The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 11:18:57 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Duncan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Favorite Characteristic Poll Topic Next Topic: Wheres Russell
Page: of 3

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 18 2004

Posted - July 15 2006 :  7:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Would you marry Duncan after he lied about the war party and massacre?

Choices:

Yes
No

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
report to moderator

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - July 15 2006 :  9:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I wouldn't marry Duncan whether he lied or not..
I think Cora was of the same opinion..
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 16 2006 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Who in their right mind would want to marry that moron? Rather stay a spinster or become a nun

IG

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 16 2006 :  10:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Who in their right mind would want to marry that moron? Rather stay a spinster or become a nun

Absolutely! He is definitely not someone I would forgive after that.

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 16 2006 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hummm..... I guess he won't be coming to the next Gathering!!!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 16 2006 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well wait just a minute here, Duncan-bashers. He ain't so bad! He's just human. You are judging him from your armchair in the 21st century, but put yourself in his time period, with his background. In Duncan's world, he was doing the only thing he knew: support a superior officer in making the world England. Sir. Probably the military is all he knew and he possibly really didn't understand what was going on in the colonies. He wasn't exactly truthful about what he saw, but are all of you so perfect that you can stand in judgement of him? No one here has ever had a weak moment? Have you ever supported a superior or a friend in the face of strangers even if you weren't sure you were right?

Now think of this... wasn't Duncan standing in the background a good distance when Uncas, Hawkeye, and Chingachgook were discussing the fact that the mirrors and other goods were still there? Perhaps to Duncan's untrained eye, it DID look like nothing more than a war party. "I saw nothing" doesn't mean that he is calling the other men liars, he is just saying that from his point of view, it looked like just a war party. Perhaps he just didn't know what to think of the whole thing?
Give the guy a break. In the end he did a brave and noble thing. Those of you who judge Duncan ask yourselves if you would have been brave enough to do the same before you judge him too harshly.

And besides, he hasn't asked you to marry him anyway.
Steph <stepping down off the soapbox>

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 16 2006 :  8:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Steph, not a matter or whether he lied or not. I would not want him in any case. Just not my "cup of tea". You defend him very well though. You should be a lawyer you know.

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - July 16 2006 :  9:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's right. If I ever needed someone to defend me in a court of law, I'd like you to represent me, Stephanie.
You've definitely created reasonable doubt in my mind about Duncan's guilt.

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 17 2006 :  02:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by StephanieAnd besides, he hasn't asked you to marry him anyway.

No, he hasnt ... and he certainly isnt likely to , is he? But well done, youve defended him quite admirably ... you even had me going!

Lady of Glencairn

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 17 2006 :  2:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys, for listening to another opinion. Now of course I have to ask the question: IF you were in love with Duncan, and he "lied" about the Cameron massacre, what would you do?

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 18 2006 :  02:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
*sings* Hit the road Jack, and dont you come back no more, no more, no more, no more ....*

Seriously though, the case youve presented in his favour is pretty compelling ... but I prefer my men with a mind of their own. So he needed to 'make the world English' and the military was all he knew, etc ... but that to me is not strong enough motivation. To me Duncan seemed very much like a follower rather than a leader ... perhaps thats just because Nathaniel had such a commanding presence that it seemed to overshadow whatever authoritative power Duncan had. But Im getting sidetracked here ...

Bottom line, I like my guys with a bit more of a backbone.

Lady of Glencairn

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 18 2006 :  7:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well said Lady. I have to say I could never imagine me being "in love" with Duncan but if pigs learned how to fly and the world was taken over by Aliens and I got hypnotized into thinking that I was then I would probably forgive him for his "lie" and try to mold him into the man I would like him to be.

IG

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - July 18 2006 :  8:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hey Irish....and that man would be Uncas??

Uncas: "some food"

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 19 2006 :  05:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha! @ IG! Now that sounds like a plan ... I imagine once again we are headed back to my statement about cloning ... If that were indeed possible, we would not have to share.

Lady of Glencairn

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2006 :  08:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh yes, back to the cloning alright. We would need quite a few Uncas's to go around everyone that wants one. Know any mad Scientists who would care to carry out our devious cloning plan??

Meg, you know me so well. That man would indeed be Uncas... heehee.

Since we are on the subject of Duncan, I just watched a movie last night with him in it. I have never seen him in any other movie other than LOTM so was quite surprised to see him in "The Hole". It is a movie set in England revolving around the disappearance of 4 teens from a very fancy school. Keira Knightley is also in this one. Duncan, or should I say Steven, plays an English Police Detective trying to get to the truth of what really happened. It is a good movie. Just thought I would mention it as, like I said, never seen him in any other movies.

IG

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 19 2006 :  09:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Steven probably looks strange without his military garb ... particularly since (I assume) youve become really used to seeing him in it when watching LOTM over and over and over and over ...

Lady of Glencairn

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2006 :  12:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Poor Duncan. He has been so very much maligned on this board, as has his real persona, Steven Waddington. Stephanie, you did not fail me! I had hoped you would come to Duncan's defense, yet again.

Ladies. Setting Duncan aside, I would like for you all to go to this site and take a look at a very talented, and very versatile actor. www.sherryweb.com/steven Then come back here and share your changed thoughts regarding Steven.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 19 2006 :  12:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Hummm..... I guess he won't be coming to the next Gathering!!!

Yes...We'll have our knives ready and sharpened for him!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 19 2006 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

Well wait just a minute here, Duncan-bashers. He ain't so bad! He's just human. You are judging him from your armchair in the 21st century, but put yourself in his time period, with his background. In Duncan's world, he was doing the only thing he knew: support a superior officer in making the world England. Sir. Probably the military is all he knew and he possibly really didn't understand what was going on in the colonies. He wasn't exactly truthful about what he saw, but are all of you so perfect that you can stand in judgement of him? No one here has ever had a weak moment? Have you ever supported a superior or a friend in the face of strangers even if you weren't sure you were right?

Now think of this... wasn't Duncan standing in the background a good distance when Uncas, Hawkeye, and Chingachgook were discussing the fact that the mirrors and other goods were still there? Perhaps to Duncan's untrained eye, it DID look like nothing more than a war party. "I saw nothing" doesn't mean that he is calling the other men liars, he is just saying that from his point of view, it looked like just a war party. Perhaps he just didn't know what to think of the whole thing?
Give the guy a break. In the end he did a brave and noble thing. Those of you who judge Duncan ask yourselves if you would have been brave enough to do the same before you judge him too harshly.

And besides, he hasn't asked you to marry him anyway.
Steph <stepping down off the soapbox>

OOOO-EEEEEEEEEE!
No he didn't ask - thank GOD! Not my taste anyway.
His noble act in the end I think was commendable and utterly the act of someone who knows how to love - I'm not questioning his devotion to Cora...just asking if you would or would not marry him.
I also noticed that he didn't deny the war party after he and Col. Monroe were alone, "Things were done, no one was spared." and "Cora, once we're away from here and back in London, and wed, nothing that had to be said and done here will matter not of all."
So uh-hu, he didn't "an attack banked on theivry." out of mere misunderstanding.
As far as telling a lie to support a superior officer? I have to agree with LOG. I'd rather have a man who could stand on the truth and go to jail, at least then I know he died doing the right thing and I would do all possible (with the Col. being my pa') to justify and save him!
And in my moments of weakness, supporting a person close to my heart, weather or not if I knew it was the right thing, I have not turned away from the truth and if I turned out wrong, "I'm sorry, I didn't know," will be the most I could do, to be forgiven or not is up to the other party, but at least I have honesty.

To each his own, still it was an interesting view to see!

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - July 19 2006 :  1:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Ladies. Setting Duncan aside, I would like for you all to go to this site and take a look at a very talented, and very versatile actor. www.sherryweb.com/steven Then come back here and share your changed thoughts regarding Steven.

I dont think that anyone here is of the particular opinion that Steven is without talent or good merit. We are merely expressing our opinion of the role he played in the movie, and whether that character is in any way attractive to any of us. Im sure that hes a great guy and a fantastic actor, but Duncan the character wasnt that great a guy to me. Perhaps that is an indication of his good acting abilities.

Lady of Glencairn

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 19 2006 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One thing to be considered is that Duncan was in perfect agreement with Monro about keeping the Colonial Militia at the fort. He did not agree with Webb at Albany, and had no problem confronting a General he disagreed with. So at William Henry, he probably did agree with what Monro was doing, and far from lying to support his Colonel, he was lying to keep the Colonials there. Making the world England, as it were.

"Vive le Roi!"

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2006 :  1:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Glencairn

I dont think that anyone here is of the particular opinion that Steven is without talent or good merit. We are merely expressing our opinion of the role he played in the movie, and whether that character is in any way attractive to any of us.

Lady Glen, you are absolutely correct and I apologize for confusing the two issues. There have been women on the boards in the past who called Mr. Waddington unattractive names. I guess I had them in the back of my mind and became a bit overly defensive on his behalf. Sorry!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2006 :  2:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Light of the Moon,
You make some good points. However, admitting that things were done, no one was spared, does not mean that he clearly lied. I still think it's possible he didn't clearly understand the situation at the cabin since he didn't hear the Mohicans' conversation about it. Just a possibility.

Fitz I like your comments as well. "Making the world England" was part of everything this man was about. It was likely ingrained into his mind from a young age, especially if he was sent off to military school as a young boy. We don't know his background, but that's a likely scenario. You're right, he had no problem confronting Webb about something he disagreed with, so it's not like he has no sense of right or wrong. But to judge him by OUR standards of today is not fair... we don't know what it was like to be Duncan.
Fitz I still think there's more to his supporting Munro than just keeping the Colonials there, though. That's certainly part of it, but I think he has a true fondness and respect for Munro and he also wants Munro to look upon him favorably... he needed to score points as a possible future son-in-law so he perhaps supported Munro for that reason as well. You can see there is conflict within him when he answers, and perhaps his background and his hopes for the future colored his perception of what he saw at Cameron's cabin.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2006 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To WW... thanks for posting the link to the website anyway. I enjoyed it!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 19 2006 :  2:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We may have called Duncan unattractive names but not the actor Steve. We are talking about this particular role in LOTM which none of us found very endearing. I am sure that he is a very good actor and wish Steve well in real life. I am sure in real life he is nothing like the character of Duncan.

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - July 19 2006 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To be perfectly honest, there have been some negative remarks on the forum, regarding Duncan's physical features, which could be understood as criticising Steven's appearance.. Maybe even in my own posts.. Whatever I wrote, I had Duncan character in mind, not the actor himself, but I guess it can be a little controversial as to who we actually criticised..
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Favorite Characteristic Poll Topic Next Topic: Wheres Russell  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.62 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07