The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 9:21:36 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 lotm trivia game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD
Page: of 25

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 25 2006

Posted - October 08 2006 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The left ear.

How many times was Hawkeye hit by Hurons when he came to their village, before he could talk to the Sachem?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 10 2006 :  12:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well he was pushed over by one of them and then I cut his chest with a knife and the third hit him on the back of the head so I guess 3 times. Is that correct???

In the hope that it is here is my question. Does Magua wear anything in his ears and if so which ear or in both ears and describe it?

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - October 10 2006 :  1:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

and then I cut his chest with a knife

Irishgirl?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 10 2006 :  2:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
lol what I meant to say was one but I used the number 1 instead....silly me So you gonna answer the question now or what raindrops

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - October 10 2006 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ehmm.. Ok. Magua wore a dangling round-shaped earring in his left ear.. Right?

What was the Indian legend about the Sun, the Moon and the Earth that Hawkeye told Cora at the burial ground?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 10 2006 :  5:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At the birth of the sun and of his brother the moon, their mother died so the sun gave to the earth her body from which was to spring all life. And he drew forth from her breasts the stars. The stars he threw into the night sky to remind him of her soul (the sky).

What was the name of the surgeon at the Fort who should have sewn up Uncas's wound?

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 11 2006 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by raindrops

Ehmm.. Ok. Magua wore a dangling round-shaped earring in his left ear.. Right?

I thought it was a dangling red feather, wasn't it?
That's it...now I'm going to have to go watch it again! Boo-hoo, boo-hoo-hoo-hoo

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 11 2006 :  09:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nope raindrops is right Light it was a round shaped dangly ear-ring in his left ear. It kind of looked like a Dreamcatcher to me. The feather was in his hair. I also noted that Chingy wears a very similar one in his left ear too. Go check that one out. Don't think it is the exact same but pretty similar to Magua's.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 15 2006 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

What was the name of the surgeon at the Fort who should have sewn up Uncas's wound?
[/quote]

Anyone care to answer???

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 19 2006 :  11:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Was it Mr. Phelps?

If that's right, here's another (maybe not-so-challenging) question:
What is Montcalm doing the first time we see him in the French camp?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 19 2006 :  8:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Nope raindrops is right Light it was a round shaped dangly ear-ring in his left ear. It kind of looked like a Dreamcatcher to me. The feather was in his hair. I also noted that Chingy wears a very similar one in his left ear too. Go check that one out. Don't think it is the exact same but pretty similar to Magua's.

Yes, so I discovered upon watching it again and now I'll have to watch it one more time to check out Ching, uh...I mean his earing.

And the answer is: Listening to a chorus of spooky little girls while some weirdo dings a bell.

What was the name of the french man who read Webb's message at the surrender?
(Didn't you just love that accent?)

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 19 2006 :  10:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bougainville was his name and no Light I did not love his accent. Don't want to offend anyone french on the board but French men's accents do not "do it" for me. Sounds wimpy I think coming from a man. Just me so please do not jump all over me. Give me a Spanish accent or an Italian accent any day.

After the first Ambush when our trio saves the day they set off on foot and Heyward asks Hawkeye how far to the fort what is Hawkeye's answer?

IG

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2006 :  06:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it's "two days and a bit."

If I'm right, here's a question:
What is Col. Munro's first name? <insert Jeopardy music here>

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 20 2006 :  1:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
George? I know that was the real Col. Munro's name, but maybe it's different for the movie (?).

If that's right, here's another question. Sorry to return to the Montcalm-choir scene, but it's all I can come up with right now:

In what language is the choir of children in Montcalm's tent singing?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 22 2006 :  9:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love any accent but my favorite comes from the NA.

Weren't they singing in Latin?

If it was then....

Uncas was named after a real person among the Mohicans who had that same name, what was his status among the tribe?

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - October 24 2006 :  1:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In a word:

A Mohican chief-the son of Owenoco-was born in or near 1588. In 1626, he married the daughter of Sassacus, chief of the Pequots, and thus became a chief of the Pequot tribe. When a rebellion against Sassacus lead to his banishment, Uncas fled to the Narragansett tribe; but he subsequently made peace with the Pequots and returned. In 1637, he joined the English in a war against the Pequots, receiving a portion of captured Pequot land. This conduct earned him the enmity of the Pequots, Narragansetts, and other Indian tribes. In 1643, Uncas defeated the powerful Narragansett chief Miantonomo and executed him at the behest of the English colonists. In 1648 the Mohawks, Pocomtocks and other Indian tribes made war on Uncas but failed to defeat him. Besieged by the Narragansett chief Pessacus, he was saved by Ensign Thomas Leffingwell. In gratitude, it is said that Uncas gave the Englishman all the land on the site of present-day Norwich, Conn. During his life, he allied with the English in all the wars waged against the Indians, ending with King Philip's War in 1675. Uncas died in 1682 or 1683.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 26 2006 :  8:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Woo-Hoo!
Bring it on, Baby!!
You're the first person I have met that knows the history behind Uncas! You're quite the historian!

So what's your question, wes1761?

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - October 27 2006 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the compliment!!! Too much time on my hands and a great love of books and history......Does anyone know who the characters of Alice and Cora are based on from real life?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 29 2006 :  10:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm...

Me and Irishgirl?

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 30 2006 :  07:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think the character of Cora was based in part on Jane McCrea, but I'm not sure about Alice.

So I guess I only half answered the question...sorry!

Here's a lovely painting, though:

Image Insert:

19.79 KB

John Vanderlyn's "Death of Jane McCrea"

By the way, nice answer on the Uncas question. My knowledge of early American history is so scant that my answer would have been something like "an actual Indian chief named Uncas."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 30 2006 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I hate to break the flow of the thread but does anyone know why the Natives whacked Jane?
Wes1761? Any knowledge?

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - October 30 2006 :  10:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Painting is interesting, when comparing the rest of the story behind Janes death. The painting, I offer this:

"John Vanderlyn (1755-1852), "The Murder of Jane McCrea," 1804, Paris. (Oil on canvas; 32-1/2" x 26-1/2") Wadsworth Atheneum. First exhibited as Une jeune fille massacré par deux sauvages au service des Anglais dans la guerre d’Amérique. (Originally The Murder of Lucinda, illustrating a passage in the Sixth Book of Joel Barlow’s The Columbiad.)"

Info I have place her Death at July 26, 1777 at Fort Edward. She was an attractive young woman, visiting with friends or family at Fort Edward at the time of Burgoynes invasion. She was betrothed to a young man living near there, who was then in Burgoyne's army. When that army approached Fort Edward, some prowling Indians seized Miss McCrea, and attempted to carry her to the British camp at Sandy Hill, on horseback. A Company of Americans attempted rescue, and a volley was fired at the Indians, a stray round hit Jane, killing her she was subsequently scalped by her captors. The body of Miss McCrea was recovered by her friends, and was buried at Fort Edward. A tale of romance and horror, concerning the manner of her death, went abroad. In September, a letter from Gates to Burgoyne, holding him responsible for her death, gave great currency to the story; and hundreds of young men flocked to the American camp hoping to avenge the wrong done to Jane.

Hope this makes sense!!

Wes

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - October 30 2006 :  10:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With regsrds to the trivia question:

Cooper fictionalized the capture of Jemima Boone, and Frances and Elizabeth Calloway. The girls, teens at the time, were floating on the Kentucky River on a hot Sunday afternoon (07/14/1776) and were captured by a war party consisting of 2 Cherokee and 3 Shawnee. They were led by the Cherokee Hanging Maw.

Jemima married one of the rescuers, Flanders Calloway, soon after.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2006 :  3:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

Hmmm...
Me and Irishgirl?

Well I guess since you have the dark hair you would be Cora and me Alice. That's okay I get to "play" with you-know-who under the Falls and you don't ...heehee

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 02 2006 :  11:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OH! You got me!
Good one Irish.

Thanks Wes1761 for the info. I looked into it myself out of mere curiosity and found about 4 different stories, none of them even similar and everyone of them stated the word "savages".
The one story I thought was way out there had Miss. Crae and another woman in a house near the fort when a group of soldiers galloped by on horses. They waved at the house and the "savages" took that as a sign/warning of some sort and then burst into the house and took Miss Crae captive. The man stating something like what you'd hear in the 1940's westerns..."My squaw, me take 'ern en nevr giv bock! 'Ern mine. Ugh." No I did not add the Ugh, it was really in there!
The other one stated the Miss. Crae was walking in the woods when the "savages" hopped out the bushes and put a hatchet in Jane's head to provoke the anger of the fort.

Your's definately makes more sense!

Sorry to have taken us off topic, now where were we?

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.64 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07