The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 7:31:22 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 New Member/"Artillery Co-ordinator"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Rev. Wheelocks School Topic Next Topic: Question about what Uncas says at Camerons cabin...  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - October 24 2007 :  4:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just discovered this WONDERFUL site and would like to thank and congratulate its creator, and also to introduce myself and explain my connection to this production. I spent three months as part of the military core group during the filming in 1991. At some point, I was designated "artillery coordinator", since the imposing cannon and mortars seen in the production had many aspects; but there was no single controlling element for them. It was in this area that I was able to make my greatest contribution to the finished product.

I also appeared in uniform on both sides of the firing line, but only finally survived editing as the commander of Montcalm's "honor guard" during the evacuation of the fort by Munro's troops. I can be seen as a dim shadow at Montcalm's dinner table along with Levis in some of the shots inside the tent. During the Massacre Valley sequence, I served as Captain of the last "company" straggling into the ambush, so was farthest from the cameras for that.

My main contribution was in devising and adapting the artillery drill so that it appeared we reenactor extras were actually firing the siege guns, which belonged to the SET department; but were in fact operated ( detonated ) by the SPECIAL EFFECTS crew! That's what I meant by there being no single control over this very important aspect of the production.

Having just finished reading most of the "Musings" by various other cast/crew members, I find many reminders of my service there. I would be happy to share my own personal experiences as well. Unfortunately, I have no way to digitalize the Kodak DISC photographs I took, else I would like to share those, too. I have several good ones of Munro, Heyward, and Magua; and one or two of Hawkeye, Cora, etc.

I look forward to once again talking about this adventure!
report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2007 :  4:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board James and you certainly are a very welcome addition. Wonderful to have someone who actually worked on LOTM. We would all love to see those pics you have. Oh, the stories you could tell.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2007 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, James. I'm looking forward to learning all sorts of interesting things from you.

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2007 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board!! Happy Posting!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 24 2007 :  6:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
so you can post some pictures of cora and alice for us?

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 24 2007 :  6:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to Mohicanland, James! Glad you finally made your way here, after all these years. I hope we will soon be reading some first-hand accounts from you about life on the set of LOTM! And perhaps our great Sachem, Rich, could offer some assistance with those photos you spoke of.

In the meantime, have fun exploring this amazing site & getting to know everyone. You're going to like it here.

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Kirachi
Colonial Settler

Alone
United Kingdom

October 04 2007

Posted - October 24 2007 :  6:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board James! Hope you have fun posting here.
That's fascinating about you working on LOTM, we'd all love for you to share your stories and pictures if you can find a way to get them onto your computer.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 24 2007 :  7:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, James!!

You may post here, or if lengthy, we can always fashion you a page on the site! Do you have prints? Prints can be scanned. Let me know if you want to formalize things.

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 24 2007 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the prompt welcome! I suppose I'm addressing richfed's inquiry/offer: Either would be fine with me! I'd be happy to have dialogues with members about memories of my experiences, and answer specific questions; or work up longer essays in the manner of Gaston & Hurley, both of whom I well remember as fellow core group members. As I'm now "retired", I have time for such. Or if you'd like to "interview" me the way they were, that too would be fine.

As to pictures, I have a small album of photos, some taken with my Kodak DISC; others I got from other core members, mostly 35mm. There look like 69 of mine, and maybe a dozen others. Of course several are near-duplicates, and some just crappy; but there are probably 50-75 you might like IF I can get them scanned. I, too, have a friend here who can probably do it; but getting him to is another matter.

I don't know just how you'd like to use them, in an online album or whatever. You need to give me direction here. I'll see if I can get him to process a few, then send them to you, if I can figure out HOW. ( He can probably help with that, as he's a computer tech. )

This reminds me that, generally speaking, cameras on set were strictly VERBOTEN! The DISC fit into my jacket pocket when working tech, or my haversack when in uniform; so as long as I was reasonably furtive about it, I got NO hassles. I well remember during a lull in the ambush scene at Linville Falls, the first we ( the core group ) filmed, Wes Studi was leaning against a tree waiting for the troops to reset themselves, I pulled out the camera and wagged it at him. He graciously straightened himself, looked straight into my lens, and held it until I snapped! At the same time, I got Stephen Waddington to HIDE his damned CIGARETTE behind his horse's neck, so I could get a couple of shots of him.

These aren't great quality shots; but all the more precious to me for the conditions they were taken in, and the memories they bring back. I'd be happy to share them with your members, as well as more of my ramblings!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 24 2007 :  11:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! I stand in awe of you James! How very intriguing to have been part of the making of LOTM. Please do tell all! We love the movie and hearing first hand experiences would be soooooo fascinating!

Welcome to Mohican Land!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: Rev. Wheelocks School Topic Next Topic: Question about what Uncas says at Camerons cabin...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07