The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 11:24:02 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 lotm trivia game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD
Page: of 25

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 02 2006 :  12:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay who's turn is it to ask a question??? Red Fraggle I think you are in the "hotseat" girl. Fire away.

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 03 2006 :  07:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uh oh...let's see. Here's a question that requires a closer look at the movie (at least for me it did):

What kind of tattoos does Hawkeye sport and where?

[insert Jeopardy music here]

By the way, Light--nice call on identifying the song in Montcalm's tent as Latin. I had to ask it b/c figured it was my only chance to squeeze in a question about the language I've been studying for the past 12 years! (Yes, I'm a huge nerd, in case anyone was wondering.)

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 04 2006 :  12:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're not a nerd!
Just a hint though, when you hear the word "Deus" (God) more often than not it is latin.[

I think the tatto question was asked before (not certain) and if I recall it was a firebird?
Where exactly I don't know.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 05 2006 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm...

I'll have to check on the tattoos. I was thinking about the ones on his arms. Guess I'll just have to go watch the movie again. *Sigh.*

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 05 2006 :  9:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

Hmmm...

I'll have to check on the tattoos. I was thinking about the ones on his arms. Guess I'll just have to go watch the movie again. *Sigh.*

Bummer! I'll watch it too.

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

May 29 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  07:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
*sigh* and what a hardship that will be ... !!

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 07 2006 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, so I guess I kinda killed this thread with my tattoo question. Maybe it's been asked before (?) and maybe I don't know the real answer after all (?), so here's another question. This one's easy, but no fair looking on IMDB!

What well known British character actor shows up in "LOTM" as Capt. Geoffrey Beams (and is barely visible in the original VHS release)?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2006 :  12:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pete Postlethwaite is the answer.

If Magua believed they had gone over the Falls the plan was to go down the mountain and walk to Fort Edward. Exactly how many miles was it to the Fort?? Easy question I know but for the life of me could not think of anything else. All been asked before. Sorry if this one has too.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  12:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Was it 5?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2006 :  12:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wrong answer Light. Wanna try again???

IG

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  3:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love this thread, guys! Have been gone from the board too long!! Sorry to say I can't remember the answer to Irishgirl's question - but had to clear something up. Webb said - "The French haven't the stomach for war. Their *Latinate* voluptuousness combines with their *Gallic* laziness, etc.." ;-) I'll just venture a total guess to the question now... 6 miles?

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2006 :  3:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry Redbird but wrong answer, not even close. Welcome back to the board.

IG

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - November 07 2006 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Sorry Redbird but wrong answer, not even close. Welcome back to the board.

Thanks for the welcome! And as for the question -DANG!!! Will have to watch the DVD again (any excuse)! ;-)

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 09 2006 :  8:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Was it 15 miles?

Probably not...I think I remember something about Ft. Edward's being a three-day march. Oh well...just a guess!

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - November 09 2006 :  11:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
oo oo oo I know I know... 12 miles!

(and the tatoo question was asked before - by me - it's thunderbirds (on his chest) - no idea about the ones on his arms, although they're very fetching.

hmmmm, now for a question..... what game to Hawkeye and Uncas join in at the gathering at Cameron's cabin, and what are it's origins?

Here's a picture to help (or distract)...

Image Insert:

21.62 KB

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - November 10 2006 :  09:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They played a happy game of LaCrosse...dehuntshigwa'es, in Onandaga (men hitting a round ball), Cherokee: da-nah-wah'uwsdi (Little War), Mohawk: Tewaarathon (wars little brother)called Lacrosse by the French because of the stick used was a "Crosse" a general term used by them to describe a bat used in any ball game.

What kind of club does Ching carry??

Sorry, running low on questions....

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - November 11 2006 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...a BADASS one!

Ok, sorry. Here's my real answer: I think I read somewhere that the club Ching carries is an enlarged version of a type of club used by the NA's to crack nuts. The historical version of the club didn't have a blade on it, but was used for pounding. Ching's has a blade added and is much bigger for dramatic effect.

Sorry I don't know the official term for this type of weapon, but I'm sure Wes1761 does! I'm always amazed at the details in your answers, Wes.

(And I hope I didn't just totally make all that stuff about Ching's club up. Like I said, I think I read it somewhere before!)

I'll check back later to see if I'm anywhere close to right before I venture to add another question.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - November 11 2006 :  08:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is sometimes referred to as the "big blue hockey stick".

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think the club question is a good one, because that's something I'd been confused about. I'd heard all sorts of things about it too, including the "big blue hockey stick" reference. ;-) However, I know that many tribes did use war clubs - not sure if it was more widespread among the plains tribes, and therefore, documented better or not? I think Russell said that MM & co. just took the concept of the nutcracker thing and invented the larger version; but I'm pretty sure that war clubs *were* a reality... just not sure it it's historically accurate that Ching would have used one (especially one designed like that one). It reminded me of the Klingon "batliff" (sp?)! :-) Sorry for answering a question with another question - just thought someone here might be able to clear it up? :-o

Oh, and many thanks to Paazau for the distracting... er, "helpful" picture! One of *my* personal favorite scenes... >:-)

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - November 11 2006 :  1:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's one of my favorite scenes too, except that Uncas is anorexically skinny, isn't he??

Uncas: "some food"

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  1:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MeggieD

That's one of my favorite scenes too, except that Uncas is anorexically skinny, isn't he??

Lol! Well, I never thought of it that way before, Meggie... but now that you mention it?! Yeah, I guess he could have "bulked up" a little bit. :-D <vbg>

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  3:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll be happy to help him "work out"!!!!!

So what's the answer anyway?
WES! WHERE ARE YOU WHEN WE NEED YOU THE MOST????

wes1761
Pathfinder

Me in Ranger Green
USA

April 06 2006

Posted - November 11 2006 :  3:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wes1761's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, had to go back to work after 3 off. Ching carries a "gun-stock" war club. Called thus becaues of the resemblance to a Gunstock. I like big blue hockey stick though!!!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wes1761

Sorry, had to go back to work after 3 off. Ching carries a "gun-stock" war club. Called thus becaues of the resemblance to a Gunstock. I like big blue hockey stick though!!!

We can always count on you Wes. 1 - 2 - 3 -
So you ask the next question...

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - November 11 2006 :  3:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wes1761

:-D Me too! Thanks Wes! So do you know if this "gunstock" type war club was something that could have actually been in use at the time, in the Eastern Woodlands - even if it didn't quite look like the one in LOTM? And you do get the next question... sorry to interrupt! :-0
Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Performances of Daniel Day-Lewis Topic Next Topic: Gathering Fever and LOTM in HD  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.47 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07