The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 3:18:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Who's who?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Magua and Alice Topic Next Topic: Favorite Characteristic Poll
Page: of 2

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 18 2004

Posted - October 19 2006 :  9:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If you could choose from the list of characters which one would best match your personality and why?

I know it's kinda' heavy on the guy's side so do your best Ladies!

Choices:

Hawkeye
Uncas
Ching
Magua
Montcalm
Col. Monro
General Webb
Duncan
Cora
Alice
Alexandra Cameron
Screaming Huron Lady
Captain Jack

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
report to moderator

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2006 :  10:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay I'll get the ball rolling on this one. Not much choice for us ladies so of the two choices I picked Cora as I would definitely have picked up a weapon and defended myself. She was a strong woman and could certainly "fend for herself" and watched out for her little sister. I do wish you had put Alexandra Cameron in there Light as I could relate to her more being a wife and mother and taking care of her husband and children. She loved her husband but had a "soft spot" in particular for our dear Uncas. See how I managed to bring it all back to Uncas again. I think she was a very courageous woman to go to the frontier and live there with her family knowing the dangers that faced them every day and the struggle to survive.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2006 :  06:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You might add Alexandra Cameron to give the ladies another option. Then again, you might also add the old Huron lady from the village who is yelling at Hawkeye when he comes to talk to Sachem. Some of us might be more like her!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 20 2006 :  2:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So it's interesting that everyone who's voted so far has picked either Hawkeye or Cora. I picked Cora too, but was tempted to say Magua just for fun.

I'd at least *try* to act like Cora if faced with the same situation. I don't think I could just surrender without trying, like Alice, but I wouldn't be capable of being a Hawkeye or Uncas either. And being Cora wouldn't be so bad---I mean, I'd end up with Hawkeye, right? Something tells me there are worse things....

By the way, I like the idea of adding the old Huron lady. I feel like that myself some days.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2006 :  3:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is anyone going to be brave enough to say Duncan????

IG

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2006 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

You might add Alexandra Cameron to give the ladies another option. Then again, you might also add the old Huron lady from the village who is yelling at Hawkeye when he comes to talk to Sachem. Some of us might be more like her!

Hey! You talkin' about me, Stephanie?!!!
I'll start yellin' at you!

Nancy

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 22 2006 :  9:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, well I can't edit the poll but throw Alexandra Cameron and the Yelling Huron woman.
Sorry gals, it just didn't cross my mind.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2006 :  6:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I picked Ching for the obvious reason: GEEZER!!!

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2006 :  9:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL Nancy, yep I was talking about you. How did you guess? Hahaha actually I was referring to myself, but I'm only that way when I'm driving!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 25 2006 :  06:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Added those choices to the poll.

This is a tough one to answer ... will do so one day -- when I make up my mind!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 26 2006 :  8:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

I picked Ching for the obvious reason: GEEZER!!!

Rock On Old Man!

I chose the screaming huron woman...it would give me an excuse to run my mouth on a man!

By the way...Thanks Rich for adding those choices!

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - November 01 2006 :  06:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Okay I'll get the ball rolling on this one. Not much choice for us ladies so of the two choices I picked Cora as I would definitely have picked up a weapon and defended myself. She was a strong woman and could certainly "fend for herself" and watched out for her little sister. I do wish you had put Alexandra Cameron in there Light as I could relate to her more being a wife and mother and taking care of her husband and children. She loved her husband but had a "soft spot" in particular for our dear Uncas. See how I managed to bring it all back to Uncas again. I think she was a very courageous woman to go to the frontier and live there with her family knowing the dangers that faced them every day and the struggle to survive.

Ditto Ditto Ditto ...

I too voted for Cora.

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 02 2006 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lady I would have voted for Alexandra Cameron but Rich only added her after I had voted. Guess I am stuck with Cora. Still she would have been my next pick.

I see someone voted for Duncan. Fess up who was it???

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 02 2006 :  10:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon
(Snipped)

I chose the screaming huron woman...it would give me an excuse to run my mouth on a man!

Perhaps you would like to re-phrase that?!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 05 2006 :  12:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
(Snipped)

Perhaps you would like to re-phrase that?!

Hu-hu...don't think so babe!
And don't make me start up on ya'. Me an' my bak woods familee will haf' ta' danse with ya'! Betturn git yurn gun!

Hey Rich did you ever decide on a vote or what man! Oh wait a minute! A light just came on...someone voted for Duncan but never fessed up to it. Was it you?

cuthron
Pathfinder

Huron
Finland

July 27 2005

Posted - November 05 2006 :  12:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see that I was only second one who voted for Duncan. Surely I can imagine that every mans dream is to be like hawkeye or uncas, but I just see myself more in Duncan's place. He, like Alice and Cora was ripped out from their safe environment to the wilderness, but he faced it like any man who is doing his duty. Maybe not without fear but without doubt what to do, and finally he sacrificed his life for the woman he loved, like uncas did later.

Harri

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 05 2006 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually Cuthron Duncan showed courage since day one. When he first arrived he questioned the commanding generals tactics in bargining with the locals, - not something usually done today or back then. Then when the English are meeting with Montcalm about surrending the fort, - he recommends going back behind the ramparts and fighting to the death. Then at the ending - he displays more courage, and volunteers for some stupid reason to get toasted.

you can keep "The Change"

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 05 2006 :  7:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Actually Cuthron Duncan showed courage since day one. When he first arrived he questioned the commanding generals tactics in bargining with the locals, - not something usually done today or back then. Then when the English are meeting with Montcalm about surrending the fort, - he recommends going back behind the ramparts and fighting to the death. Then at the ending - he displays more courage, and volunteers for some stupid reason to get toasted.

I guess ol' Duncan could get away with questioning Webb's tactics, since Webb was completely spineless & wouldn't do anything about it (sorta like Custer & Benteen)...but "fighting to the death??" That would be very atypical of any European professional officer. When any European army was beseiged by a superior force, they would hold out just long enough to satisfy the "honors of war" & then surrender...and were then allowed to march out with their colors & arms, etc. Interestingly enough, this practice was stopped later in the F&IW by the victorious Brits (what happend to "fair play?"). IIRC, the Redcoat general who 1st put a stop to that "honor of war" stuff was the lovely Lord Jeffrey Amherst, himself.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 05 2006 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I doubt Duncan or any officer was about to confront a superior officer at first meeting, - in any armed force, - in any country. Fighting to the death is what he recommened in the movie, - what's left to say? He also didn't say adios to the chicks in the cave, - when the NA's said "see ya' later girls, we're outta here". No, he and Magua are the only two characters that showed any real backbone.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 06 2006 :  07:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't know if Duncan and Magua are the *only* two who showed backbone (I think Cora, for her part, shows some), but I have to agree that Duncan isn't the weenie he's sometimes taken to be. He did stay with the girls in the cave and did, after all, sacrifice himself for their good at the end. Both of those things take courage, in my book.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 06 2006 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree about Duncan (yeah, me!). He calmly chose death to save the women's lives, while Uncas just ran up the hill willy-nilly to be killed by our boy Magua. I think Uncas should have spent less time making googoo eyes at the ladies and more time practicing with knife & tomahawk!

Yessireebob, Duncan is twice the man as Uncas could ever dream of being!

PS--Uncas-bashing is so much fun, don't you think?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 06 2006 :  11:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uh oh, Obediah...

I think you're in danger of a bashing yourself--from the Uncas lovers, anyway! I think I can hear Irishgirl coming with her big stick and Light loading her musket. Better run!

By the way, rare to find someone else who has a positive view of Duncan's character. Maybe we should start a support group. (kidding!)

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  07:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Hey now!Be nice ... ! 'Running up the hill willy nilly, indeed! Huh! While I do believe that Uncas was perhaps a bit rash in running off to save the gal without first waiting for some backup, the man was being all heroic ... Ok, so he died trying ... but he sure made our hearts beat a heck of a lot faster just for trying.

As for Duncan ... I dont think he and Magua were the only ones who displayed spine and courage. I think perhaps there was a bit of that in ALL the main characters.

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 07 2006 :  07:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nobody flunks huh? In real life they do.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  10:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I agree about Duncan (yeah, me!). He calmly chose death to save the women's lives, while Uncas just ran up the hill willy-nilly to be killed by our boy Magua. I think Uncas should have spent less time making googoo eyes at the ladies and more time practicing with knife & tomahawk!

Yessireebob, Duncan is twice the man as Uncas could ever dream of being!

OOOHHHHHH YOU!
How do they say it in the film, oh yes, you had better "ask death for speed" on that comment pal!!! My musket is loaded and
ready! And just in case you're wondering I used a silk weave, another 40 yards! Hope you run fast!!!

And Lady...I'll side with you.

Lotte
Pathfinder

United Kingdom

August 08 2006

Posted - November 07 2006 :  1:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Obediah

I agree about Duncan (yeah, me!). He calmly chose death to save the women's lives

Naturally, he was a gentleman after all.

"The whole world's on fire, isn't it?"
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Magua and Alice Topic Next Topic: Favorite Characteristic Poll  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.66 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07