The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 3:31:36 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Which scenes would you change?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS! Topic Next Topic: Sequel plot poll
Page: of 3

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  1:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He was badly wounded and knew his "time had come" to go to the great hunting grounds in the next world. I doubt he was "frozen with fear" not Magua but he knew it was pointless to fight back. He was ready to die.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 31 2007 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it because he was in such a state of shock from being so quickly outclassed...everyone he had fought before he had kicked ass so soundly and here he was battered and shattered in a few seconds... he couldn't wrap his head around it....I always thought that the look he had on his face was total and utter disbelief.

"Mother of mercy .....is this the end of Rico?"

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 01 2007 :  09:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
HJ We think waaayyyy too much alike!

I've always thought that look was more than the "I'm ready to die go on and do it". Although I see that in there I also see the disbelief that an old man got medievil on him and won. That's the look I see at first then something about it changes and you can see he doesn't fear death.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - September 01 2007 :  1:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I always thought it was the "ready to die" thing, but it never sat well with me. Now that I see Hawk's explanation, I like that much better and think it fits much more with who Magua appears to be in the movie. Thanks, Hawk.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - September 01 2007 :  1:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, Hawk's thoughts ring true. Being stomped by a geezer just somehow resonates with me!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 01 2007 :  8:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Go on with your bad self, Obi!
Geezers Rawk!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 11 2008 :  12:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good fighter as Magua was, nothing is more fierce than a parent avenging their child. Great love brings great power, and when added to the well-honed fighting skills of an equally mature warrior, gave Chingy the edge over Magua.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 11 2008 :  2:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and besides, how can one person defend against a big blue hockey stick?

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 11 2008 :  10:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Point, Obi!

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - November 12 2008 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

...and besides, how can one person defend against a big blue hockey stick?

Indeed. Hockey players have enough trouble to defend themselves against normal ones

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 13 2008 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is slightly off topic, I guess, but welcome to the board, Nipponophile! Happy posting.

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 13 2008 :  11:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackfootblood

Oh, I think there will be some good discussion with some of the ideas our board members will come up with!!
Anyhow, I will have to agree with Winglo on her situation change. Uncas defiantly should of help Alice instead of Chingy.
But the one thing I would have changed in the movie would have to be the Cameron's cabin burning. We could have did without that. Who knows, maybe that family would have played an important role in the movie later on if things were changed.

I would not have let Alexandra Cameron get killed. I would have her taken captive by the band of Hurons. Even though they were moving fast, she was tough enough to keep up (Contrast Alice....) Eventually, I would have Alexandra traded to the Great Sachem, who gives Alexandra to his wife as a slave. to be continued. Perhaps an important role awaits...

We become what we think about.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2008 :  7:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, darkwoods, very interesting. Yes, Alexandra certainly would have been tough, I'm sure, and definitely better able to handle things than Alice was. Although we already have a character who shows us that--Cora. In fact, I think I would like to change how hopelessly overwhelmed Alice was by everything. I really dislike the Alice character as she is in the movie. Although I can see that it may have been necessary to the climax where she jumps.

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 17 2008 :  12:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, RedFraggle! I feel very welcome though I've only been here a week! As for what scenes I'd change, (and this I'm sure is no surprise to ANY of you), I'd like to add in a bit more vis-a-vis Uncas-Alice - more scenes, more interaction/dialogue in said scenes, so as to establish a firmer base for the course of action they take later in the movie.

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 18 2008 :  12:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome nipponophile, and thanks for your response, winglo!

I would continue the Alexandra Cameron storyline by having the wife of the Great Sachem casually discuss with Alexandra (a slave, yet a well-treated slave) how Magua's wife and children had been killed. Alexandra might begin to see a parallel with the death of her family.

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 19 2008 :  09:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Dark Woods, and thank you very much for your words of welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know the board, the site and all you posters better!

As for the topic, I would also like to see a little more back story to Chingy, Uncas and Hawkeye as a family. Don't quite how one would do that without blowing out the screen time to sequel or even trilogy length, however, particularly once all the other deleted scenes were added back in.....

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 19 2008 :  8:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good observations nipponofile regarding backstory information.

I continue my Alexandra Cameron storyline...

Alexanda is in the Huron camp when Cora and Alice are led in. When Alice is directed by the Great Sachem to become Magua's wife, the Great Sachem's wife gives Alexandra as a gift to the new couple.

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 21 2008 :  12:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Continuing my storyline, Magua, Alice, and Alexandra depart the Huron camp, with Uncas in hot pursuit.

In my version, instead of fighting when Uncas catches up; Uncas, Magua, Alice, and Alexandra hold a parley. They agree that Alice will go with Uncas, and Alexandra will go with Magua. Thus Uncas gets his girl, Magua gets a real women for his wife, and they all live happily ever after.

Irena
Pathfinder

Ukraine

November 15 2008

Posted - November 21 2008 :  04:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi!I like this film very much,but I would like it more,if there is some changes.When Uncas jumps in the falls,why doesn't he say goodbye to Alise?At first they are (kissing?) and hugging,then he rans away.Maybe Chingachgook did not teach him to take care of girls? They gave too much attention to Cora and Hawcay,but in case with Alise and Uncas there is not a single word,not a look.And where was Alise at that time? ------------Excuse me for bad English.

nipponophile
Pathfinder

November 11 2008

Posted - November 21 2008 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dark Woods, I LIKE your suggested changes!

Irina, welcome to the board! I understand your English just fine, and agree with your feelings - I too think there could have been a bit more of a focus on (and some more dialogue between) Uncas and Alice. Some actual kissing, for example, would've been great!

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 21 2008 :  1:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Trying not to get off topic, but welcome Irena!! Happy posting!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Irena
Pathfinder

Ukraine

November 15 2008

Posted - November 26 2008 :  03:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for warm words. I like this film very much, i am glad to join the board. I have a great pleasure, when i read your posts.

Diana
Pioneer

May 18 2002

Posted - November 26 2008 :  5:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings:

Forgive me if I commit a heresey but I could do WITHOUT 'the kiss' scene. Pleazzz. I do grow weary of all the PDA on the big screen. Yuchhhh.

I could do without the heart extraction too. But...I dream.

Diana

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 27 2008 :  08:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Really!!????

The Kiss scene is one of the very best on-screen romantic interludes I have ever seen. I am surprised!

Longrifle
Pioneer

April 23 2007

Posted - November 28 2008 :  12:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd change two scenes because they are historically inaccurate:

1) The opening elk hunting scene. I elk hunt and I've killed several elk and I promise you that it isn't done by running them down. Now bear hunting with hounds, that's different. That would be a situation where you actually might do some running to try and get in front of the chase to be in position for a shot. But I can't fathom a situation where you would elk hunt that way.

2) The scene on the high trail where Nathaniel picks up an extra rifle and shoots two rifles from the hip while running.....and makes two hits! And to beat all, that scene happened right after the very historically accurate scene where Nathaniel is shown reloading his rifle on the run. Frontiersmen did practice reloading while running. They did not hip shoot two long rifles while running.

"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." - Daniel Boone
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS! Topic Next Topic: Sequel plot poll  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.41 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07