The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 5:23:03 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Which scenes would you change?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS! Topic Next Topic: Sequel plot poll
Page: of 3

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - November 28 2008 :  08:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Longrifle
[
2) The scene on the high trail where Nathaniel picks up an extra rifle and shoots two rifles from the hip while running.....and makes two hits! And to beat all, that scene happened right after the very historically accurate scene where Nathaniel is shown reloading his rifle on the run. Frontiersmen did practice reloading while running. They did not hip shoot two long rifles while running.

The only rifle in the movie was the one that Hawkeye carried. The rest were smoothbores. The trade guns the Indians carried were very light, and it is possible to shoot one as he did if you have strong hands and arms. I don't, and I can hold a trade gun in one hand and shoot it. Could it be done? Yes. What is the probability it could be done and hit two targets at the same time? Slim to none.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Longrifle
Pioneer

April 23 2007

Posted - November 28 2008 :  09:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Could it be done? Yes. What is the probability it could be done and hit two targets at the same time? Slim to none." - Fitzhugh Williams

Point taken; understood. I think one might also ask, "What is the probability that an experienced rifleman would attempt it, especially on the run?" I think the answer is also "Slim to none." That's why I'd change the scene.

And thanks for the attention to detail correction about rifles and muskets. I don't know why I typed it that way, since I know the difference. I shouldn't be having senior moments at 42!

"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." - Daniel Boone

Diana
Pioneer

May 18 2002

Posted - November 28 2008 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Sorry Rich, I just can't go there on that scene. Perhaps it is because there is SO MUCH PDA on the air waves these days. Yechhh! Much more interesting when it is left to the imagination such as what some of the Mohicanlanders do here concerning Unas and Alice.

By the way, on the matter of Alexandra being carried off as a slave--remember it was Ottawa and the Frenchmen that attacked the Cameron cabin. It was a pure murder raid.

Which reminds me, if anyone has ever seen THE SEARCHERS, the same thing happened to the Edwards family. The Comanches (led by 'Scar') killed the men, raped and murdered Martha; took Lucy and eventually killed her; and kept Debbie as a slave because she was too young. I think Scar was just BENT on revenge.

Gee..this is grim.

Diana

di-mc
Pioneer

Cora 4
USA

September 03 2008

Posted - March 20 2009 :  9:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Going to resurrect this forum. I want the last scene to be changed. I hate it that the dialogue between Cora and Hawkeye was taken out. All we see are a couple nods of their heads, a kiss, that's it. I want to hear the proposal!!!!
Question for those of you who know such things - after the 3 have found their powder was wet, they jumped into the river, then after finding the women and Duncan at the Huron village, they have fire power. Where did the fresh powder come from? Can wet powder dry out and be good to use?

Diane
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 20 2009 :  11:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by di-mc
Can wet powder dry out and be good to use?

No.

I have often wondered where they got the fresh powder. Maybe took it off some dead back at Massacre Valley? Fort WH after the French left?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - March 21 2009 :  10:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's why I suggested in the thread on the "time line" that there HAD to be a longer period of time between their exit in the Cave scene and everyone's apparantly simultaneous arrival at the Huron Village. If that wasn't the case Hawkeye's party would've overtaken Magua's slower-moving raiding party, burdened with their captives, well before then.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - March 30 2009 :  09:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like how you think James! Would have loved to seen Hawkeye kick some Magua Party butt and save the D.I.D.'s. Then maybe Uncas would have lived.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 30 2009 :  12:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

.....Then maybe Uncas would have lived.

Ah yes, his name always makes me think of a price war between airlines, you know, "Cutthroat Flights"...

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - March 30 2009 :  7:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah
Ah yes, his name always makes me think of a price war between airlines, you know, "Cutthroat Flights"...

Ha Ha, Obi! However, in the DVD version they don't show him getting his throat cut. We just see blood splashing onto his neck, I believe.

Oh, and I agree with you, Diana. I could do without the Cora/Hawkeye kiss, too.

di-mc
Pioneer

Cora 4
USA

September 03 2008

Posted - March 31 2009 :  9:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks James! Your time-line sounds more reasonable. One thing that I don't like about the movie(I can't believe I said that), is that the actual time things would have taken to occur is compressed. When Hawkeye is discussing with the militia about leaving the fort, everyone seems to know about Cora, although it seems that they just got there. Not enough time would have passed for them to know her.

Diane
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS! Topic Next Topic: Sequel plot poll  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07