The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/4/2024 4:46:41 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 A really oddly staged scene in LOTM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: New DDL Interview Topic Next Topic: When will they remake LOTM again?  

sidony
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 21 2002

Posted - October 04 2002 :  11:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else think that the scene where Duncan, Cora and Alice are having tea in a field (???) was awkwardly staged? I mean, what the heck are they doing having tea in the middle of nowhere? Wouldn't they have it at the barrack?

report to moderator

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - October 05 2002 :  07:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, I felt the same way. I felt that MM thought, "Humm, a lovely field. Instead of a picnic, however, I think a tea party would be more appropriate." I think maybe it was to show us the type of social background that Cora/Alice/Duncan had lived in for years. It was probably to prepare us to how each character would deal with the hardships they were about to encounter. At first Duncan was shown as a wussy little coward, Alice a terrified little child; Cora was always courageous, she could go from tea party to prisoner with the best of them; then Duncan proved himself a decent person by sacrificing himself for the woman he loved. Alice was always a tea party person, she was never able to adapt to the wilderness.

Keneta
"Never reveal your name.
Never turn your back.
Never surrender your
heart."
-The Saint
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 05 2002 :  09:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Remember ... this was set in Albany - the city - not at the barracks. At the patroon's [or, was it Poltroon's????] house, as a matter of fact. Doesn't seem out of place, to me, at all.

Nice literary assessment, Keneta!

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - October 05 2002 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Duncan wasn't a wussy, I should clarify that----he DID get out there and fight hard and bravely all the time. He was just a backstabbing, lying, butt-kisser, you know, we all have a Duncan or two or three at our work places, eh??????

Keneta
"Never reveal your name.
Never turn your back.
Never surrender your
heart."
-The Saint

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

September 17 2002

Posted - October 05 2002 :  3:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sincerely, I like that scene. I know what you mean, Sidony, but you should consider that, however, a tea-party in that field it's not so bad in that particular situation...

sidony
Pioneer

June 21 2002

Posted - October 05 2002 :  10:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Richfed, what exactly is a Poltroon's house? By the way, I agree with you about Keneta's post. Keneta, thanks for a really interesting anad well-considered response to my question. I never thought of the scene that way, but now it makes sense. I like the way your mind works!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 06 2002 :  05:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
See here: http://www.mohicanpress.com/wwwboard/messages/42.html from our Old Mohican Board Archives!

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2002 :  08:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The (or at least a) Patroon's house, as it looked at the time, about a mile north of the center of old Albany:

Van Rensselaer Manor House

~~Aim small, miss small.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 06 2002 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, I just noticed your only an "o" away from being a Patroon yourself!

~~Aim small, miss small.

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - October 21 2002 :  10:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Scott,
Don't forget that inside the barracks would have been (1) where the footsoldiers lived; (2) dark, crowded, and smelly; (3) inside, while it was obviously a very nice day out.

Also, along the lines of what everyone has already said about the patroon's house, the house would have been in fields. Albany was, afterall, in the wilderness of the western frontier.

Just another thought!

YHOS,
Pvt. Chauncey

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 22 2002 :  07:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Pvt. Chauncey:
Scott,
Don't forget that inside the barracks would have been (1) where the footsoldiers lived; (2) dark, crowded, and smelly; (3) inside, while it was obviously a very nice day out.

Also, along the lines of what everyone has already said about the patroon's house, the house would have been in fields. Albany was, afterall, in the wilderness of the western frontier.

Just another thought!

YHOS,
Pvt. Chauncey

Hi, Pvt. Was that for Sidony?

Just another thought--the Poltroon's house was a center of power and authority of a system that predated even the British. As Keneta says, it establishes the characters' social background and enhances the contrast with the frontier folk.

I see Rich has gone to being Sachem.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Mylene
Pathfinder

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)

November 07 2002

Posted - November 16 2002 :  12:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Mylene an AOL message  Send Mylene a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Keneta

I felt that MM thought, "Humm, a lovely field. Instead of a picnic, however, I think a tea party would be more appropriate." I think maybe it was to show us the type of social background that Cora/Alice/Duncan had lived in for years. It was probably to prepare us to how each character would deal with the hardships they were about to encounter. At first Duncan was shown as a wussy little coward, Alice a terrified little child; Cora was always courageous, she could go from tea party to prisoner with the best of them; then Duncan proved himself a decent person by sacrificing himself for the woman he loved. Alice was always a tea party person, she was never able to adapt to the wilderness.

I completely agree with this. I know it was a while ago, but deal with it...I think that scene was meant for a transition from their normal lifestyle of tea and dressing up and what not, to one of blood and battles, with terror, fear, and anger. This also shows that no one can remain themselves in the midst of danger, and everyoen chances when times get rough, although you could almost never imagine someone as proper and "high strung" as Duncan to be involved in such a gory movie, eh?

Silence is golden...but shouting is fun!

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - November 17 2002 :  4:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL! you're right! I guess when theres danger around every turn, people become more intent on defense, survival, and the resources around them, and while everyone probably thinks back to the "good old days" you just have to grit your teeth and move on. Alice, on the other hand, never really realized that "hey! this is real!" and that its not just a bad dream, and you have to stop relying on someone else to protect you. For instance, when she jumps of the cliff, I think she realizes that theres no one left to protect her, and that she has no hope. Maybe if she had "come around" sooner, then she wouldn't have commit suicide.

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - November 22 2002 :  5:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hmmmmm...the field thing was really weird, but then again, think about it...all the houses were quatering troops, aka smelly dirty, cursing, brutal soldiers....who wants to have a picnic/tea in a place like that?

Le Poisson Rouge Seudois du Chaos
Conspiracy of One

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - November 23 2002 :  12:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You have to think though, this was in the middle of a war, your resourses are kinda limited, so of course Duncan didn't want his dear Cora to witness to stuff like that, but it must have been funny to watch everyone moving the tables and things out into a field...I would have like to see that.

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro
  Previous Topic: New DDL Interview Topic Next Topic: When will they remake LOTM again?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07