The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/4/2024 6:28:21 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 When will they remake LOTM again?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: A really oddly staged scene in LOTM Topic Next Topic: Daniel and Madeleine together again
Page: of 2

sidony
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 21 2002

Posted - October 30 2002 :  10:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long do you think it will be before another film version of LOTM is made? It's really interesting to wonder if they'll stick with the Hawkeye/Cora romance in Mann's film, or follow the book.

report to moderator

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2002 :  11:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings Sidony,
You know, I think that's a very good question.
It'll be a difficult remake in comparison with the "first VHS" version, but hey, they just came out with a new Disney "Beauty & the Beast"....
caitlin

"Hakuna Matata"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  09:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to see a sequal to LOTM instead of a remake, or for someone to dramatise the Sara Donati books which tell the story of Hawkeye and Cora's son.

Did anyone watch the awful TV series called Hawkeye? I know Daniel Day Lewis is a hard act to follow but they got Hawkeye all wrong for that show.

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  10:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I recall seeing this TV show once or twice; I don't remember who was cast as Hawkeye but wasn't Linda Carter (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) the female lead? If this is the same show you're referring to, you are right - it was AWFUL!

As for a sequel to LOTM, that's a pretty good idea. I wonder if Michael Mann would consider such a project???

Rattlesnake Woman

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  10:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Diane,

That is the show you are thinking of. The actor who played Chingachgook played Wind In His Hair in Dances With Wolves and Eric Shweig had a guest role on it too!

The only problem with a sequal would be, what if Daniel Day Lewis and Madeleine Stowe dont want to do it?! I dont think I could watch other actors take their place.

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  11:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Diane,

I remember seeing a couple of the Hawkeye shows. I agree - wasn't high quality, that's for sure. But I did notice that either at the beginning or end, there's a quick glimpse of what I'm sure was the surrender of the Fort - right out of the movie. Shows the parade of British marching between the French lining the road. Can anyone verify that?

Jayne

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  12:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was Lee Horsley in the Hawkeye role. Yes, Jayne, I am sure the surrender of the fort was right out of the movie. I remember it clearly. I don't think that I could bear to have LOTM remade in the near future. Our LOTM is just about perfect--only more romance for Uncas could have made it better. There can be no other Hawkeye for me but Daniel and no other Cora, only Madeleine.

I must admit that I was unaware that anyone had written sequels to the original novel.

Morgaine

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  4:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Morgaine wrote:
quote:
There can be no other Hawkeye for me but Daniel and no other Cora, only Madeleine.

I agree with you 100% on that! Madeleine was perfectly cast as Cora, and I cannot imagine any other actor even attempting to fill DDL's breechcloth!

Rattlesnake Woman

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  9:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ellie:
I would like to see a sequal to LOTM instead of a remake, or for someone to dramatise the Sara Donati books which tell the story of Hawkeye and Cora's son.

Hey Ellie,
I would like to see this, too. I remember Sara saying that she would want Daniel Day-Lewis to play the role of Nathaniel should her books ever be made into a movie. And as much as I would like to see this, I think he's past the age to make that work.

Theresa

sidony
Pioneer

June 21 2002

Posted - October 31 2002 :  11:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ellie and Diane, as much as I would LOVE to see Madeleine and Daniel in another film together, I'm not sure about a LOTM sequel. I think it might be straying too far from the book.

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - November 01 2002 :  03:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree that a sequal set directly after LOTM wouldnt really work, but the Sara Donati books are set further into the future when Hawkeye is an old man and he and Cora's son is grown up with his own life. The books are great, Keneta pointed them out to me and I am so grateful as they are the best I have read in a long time.

I cant think of any actor who could play Nathaniel Bonner from the Donati books though, no one seems to come close to Day Lewis. The role of Elizabeth Middleton in the Donati series would be my ideal role if I were an actress (also Elizabeth Bennet would be another) but I am just letting my imagination carry me away...

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 01 2002 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ellie, what did you think of "Lake in the Clouds"?

Theresa

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - November 01 2002 :  08:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Theresa,

I haven't read that one yet, I am waiting for Dawn From A Distant Shore to arrive on order. I loved Into The Wilderness, one of the most gripping reads in a long while. I just cant wait to find out what happens next with the Bonners and I miss them, if that doesnt sound too strange!

Are Dawn On A ... and Lake In The Clouds worth waiting for??? I just looked at my previous message and mentioned books when I had only read one, I am just assuming the others are great too!

Ellie.

Edited by - Ellie on November 01 2002 08:05:47 AM

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 01 2002 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Ellie,

DOADS is a good read. It takes you to Scotland and you learn of Hawkeye's heritage. A LOT of adventure.

LITC takes up about eight years after DOADS ends. It concentrates more on Hannah. It's good but has less of the Nathaniel/Elizabeth storyline. I'm about to reread it and take my time doing it because I always miss some very important things when I read the first time.

If you're interested you can check out the message board for these books at

www.intothewilderness@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank">www.intothewilderness@yahoogroups.com

Enjoy!

Theresa

Gasaka Soquilla
Pioneer

Duel Heritage
USA

October 17 2002

Posted - November 03 2002 :  1:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gasaka Soquilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
O'Siyo,
a couple years ago I dreamt aloud on the old Mohican board that I wish MM would continue the saga with "The Deerslayer". ;-)

But I agree, I couldnt imagine a better pairing than MS & DDL as Cora and Hawkeye!

Cheers,
GasakaSoquilla
a.k.a.
Sjt. Scobie
Geneway's Co'y, Butler's Rangers
1777-1784

"They waged a bloody, no-quarter war,
and were paid back in kind."

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Capt. Lewis Geneway's Company of Butler's Rangers:
http://www.iaw.on.ca/~awoolley/brang/brlgcoy.html
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 03 2002 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The BBC did a pretty decent version back in the early seventies.

They also did The Pathfinder.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - November 03 2002 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa:
Ellie, what did you think of "Lake in the Clouds"?

Theresa

I really liked LITC. And now I must go, I've 30 more pages to go on my reread of INTO THE WILDERNESS. I'm trying to decide whether to start my reread of DAWN ON A DISTANT SHORE now or later. Ack, probably now!!!

Keneta (SasaLucy)
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 03 2002 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kenata,

I'm about to start my reread of LITC tonight. I believe I read it too fast the first time because after reading some of the posts on that bulletin board things are mentioned that I don't remember. Enjoy!

Theresa

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - November 04 2002 :  06:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
<<Kenata,
I'm about to start my reread of LITC tonight. I believe I read it too fast the first time because after reading some of the posts on that bulletin board things are mentioned that I don't remember. Enjoy!>>

Is there a Sara Donati novel message board? If so, point me there. You don't mean the Yahoogroup discussion group do you? I've tried it twice, but nobody ever wanted to discuss the novels with me.

Keneta (SasaLucy)

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 04 2002 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

quote:
Is there a Sara Donati novel message board? If so, point me there. You don't mean the Yahoogroup discussion group do you? I've tried it twice, but nobody ever wanted to discuss the novels with me.

Keneta, that's the only one that I'm aware of. Know what you mean about little indepth discussion. Perhaps the two of us could have our own discussion. Email me!

Theresa

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - November 06 2002 :  6:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Keneta, that's the only one that I'm aware of. Know what you mean about little indepth discussion. Perhaps the two of us could have our own discussion. Email me!

Theresa, I emailed you. I would love to discuss the novels whether by email or on my yahoogroups private discussion group: Lake_In_the_Clouds. I created to to discuss all three novels, but no one on the list likes to discuss, ack!

Keneta (SasaLucy)

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 06 2002 :  6:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Keneta, I don't think I got your email. How do I get to your private discussion group?

Theresa

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - November 06 2002 :  8:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Keneta, I don't think I got your email. How do I get to your private discussion group?
Theresa..>>

I'll send you an invitation, then you can go to Yahoogroups and join. Anyone else want an invitation?

Keneta (SasaLucy)

Keneta
Pioneer

Uncas
USA

September 07 2002

Posted - November 06 2002 :  8:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Keneta a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, I just realized that I can't send out personal invitations without anyone's email address, so anyone who wants to join my Sara Donati discussion group, email me at: Kenetak@wmconnect.com
I'll send you an invite from Yahoogroups, then you can respond to the invite and join.

Keneta (SasaLucy)

English Trader
Pioneer

The English Trader
USA

June 25 2002

Posted - November 09 2002 :  1:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit English Trader's Homepage  Send English Trader an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I, too, would like to see the remainder of Cooper's Hawkeye stories done in movie. I know some are prequels for which we would need a different actor (same for Chingachgook) and some sequels for which DDL's age would be well-suited.

Unfortunately, that would mean no Cora, since she didn't live in Cooper's books the way she did in Mann's movie.

Just supposing, though, that someone did a prequel -- who would play a younger Hawkeye???? Any thoughts??

YHOS,
English Trader

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 09 2002 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by English Trader

...she didn't live in Cooper's books the way she did in Mann's movie...

It's been a long time since I read 'em, but if I rembember correctly, Hawkeye was one of those heroes who went out of his way to avoid getting the girl.

~~Aim small, miss small.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: A really oddly staged scene in LOTM Topic Next Topic: Daniel and Madeleine together again  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.56 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07