Also in one of the first recorded instances of germ warfare Gen. Amherst sent smallpox infected blankets to the Indian tribes as gifts..

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 28 2007 :  12:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

When Montcalm accepted the surrender and granted the terms he did, the Indians felt betrayed. Without their plunder, there was no reason for them to fight. The next year at Carillon (Ticonderoga) only 16 Indians fought with him. So the word has gone out for next summer, "which 16 of you get to be with the French?".

I'll wager you will have far more than that number fighting on your side, Fitz! Fort Ti is a very popular event with your Indian allies. Trust me... they sing and dance well into the night on Saturday evening...

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 28 2007 :  3:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If the "Rule of 16" is enforced (which I can't imagine it will be) the Sauvage have said they will sit on top of Mt. Defiance and watch the battle, as this is historically correct!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
  Previous Topic: Where Are They Now, Part II Topic Next Topic: finally found the notes to the kiss on violin!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.64 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07