The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 5:22:58 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Which scenes would you change?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS! Topic Next Topic: Sequel plot poll
Page: of 3

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - August 28 2007 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is probably a thread about this somewhere in the bazillion pages of archives, but why not start afresh and get some new answers?

My question is: which scenes in LOTM would you add, change, or delete, and how and why would you change them?

Feel free to comment on the added/deleted scenes of the Director's Cut, or make up entirely new material that you feel would enhance the plot or development of the movie as it stands. I.e., stick to the characters and the general storyline without, for example, writing yourself in or adding in some total non sequitur like "Uncas was saved from death at the bottom of the cliff when friendly aliens abducted him on the way down." Or whatever.

But otherwise be as creative as you want! Now, what would you change, how, and why?
report to moderator

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 28 2007 :  2:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great question, Red. I'll have to think some more, but off the top of my head the one scene that should have been changed, and has been commented on by others in a different thread, is that Uncas, and not Chingachgook, should have helped Alice off the massacre battlefield.

Even if you don't agree that Alice was in love with Uncas (as I know you and some others do not), it would have strengthened the position that he had feelings for her, which is necessary to the reason for the final scene where he runs up the cliffs and fights for her life. I may be dumb, but I hardly picked up his interest in her the first time I saw the movie. I had to watch it twice.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 28 2007 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, I think there will be some good discussion with some of the ideas our board members will come up with!!
Anyhow, I will have to agree with Winglo on her situation change. Uncas defiantly should of help Alice instead of Chingy.
But the one thing I would have changed in the movie would have to be the Cameron's cabin burning. We could have did without that. Who knows, maybe that family would have played an important role in the movie later on if things were changed.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  09:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I never like the river chase scene but I won't rewrite it today as my imagination is terribly silly at the moment and I don't want to offend anyone or insult their love and respect of the characters.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  10:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

I don't want to offend anyone or insult their love and respect of the characters.

never stopped you before

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ok you asked for it....

The group paddles across the river when Duncas glares at Hunk-eye. How dare that stud steal his sugar when she was so close to becoming his bride? And then that rascal had to call his bluff and expose him for a liar. A sudden since of revenge came over Cpn. Crunch.
He pulled his pistol and aimed it at our beloved frontiersman.
Hawkeye looks to the Major. "Nothing better to do on the lake today, Major?"
Before BBQ can answer he gets whapped in the head with an oar by accident and falls into the lake unconscience.
Being put off by his lies and cowardice ways Cora shouts, "Leave him be. Save us helpless flowers from the Magua!"
So they paddle on.

Good enough? Or should I continue? After all who's gonna roast in the huron fire. Who's gonna' call Hawkeye a coward for jumping the falls? I really could continue!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  4:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, please don't continue. I don't want to see this thread password protected too!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  4:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good one Obi.

IG

susank2
Colonial Settler

USA

August 25 2007

Posted - August 29 2007 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would change the scene where Uncas dies when he is fighting Magua. He is totally kick-ass up to that point and then Magua complely dominates him! I would have made it that Uncas at least does SOME damage to Magua. He should be hurtin' some before he kills Uncas.

I would also define the Uncas/Alice relationship more. I know the main romance is Hawkeye and Cora, but geez...give us a little more to go on with the Alice/Uncas thing! Under the waterfall would have been a good place. Wish they had left that scene in.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2007 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I wish that silly girl Alice had not jumped but gone with "manly Magua" to wherever he was taking her and Magua would have had some "fun" with Ms. Alice in his tepee. Maybe that would have brought a smile to her face for a change.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 29 2007 :  6:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

No, please don't continue. I don't want to see this thread password protected too!

LOL!!!
I just can't have any fun.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 29 2007 :  7:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Hee hee. Hence the winky face in my original question. Speaking of which, I guess I'll answer too.

Something that has always bothered me is the escape from the ambush after leaving the fort. Ching's saving Alice is odd, I agree, if we are supposed to think that Uncas has feelings for her. Uncas himself totally disappears for a while, as does Duncan.

The continuity of the entire escape scene bugs me. Example: We see Duncan giving commands to his men, then falling down an embankment, still wearing his full uniform. The next time we see him, he's in a canoe on the lake, his coat is missing, his waistcoat is unbuttoned, and his shirt is hanging open. The way the scenes are shot, it looks like he was already on the lake before Hawkeye, Ching, and the girls got the idea of escaping by boat. So how'd he get to the lake so fast, and where are the rest of his clothes? I can understand fleeing from the ambush, but if you were being chased by rampaging enemies, would you really stop and think, "It's so bloody hot. I'll just pause and make myself more comfortable before continuing my escape," and proceed to undress? I don't think so. Then Uncas comes swimming up to Duncan's canoe. Where'd he come from?

All that to say that I would like to see a scene that ties the loose ends together. We know how Hawkeye, Ching, and the Munro girls got to the boats, but how did everybody else get there? And, while we're at it, maybe we could see them picking up Soldiers 1 and 2 from the battlefield. From what I remember, they just sort of come out of nowhere too.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - August 30 2007 :  12:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would have put in the sequence where Uncas got the wound that Cora is bandaging in the fort. We missed a good fight there.

About Duncan's coat .. I wouldn't worry too much about that...he never did stay consistant .. remember when they were moving the girls to the fort by swimming beside the canoes....where was Duncan? Maybe he was hiding in the bottom of that canoe under the girls cuz he sure wasn't where I could see him. Hawkeye and the rest got wet but when Duncan reported he was bone dry..

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - August 30 2007 :  1:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

About Duncan's coat .. I wouldn't worry too much about that...he never did stay consistant .. remember when they were moving the girls to the fort by swimming beside the canoes....where was Duncan? Maybe he was hiding in the bottom of that canoe under the girls cuz he sure wasn't where I could see him. Hawkeye and the rest got wet but when Duncan reported he was bone dry..

You know, you're right. Arrrgh! These consistency things really bother me. But then again, I used to be an editor, and reading for consistency was a big part of my job. I hate it when things--be it storylines, spelling and grammar, or movie scenes--just don't mesh!

BTW, I've liked reading everybody's answers so far. Very interesting, and a good break from studying!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 30 2007 :  1:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

I can understand fleeing from the ambush, but if you were being chased by rampaging enemies, would you really stop and think, "It's so bloody hot. I'll just pause and make myself more comfortable before continuing my escape," and proceed to undress? I don't think so. Then Uncas comes swimming up to Duncan's canoe. Where'd he come from?

All that to say that I would like to see a scene that ties the loose ends together. We know how Hawkeye, Ching, and the Munro girls got to the boats, but how did everybody else get there?

Red, you are so funny. I love the way you inserted that little quote from Duncan.

Speaking of continuity with this scene, when they are getting in the canoes, Uncas gets in, in front of Alice. But, when we see the canoes out on the lake he is behind Alice and Hawkeye is in front of her. I always wondered how that happened.

Some of these continuity issues may be VHS vs DVD, but it's more likely poor editing. I know in the VHS version (which I usually watch because I like it better), we do see Uncas go over the side of the canoe he is in and surface at Duncan's canoe. I don't know about the DVD version.

And, I absolutely agree, Hawkeye, that the scene when Uncas gets his wound would have helped make the scene in the surgery with him getting bandaged more understandable.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 30 2007 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

I would have put in the sequence where Uncas got the wound that Cora is bandaging in the fort. We missed a good fight there.

Yet, another detail I overlooked in the movie. Something like that could have been good for a question in the trivia thread. Details...it's all in the details.

BTW Red...Uncas swimming up to Duncan's canoe, just before that you do see him hop from his canoe and then the scene cuts to him climbing in the next one. I guess to help them get up some speed?
Anyway, I just never really liked that scene in particular either.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 30 2007 :  10:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I just spotted the reason why Magua lost to Chingachgeezer after just whomping his kid:

When fighting Uncas, Magua holds his 'hawk in his left hand (in an upright position) while holding his knife in his right in a forward (or thrusting) position. Now, just minutes later when the old man comes charging up the hill with death in his eyes, Magua again draws his blades, but this time he holds his 'hawk in his right hand (still upright) and his knife in his left hand with the blade in a downward position. Poor tactics there, bud. Then again, Uncas might have fared better if he had had a big blue hockey stick like Daddy's...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 31 2007 :  12:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"I am not left handed either!"

Wesley, "The Princess Bride"

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  08:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So perhaps Magua would have preferred to be fighting Inigo Montoya right about then?

"You killed my father; prepare to die!"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 31 2007 :  09:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, he couldn't have done any worse that he did fighting Ching.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  11:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now, why exactly did Magua just stand there with that deer-in-the-headlights look as Chingy prepared to deliver the coup de gras??? Shouldn't he have been moving away or counter-attacking or whatever? DON'T JUST STAND THERE; DO SOMETHING!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - August 31 2007 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

So perhaps Magua would have preferred to be fighting Inigo Montoya right about then?

"You killed my father; prepare to die!"

AH! The Princess Bride!
I Indigo Montoya! That hottie of a spaniard is definately worth a double take!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 31 2007 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Now, why exactly did Magua just stand there with that deer-in-the-headlights look as Chingy prepared to deliver the coup de gras??? Shouldn't he have been moving away or counter-attacking or whatever? DON'T JUST STAND THERE; DO SOMETHING!!

Well, the truth of the matter is he had a broken leg, so the fight scene had to be curtailed.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  1:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Didn't he also have a broken arm?.

Actually I have never seen "The Princess Bride".

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  1:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Princess Bride is one of those rare movies that is actually better than the book, IMO.

The is a new movie out even as we speak that is being very favorably compared to Princess Bride. It's called Stardust and it is excellent! Robert DiNiro is drop-dead hilarious!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 31 2007 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I have often wondered that myself. At least Uncas died while trying to counter attack. It seems so out of character for Magua.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL DAY-LEWIS! Topic Next Topic: Sequel plot poll  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07