The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 11:28:30 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Movie lacking a lot?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A new generation of LOTM fans Topic Next Topic: Favorite LOTM Song  

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 04 2007

Posted - October 05 2007 :  7:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just watched the movie again for the 100th time lol
It was the first time my other half had watched it with me and he said afterwards "wow, great film but it was really lacking a lot"

So, I asked him what he meant and the more he talked about it the more I really agreed with him.

It felt rushed, it's such a shame the editing was so brutal on this movie.
He totally didn't get the Alice Uncas thing...like how can he die for her when they had ONE line together in the whole movie etc
Plus he was asking about the braid in her hair...
It's just disjointed I guess
He esp didn't like the fact that such a fantastic ending didn't seem to make sense.
Now to me it does cause I read a lot into the looks he gives her lol and I explained about there being a love scene that was cut out....

Anyway, I know i'm going on about Uncas lol cause i love the guy but there were other things that lacked in general

Anybody else feel the same?

Also, I was wondering is the TV series any good?

report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 05 2007 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well to be honest I never got the Uncas/Alice thing until I joined this board and read up about it. When I first saw the movie, I too wondered why he was running up the cliff at the end like a man possessed, when he and Alice had not even talked in the movie and had barely any interaction. Why was he rushing to save a girl he barely even knew. I assumed it was because of Hawkeye and his love for Cora. There were some looks between the two but blink and you would miss them.

Don't be too hard on the hubby though. Overall the movie was very good.

Which tv series are you referring to?.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 06 2007 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Really?
I got it when i first watched it back many, many years ago. I'm a hopeless romantic lol I mean that look he gives her on the cliff when he's been heart is heartbreaking.
But I really saw his point, I mean it must be hard to see that connection if you aren't looking for it.
I'd really love to see the movie as Mann had originally visioned it, I mean there had to have been more to it for the whole ending to make more sense.
We should all start bugging Mr Mann too re-edit it again! lol
But yeah it is a good movie, I just really agree with my guy that it felt rushed and could have been a really epic movie given that little extra (not just Uncas) attention.
I still love it though, it's one of my favourite movies

I'm thinking of the 70's mini series, is there another?

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2007 :  07:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good morning, Kirachi. I just finished my 5:30am run and was surprised to find someone on the board already. Usually I'm just reviewing last evening's posts at this hour. But, I see that you're in the UK, so maybe I should say, Good afternoon.

Interesting thoughts you have. I think the movie is definitely not too in depth, as my 5 year old can watch and follow it. But, that is like most movies, don't you think, i.e. not too in depth?

I don't know if you checked out Russell Means interview on this website, but he speaks of how Mann had to cut the movie to keep within the "less than 2 hour" time frame. But then Mann had his chance to put out his Director's Cut, and didn't really add a whole lot, as far as missing scenes and other things that would have helped the plot line flow more smoothly and make more sense. So, I have to believe that what came out in his DVD (was that 1999?) was pretty much what he wanted.

I didn't get the Alice/Uncas thing the first time I watched the movie, but I am not sure Mann wants to lift the mystery. He has us still talking about it 15 years later and maybe that was his goal!! I haven't read the book, so maybe someone else can help tell us if Uncas' admiration of Cora was made clear by Cooper. It could be that Mann is being subtle because Cooper was.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 06 2007 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Cooper was anything but subtle ...

Perhaps, the Uncas/Alice thing is not "got" by some viewers because it isn't really there? Perhaps Uncas would have gone off even if it had been Cora. Young warrior in need of proving himself. Perhaps.

Then again, the fact that for so long people have discussed its merits here on this board ... well, something must be there, however subtly. Obviously, Mr. Mann wanted it understated. The film is not all about Alice and Uncas.

I remember complaints about the disjointed nature of the film very early on ... I don't see it that way at all. To me, it flows rapidly, but smoothly. No filler.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2007 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and no doubt the best soundtrack ever!

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - October 06 2007 :  2:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Well to be honest I never got the Uncas/Alice thing until I joined this board and read up about it.

Same with me. But it could be because I intensely disliked Alice from the very beginning of the movie...still do. I could count the ways but I don't want to get flamed too bad

I just can't see what that beautiful man saw in her.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2007 :  3:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with you susank. Alice was very timid and afraid of her own shadow. What Uncas saw in her is beyond me. She was pretty but no raging beauty. He was a brave, young warrior and he would need a "companion" much stronger physically and mentally than Alice was. Maybe he just felt the "urge" to protect her or perhaps felt another type of "urge"..heehee

IG

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 06 2007 :  3:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"The film is not about Uncas & Alice", ... thx Rich! It's only a film, and it's REALLY about an "historic novel".

you can keep "The Change"

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 06 2007 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

Good morning, Kirachi. I just finished my 5:30am run and was surprised to find someone on the board already. Usually I'm just reviewing last evening's posts at this hour. But, I see that you're in the UK, so maybe I should say, Good afternoon.

Interesting thoughts you have. I think the movie is definitely not too in depth, as my 5 year old can watch and follow it. But, that is like most movies, don't you think, i.e. not too in depth?

I don't know if you checked out Russell Means interview on this website, but he speaks of how Mann had to cut the movie to keep within the "less than 2 hour" time frame. But then Mann had his chance to put out his Director's Cut, and didn't really add a whole lot, as far as missing scenes and other things that would have helped the plot line flow more smoothly and make more sense. So, I have to believe that what came out in his DVD (was that 1999?) was pretty much what he wanted.

I didn't get the Alice/Uncas thing the first time I watched the movie, but I am not sure Mann wants to lift the mystery. He has us still talking about it 15 years later and maybe that was his goal!! I haven't read the book, so maybe someone else can help tell us if Uncas' admiration of Cora was made clear by Cooper. It could be that Mann is being subtle because Cooper was.

Yes, I live in Manchester, I have no idea what the time differences are though but the last post i wrote was at about 12am here.

That's very true, most movies don't dive too deep and most of the time that sits fine, but hmm I don't know this movie just really strikes me as being hacked to bits by editing.

Yes, i read the interview a bit ago but i also heard that Mann was forced again but to make it over a certain time by Fox or something. I don't know if that's true or not but it does strike me as strange that he left so much out in his "directors cut" which only really has little more footage in it, well i've heard that lol you acn buy that version here in the UK, although i do plan on tracking it down.

As for it not being about alice and uncas, well yeah i kinda know that ;) but I was just focusing on that bit of plot because it seems to be the most lacking.

I agree susank2, she's not a likeable person, she seems selfish and a little brattish...spoilt, but i suppose it's how she's been brought up, protected by the older sister and father.

Anyway, my main grr about it was, to me i would have loved an extra hour of this movie (not just Alice & Uncas mind) I just personally feel it's a little rushed for something that's should a big scale, a bit more on the war etc would have been fantastic!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2007 :  6:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

Anyway, my main grr about it was, to me i would have loved an extra hour of this movie (not just Alice & Uncas mind) I just personally feel it's a little rushed for something that's should a big scale, a bit more on the war etc would have been fantastic!

Regardless, it is a great movie, with great music. And I agree, I could have watched another hour of any part of it--whatever ended up on the cutting room floor!

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 06 2007 :  8:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wish we could get Michael Mann to re-do the Director's cut. It could be redistributed with 2 hours of new footage and it would be a hit all over again.......

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 07 2007 :  05:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

I wish we could get Michael Mann to re-do the Director's cut. It could be redistributed with 2 hours of new footage and it would be a hit all over again.......

Yeah, 2 more hours of this film would be heaven!
If I ever win a large amount of money I'll pay him to re-do it lol

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 07 2007 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Another 2 hours of LOTM!!

That would be awesome. I do like the VHS version and think it flows nicely. Fast but not choppy. Although the Uncas and Alice thing threw me too...at first. But I've always been a hopeless romantic as well so it didn't have to be spelled out for me.

Their relationship was there just very understated and that was to keep Hawkeye and Cora the center romance. How funny is that? Their romance was the centerpiece of the movie and all we fans go on about is Uncas and Alice!

Still the movie as a whole is awesome and two more hours of it would have made it all the better.

Shoot, if Gone With The Wind can do 4hours certainly MM could have done it!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 07 2007 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, it would be awesome.
Over here the only version on DVD is the VHS version. The Diector's Cut is a US only release. I am planning on buying it though.
I read about a few of the changes, bit stumped as to why he changed some of it, like Hawkeye's lines and Duncan's cry on the fire...and is it true that "I Will Find You" bu Clannad is no longer the music as they track Cora, Alice and Dunacn after the waterfall?

haha yeah, most fans seem to love the Uncas & Alice romance...and I've talked to people in the past who have point blank refused to believe anything was going on....since there was a love scene (that was edited) I find that hard to believe, I do understand the arugment that it was a one sided love though, but hmm I perfer to believe they loved each other lol

Oh i love Gone with The Wind! I wish LOTM was as long haha
If anyone on this board becomes very wealthy please go pay Mr Mann to re edit it with EVERYTHING in it lol I'd be most grateful ;)

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 07 2007 :  2:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

Yeah, it would be awesome.
Over here the only version on DVD is the VHS version. The Diector's Cut is a US only release. I am planning on buying it though.
I read about a few of the changes, bit stumped as to why he changed some of it, like Hawkeye's lines and Duncan's cry on the fire...and is it true that "I Will Find You" bu Clannad is no longer the music as they track Cora, Alice and Dunacn after the waterfall?

That's just too funny! The grass is always greener, I guess. You're trying to get a hold of a copy of the movie on DVD that I rarely watch because I don't like the editing and I've considered buying a copy of the DVD release that is out in the UK (and a new DVD player, just to play it).

The sad truth: Clannad is gone in the Director's Cut. So are some of Hawkeye's best lines. We see Duncan's cry, but don't hear it. And the music that is playing as they come to the Fort is much quieter--more in the background. I thought the music really added to those scenes and miss the intensity of it in the DVD. So, usually I watch the VHS version, but of course the quality is not as good, as it is not digital. Who knows what Mann was thinking.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 07 2007 :  2:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe a few extra scenes would be nice but another 2 hours, not for me ladies. I think it was just long enough.

You can always make your DVD player multi-regional so it plays DVD's from wherever. Apparently it is easy enough to do.

IG

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 07 2007 :  3:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, I already have a DVD player that can play all regions.
The UK version is pretty cheap to buy as it has NO extras at all on it, plus I must warn everyone that the picture quailty is pretty bad, a bit blurry and the sound is muffled. It's just a bad VHS to DVD format, rushed like most movies were at the start of DVDs.
Has the US version got sharp sound and picture?
In the graveyard and under the waterfall can you easily see what's happening without it looking too dark?

I've heard many people say that the newer version is really bad. The music really enhanced the moods for me so taking most of it out etc is just a bit strange.
And I LOVE Hawkeye's lines! I can't believe he removed them!
But I still want to see it, it'd be interesting to see the new edits.

Aww come on Irish, 2 more hours of this film would be great! Just get a comfy pillow to sit on and family size bag of popcorn. Besides if it ever does happen (wishful thinking me thinks) we'll still have the other two versions too if we want a shorter watch lol

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 07 2007 :  3:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, the picture quality in the DVD is good, but the dark scenes are still dark--you can't see much of anything that you couldn't see on VHS.

As far as a new version goes. . .I think the best we can hope for is that a new and improved version will come out on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 07 2007 :  6:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, that's good news as the VHS copy i have is far better than the DVD in the adrk screen. You see what's going on or tell who is who it is that bad on the DVD.

Yes, but who knows, he may have a change of heart and submit to the afns cries lol
  Previous Topic: A new generation of LOTM fans Topic Next Topic: Favorite LOTM Song  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07