The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 9:24:40 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Question about what Uncas says at Cameron's cabin...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: New Member/Artillery Co-ordinator Topic Next Topic: LOTM AMC  

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 25 2007

Posted - October 05 2007 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the script it says:

"UNCAS: Mohawk field we saw was 5 mile long on the river. Chief Joseph Brandt's field."

Uncas actually says the same thing in the movie.

Joseph Brant was 15 in 1757. Would he have been a chef at such a young age? Would he have had a corn field 5 mile long...at 15??

Unless Joseph Brandt and Joseph Brant are 2 different people, maybe?
report to moderator

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 05 2007 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Susank2, you are an observant woman. I noticed the time discrepancy fairly quickly after watching the movie for the first time. If you go to the LOTM Game thread this problem is briefly mentioned sometime in the last couple of months. There may be other older threads where this comes up, as well (I've only been around since July 07).

Basically it's a mistake due to poor research because there was only one Joseph Brandt and he was too young to own a field.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 05 2007 :  7:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All historical movies get Hollywoodized somewhere along the line. The historical movie which is closest to actual (that I have seen) is "We Were Soldiers."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 06 2007 :  08:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think this was because of poor research [See: Mark Baker's analysis on the site]. It was, as Obi says, Hollywoodized. It was simply a way of mentioning a noted Mohawk.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2007 :  12:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

I don't think this was because of poor research [See: Mark Baker's analysis on the site]. It was, as Obi says, Hollywoodized. It was simply a way of mentioning a noted Mohawk.

Rich, where do I go to find mark Baker's analysis? I couldn't find it.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 06 2007 :  8:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They at least knew who Joseph Brandt was. They tried to add a little history into the movie but failed badly with people who know history.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 07 2007 :  10:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lol. That is too funny! I love historians!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 21 2007 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by winglo

quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Rich, where do I go to find mark Baker's analysis? I couldn't find it.

Sorry for the delayed response!!!!

See Mark's stuff here:

The SCRIPT AND THE MATTER OF HISTORICAL ACCURACY

ON THE TRAIL ... WITH MARK A. BAKER

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2007 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rich.

David F. Mathieson
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

October 21 2007

Posted - October 21 2007 :  6:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thayendanegea, Brants birth name, never was elegable to become speaker for his people until well after he came back from his schooling in Connecticut and England. At this time he would have had to prove his worthyness to speak for his people and then it would be up to the women's councel to aprove this. Remember this was a matriochal society, the women had a equal say in the governing of tribal affairs. Cooper and the film industry took a lot of liberties as was the case in so many movies that have been made. Another caracter mentioned was Uncus. What the heck is Uncus doing in up state NY. He belonged at Shantock on the Thames River in CT. This was an exciting movie but so very far from the truth.
Wee Davie

David F. Mathieson
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

October 21 2007

Posted - October 21 2007 :  6:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry for the misspelling, Uncas
See the "Broken Chain" for a better depiction of Brant.

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2007 :  08:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, David! We don't have too many members whose backgrounds are as closely related to the events discussed here as are yours and your wife's. I hope you'll post often. And Sergeant Munro, for one, will be delighted to make the acquaintance of someone whose forebears served in the Black Watch!

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama
  Previous Topic: New Member/Artillery Co-ordinator Topic Next Topic: LOTM AMC  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07