The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/2/2024 11:29:07 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 The Barracks
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Need some info Topic Next Topic: Need list of events?
Page: of 7

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 14 2002 :  6:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Pvt. Chauncey

... who am I to disagree.

Why, you're Pvt. Chauncey, of course!

Ah, what the heck ... as long as we mind our manners! I think there's room enough on this board for all. We all have our favorite haunts. If there's a void, I'm happy to hear about it so that we can fill it with another forum.

Perhaps, and this is just a "perhaps" for consideration ... perhaps this might work better as a Private Forum? The Barracks, I mean ...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 14 2002 :  10:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree, Sachem, as I made that point in the first response. There are more than enough niches to 'hang out' in, on your site. For instance, if I do not find a particular folder interesting or up to my expectations, I simply do not engage myself there. Yes, it is that simple, and everthing I ever needed to know about personal intercourse was learned in Kindergarden. After that point, things like personal bias, politics, etc. started to muddy the waters.
Personally, Sachem Rich, I don't think this little niche is much a threat to anyones sensibilities, why heck, most mohicanites don't even know it exists (or if they do, it just is not interesting to them). I mean if we can have an 'Uncas Folder', for the fans of that character and the actor(s) who portrayed him over the years, I don't think that my little playground is inappropriate.
Thanks for stopping by Sachem, and I hope to see you come back again to have a 'wee dram' and join the lads in song...

...And its all for me grog,
Me jolly, jolly grog,
Its all gone for beer and tobacco,
For I spent all me tin,
With the lassies drinkin' gin,
Across the western ocean, I must wander...

Your Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 15 2002 :  01:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
While others may not post, it does not mean that they do not visit.

Just my thought.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 15 2002 :  11:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent point, Fitz. The Captain and I are trying to get the rest of the company to sign up. They are a little cautious, and do their viewing as anynomous guests. They will eventually see that this is a fun site to interact in, and somewhat addicting. Once we have our 'Dirty Dozen' playing in the barracks, it should give the stories and thoughts within, a more 'Three Dimensional" feel. I know, I know, "There goes the neighborhood". As always, we welcome all to come in and join us, I promise we don't bite. At least not on the first date...

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 15 2002 :  7:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pvt.Chauncey,I never see you at any reenactments in Western Pa.So how could you possibly understand the events at Loylahanna unless its by osmosis?EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - November 15 2002 :  10:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Graham...But, Chauncey has been present and participated in many battles of which the MacWilliam Lads have knowledge. Pvt. Goodrich is a seasoned veteran and does understand much more than you may think. Chauncey has also been a member of this Board for many a year. Seamus, Davey Gunn, Sjt. MacWilliam, Three Tales, Quasi and myself have the highest respects for Chauncey...the reason that he appears in our own Chronicles!! Lassen Sie das Spassen mit ihm. Many Flags

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2002 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Captain, glad you are back, how was your furlough? As far as the Private is concerned, I dinna think she will be back, she made her opinion of us abundantly clear in her two posts. Thats fine, in our Constitutional Republic, the freedom to associate is as important as the Rights to Assemble, Free Speech & Press. God bless 'er.
Mr. Flags, sir, my Captain dinna mean any insult, he was mearly protecting his men against what he perceived as an insult, as any good officer would do. As far as your statement that Pte. Goodrich is a seasoned veteran, I agree, I have seen her webpage, but remember experience may be a two edged sword (as any of of who were ever in the real military knows!).
In closing, it warms my heart to see free discourse, as long as performed in a gentlemanly (or gentlewomanly) manner. I must be off to deliver the morning report, I'll return later. Keep the hearth stoked and keep warm.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  3:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Edmund McKinnon

Pvt.Chauncey,I never see you at any reenactments in Western Pa.So how could you possibly understand the events at Loylahanna unless its by osmosis?EM

I guess you haven't watched "When The Forest Ran Red" -- my face therein is proof that I DO attend events in Western PA.

What an amazing thing, to think one can go to ALL the events in Western PA, see ALL the faces, and recognize them ALL!! How extraordinary. Such faith in one's self, to believe that is possible!! Or is it possible, and it is me of little faith?

YHOS,
Pvt. Chauncey

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

I mean if we can have an 'Uncas Folder', for the fans of that character and the actor(s) who portrayed him over the years, I don't think that my little playground is inappropriate.

"My little playground"... I think that says it all.

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All that I know is that there were no women serving with Roger's Rangers ever.Pvt.Chauncey must be from the Roger's Rangers SCA detachment thenEM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Pvt. Chauncey

I guess you haven't watched "When The Forest Ran Red" -- my face therein is proof that I DO attend events in Western PA.

Oh,was that you as Tannachrissen(the Half-King)?May I have your autograph then lassie?EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2002 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pte. Goodrich,
I can't begin to tell you how important your thoughts and opinions are in regards to this forum and myself. I only have one question for you, what is your major malfunction? If you don't like this folder, don't stick your nose in it. You remind me of people who want to censor certain television shows that offend them, but who are too lazy to get up off the couch and turn them off!!! Or, are you one of those reenactors who believe that only they and their select brethern are permited to play, and that all newcomers are not up to snuff. I have to deal with bigoted, small minded people for a livng, so you do not impress or astound me. Your posts are examples that you FAIL to read ALL of what you are alledgedly answering to. You still are always welcome to the Barracks, however I warn you, if you come in here "Fangs Out" be prepared for a little involuntary dentistry. Good day.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 16 2002 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lads & Lasses ... what is the point here? Are we here to converse? Or, are we here to be pointedly adversarial?

I thought a reenactors'-geared forum ... that is, The Muster ... would add some color to the Board. I didn't envision black & blue!

Have I erred?

If this topic ... that is, The Barracks, is indeed to be a private playground, then perhaps we should turn it into a private forum - "exclusive to a few."

There's more to these exchanges than meets the eye, I suspect.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2002 :  4:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Sachem Rich,
The only problem here is with ONE indvidual who continues to engage in attack. Now, I tried to be gentlemanly about it, but I will not tolerate personal attacks. If she does not like this folder, don't view it (She seems to be the only one with a problem out there), and as far as "Black and Blue" I would never strike a lady. I will however 'de-fang' with the use of truth and logic, part of my "Stand of Arms". I do this for fun and I enjoy a good natured sparing match as much as the next guy, but why let this one malcontent ruin this little corner of fun?

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  5:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
(Major Grant is in his H.Q. at Loyalahanna discussing strategy with the mannequins)"Sgt.McDougal come in here this instant!"(McDougal stumbles in and bangs his halbeard off of the ceiling while fiddling with his handlebar moustache)"Sir,you wanted to see me?"(Major Grant)"Assemble all three companies of the 77th for our expedition to Ft.Duquesne Sergeant.Col.Montgomery gives his blessing"(mannequin stares ahead in stony silence)(McDougal)"Ahhh,Dan its just me & Ely this weekend"(goes off).

(Major Grant exits his quarters and steps onto the parade ground)"Sgt.(whispering)I want you to keep this in this in the strictist confidence,but we will soon be having a secret military council with Msgr.West and the Virginian".(Just then a thunderclap is heard on this bright,sunny day and Msr.West dressed in flowing ermine robes wearing a crown and carrying a scepter enters the parade ground accompanied by "The Virginian").

(Maj.Grant falls to his knees and grovels )"Oh your excellency,what an honor it is to have you here".(West)"Stow it dan!""I see that those hedges haven't been trimmed yet,and when are you going to snake the toilet in my office?"(Maj.Grant)"But your eminence,we are planning our strategy to take Ft.Duquesne"(West)"I don't care what you think you're doing,If those chores aren't done by the time I close up today you're history troop!"(Maj.Grant kissing West's ring)"As you command sire"(West kicks Maj.Grant in the groin,scowls and storms off)

(The Virginian)"Hey y'all."(Maj.Grant nods in acknowledgement as he tries to pick himself up off of the ground.He seems to be lost for words at the moment)(The Virginian to Sgt.McDougal)"Haaay,is that a real gun?"(McDougal)"Of course".(The Virginian)"Weeel,I'm going to have to ask ya to take out yer ramrod"(McDougal)"What for"(The Virginian)"'cause somebody could get hurt or seriously killed by it"(McDougal his face flustering and his handlebar moustache curling up on the ends)"I'll show you killed"(and draws his basket hilt sword and proceeds to chase The Virginian from the parade ground)(The Virginian fleeing for his life)"Haaaaaaay"(They run out of sight from Maj.Grant. McDougal then returns a short while later wiping the blood from his sword).(Maj.Grant to McDougal)"Sergeant,where is the Corporal?"(McDougal)"He's down at the surgeon's sir.He lost another engagement with a sign" To be continued........

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  5:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see what you're saying Rich,but all was well in here until a "certain person"decided to come in and make trouble.This forum is viewed by many reenactors in W.Pa.(and other parts unknown)who just don't happen to post but enjoy these postings immensely.(I know,they've told me so)

If this "certain person"doesn't like the goings on here,then why keep coming back when there is a whole other board out there.It just doesn't make any sense.EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  5:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

...(snip) ... This forum is viewed by many reenactors in W.Pa.(and other parts unknown)who just don't happen to post but enjoy these postings immensely.(I know,they've told me so)

Ah, I finally see the role of the mannequins and why you pay them proper respect (as you stated in your earlier post).

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2002 :  10:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah, yes Captain, I do recall. Do you remember our own garrison weekend at Loyalhanna, back in August? Do you recall our own meeting with the "Gatekeeper"? The events were as follows:

Capt.Graham: "Corporal, take the detail out for some drill and to play
'meet & greet' with the public.
Cpl. Munro: "Aye sir, can do."
(While the Corporal's Guard is performing march and arms drill on the parade ground)
Pte. MacLean: "Hey Corp, is this place open today?"
Cpl. Munro: "Aye MacLean, it is."
Pte. Stuart: "Well if it is open, the only patron is wearing a 'staff'
badge."
Pte. MacDonald (The Elder): "Well, if anything, we are not having to
dodge patrons during our display."
(Finally, an hour later, a group of six patrons arrive in the parade ground area, after performing marching and arms drill, questions are taken)
Woman #1: "So, why do yous guys wear skirts?"
Cpl. Munro: "This is what is called a Feldhbeg, or wee kilt, it was
a fatigue uniform in the Highland Regiments of the British
Army."
Man#1: "Hey buddy, is that a real gun?"
Pte. MacLean: "Why yes sir, it is."
Man#1: "Isn't that dangerous, I mean flippin it around like that?"
Pte. MacLean: "No sir, it is a tool, just show some respect while you
handle it, and you will never get hurt."
Woman #1: "I thought we beet the British?"
(And so the questions went, for the next fifteen minutes, until they departed)
Cpl. Munro: "Alright men, lets go back to camp, you've earned a break."
(Once back at our cramped battalion street, outside the 'Water Gate' on the North side of the fort, a member of the staff approaches...)
Staff: "Who is in charge here?"
Capt. Graham: "Why that would be Capt. Feathersword, Royal Artillery."
Staff: "Where is he?"
Capt. Graham: "He is down at the Compass Inn, with the detatchment
from Capt. Eucyer's Company of the 60th Royal Americans."
Staff: "Well, my master 'The Gatekeeper' wishes to speak with someone
in charge, he demands an immediate audience!"
Capt. Graham: "Well, lets go Corporal, I guess I'm next in the chain of
command."
(Moments later, at the visitors center, our heroes arrive at the outer door of the chamber of 'The Gatekeeper')
Staff: (On telephone) "Yes master, the ones you have ordered are here."
Staff: (To Capt. Graham) "The Great One will see you now."
(Entering the office, we find a great hall, apparently larger than the whole visitor center, seated upon an elevated throne at the far end is 'The Gatekeeper' himself, dressed in fine robes and wearing a crown)
Capt. Graham: "You called for us?"
('The Gatekeeper', apparently disturbed by the total lack of kow towing, rises from his thone to answer)
Gatekeeper: "I have had some complaints from the public."
Cpl. Munro: "What sort of complaints?"
Gatekeeper: "Complaints that the reencators are not interacting with
the public, that they are unapproachable."
Capt. Graham: "Who made these complaints?"
Gatekeeper: "That is not important"
Cpl. Munro: "I don't know skip, I think it is very important."
Capt. Graham: "Look, why don't you take it up with Capt. Feathersword
when he returns. This weekend was his idea anyways."
Cpl. Munro: "Lets go Cap, this conversation is over."
(As we depart the visitors center, and walk up the hill back to our battalion street)
Capt. Graham: "That guy is such a tool, what is it with these site
directors, do the majority of them have to be such
arrogant cretins?"
Cpl. Munro: "I don't know Captain, but if he meddles in the business
of The Black Watch, he too will fit in a five gallon
bucket!"
Capt. Graham: "Foxtrot Romeo on that, Corporal!"

-Or-

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  11:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That just about sums it upI wonder if Private Chauncey is aware of the proper format when addressing an officer?EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

Machkeu Machtando
Lost in the Wilderness

Evil Bull

November 17 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

All that I know is that there were no women serving with Roger's Rangers ever.

Can't say as I EVER saw, read, heard, or knew of an Italian Highlander, either. This is a hobby...nothing more, nothing less. Back off.

Enough of this is enough..................

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 17 2002 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Considering that the Roman Empire occupied a good part of the Scots backyard for a couple of hundred years, the possibility of Italian Highlanders does make sense. As you know, Roman Legioneers seldom travelled with their own wives/women.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  3:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

quote:
Can't say as I EVER saw, read, heard, or knew of an Italian Highlander, either. This is a hobby...nothing more, nothing less. Back off.

Look before you leap laddie.I'm 1/2 English on my Mother's side plus 1/3 Scotch-Irish with a Wallace in my family tree.So thereEM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  4:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Many Flags

Graham...But, Chauncey has been present and participated in many battles of which the MacWilliam Lads have knowledge. Pvt. Goodrich is a seasoned veteran and does understand much more than you may think. Chauncey has also been a member of this Board for many a year. Seamus, Davey Gunn, Sjt. MacWilliam, Three Tales, Quasi and myself have the highest respects for Chauncey...the reason that he appears in our own Chronicles!! Lassen Sie das Spassen mit ihm. Many Flags

Sgt.Munro,who is this person speaking to me as if I needed his advice?EM

Capt.John Graham
Cmdr.42nd Highlanders

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 17 2002 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry folks, but I don't really see where this is going, and it's certainly not constructive.

I'm lockin' 'er up for a bit ...

CHILL time!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 19 2003 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Two months have come & gone. Though this is probably to no avail - seeing as all those involved seem to have dispersed - we're reopening The Barracks.

If you want to come in to kiss & make up by the fire, the doors are open!
Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Need some info Topic Next Topic: Need list of events?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07