The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 2:32:19 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 The Battle of Grant's Hill
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: New  F&I Documentary Premiere Topic Next Topic: Braddocks Defeat Historical Sites
Page: of 2

Big Duncan MacLaren
Pathfinder

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 26 2002

Posted - February 16 2003 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Esteemed Liste:

Snow is falling heavily upon the hillsides of central Virginia. (Dosen't look much like Dixie today!)And enforced idleness has driven me to the keyboard.

Q: is there anything done up 'round Ft. Pitt to commemorate Grant's Defeat with some sort of reenactment or tactical demonstration?

It would seem to me that the potential exists for a memorable event -- and I suspect that everyone who trots out to the annual Bushy Run bash would participate enthusiastically.

Your Servant,
D. Maclaren, Pvt.
Grenadier Coy., 77th Foot
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 17 2003 :  6:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nothing is done to remember this event.The State employees at the Fort Pitt Museum simply do not care(gotta get me one of those State jobs one day,but being that I have an interest in history,I'll probably be disqualified).The current Site Administrator(aka the "Virginian")hates guns or anything military,so go figure.

I believe that this event should beremembered.If you know of anyone who is interested,let me know.

Highlander

Big Duncan MacLaren
Pathfinder

November 26 2002

Posted - February 18 2003 :  11:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Esteemed "Highlander":

I agree (obviously) that more could and should be done to restore to public consciousness the Battle of Grant's Hill.

I don't believe that I have ever had the pleasure... I took the liberty of looking over your unit's website ("Blockhouse Muskets"-- I like that!) but did not see a schedule of events for 2003. You can see my unit's schedule by tracking down "Muskets of the Crown" via any good search engine.

I am sure that our paths will cross. (Bushy Run, at the very least...?!) And when our paths do cross, I would be honored if you would share a drop of the water o' life with this fellow Scot. Let us conspire together to see what we might do.

If not us, then who?

I have the honor to be, and etc.,
Big Duncan MacLaren
Pvt., "Muskets of the Crown"
Grenadiers Coy., 77th Foot (F&I); 42nd RHR (RevWar)

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 25 2003 :  03:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That sounds good,a wee bit o' tipple.I shall see you at Bushy Run.But be advised,"The Virginian"will be collecting ramrods

Highlander

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 25 2003 :  08:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

But be advised,"The Virginian" will be collecting ramrods

OK. I just have to ask. What does that mean? I have heard that sometimes reenactors (and probably real soldiers way back then) inadvertantly leave the ramrod in the barrel of the musket, thus turning it into a spear-like projectile when the musket is fired. Is that what you meant? Does he really, literally collect them??

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 26 2003 :  05:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This refers to a bone-headed beauracrat who seeks to throw his weight around because another beauracrat permitted an inexperienced person o accidently shoot a musket with a ramrod in it causing an injury.All reenactors must be penalized you see,even though none were involved in said accident.It is stupid rules like these at Pennsylvania sites that will cause mature adults who are reenactors to boycott.Yes,the "Virginian"said that he will try to collect ramrods this year

Highlander

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2003 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is unfortunate that one isolated, accidental incident can cause a "blanket" rule change effecting everyone, isn't it? On the other hand... if someone was injured, I can see how authorities would want to protect others from the something that would probably happen again, at some point in time. There is, of course, the liability issue to consider. No one wants a lawsuit coming down on their heads, especially a public, historic place that is fighting to get money to stay open as it is.

I'm not taking sides here... just putting forth thoughts. It is too bad. Thanks for answering my question. Good luck!

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 26 2003 :  10:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes,but when you consider that it was the so-called "authorities" who caused the unfortunate accident,I think that the reenctors/public need to be protected from them,not the other way around.Pennsylvania is not New York,where the state actually preserves their historic sites because they realize that this is a vital source of tourist dollars and have reenactors(or "living historians") on staff.The Commonwealth of Pa.through their "Historic & Museum Commission"employs the biggest group of morons & miscreants that it has ever been my sorry misforune to meet.Definitely a sordid cast of characters.It is a low budget operation if I ever saw one,but hey,you get what you get.

Highlander

Big Duncan MacLaren
Pathfinder

November 26 2002

Posted - February 27 2003 :  12:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Esteemed Sir:

If you think the PA park authorities are bad, try dealing with the MD park authorities who have just about driven Ft. Frederick off the reenactor's radar. Ask anyone connected with the several companies of "Maryland Forces," or anyone who went to last year's Market Faire.

And then there is the NPS -- which long ago stopped employing anyone with any historical knowledge or sensibility. Today's NPS "Rangers" are nothing but janitors with fancy hats.

Your Servant,
Jeffrey Edmunds
(Former NPS Seasonal Historian, Fredericksburg & Spotsylania NMP)

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 28 2003 :  12:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know these words you speak of brother,I attended the Market Faire last year for the first time. while I was with the 77th.If it makes you feel any better,"The Virginian"is with the NPS but was run out of Ft.Necessity and was dumped on Ft.Pitt/Bushy Run as part of an NPS/P.H.M.C exchange program.He doesn't know too much about history(for example,he didn't know that "The Battle of Grant's Hill" took place at the point)but he can tell you anything you want to know about high school football scores

Highlander

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 16 2003 :  11:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've just learned that when "George Washington's First War:The Battles for Fort Duquesne"premieres on May 21,2003,it will be the first time that this battle will appear on film.www.paladincom.com

60thGrenadier
Pathfinder

King 2
USA

April 30 2003

Posted - May 18 2003 :  01:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit 60thGrenadier's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt.Reynolds

I've just learned that when "George Washington's First War:The Battles for Fort Duquesne"premieres on May 21,2003,it will be the first time that this battle will appear on film.www.paladincom.com

Don't forget us Sarge,we took some hits there too such as John Billings & Mr.Rohr

God Save The King

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 19 2003 :  12:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to see that I'm not late here.I think that Major Grant would not have gotten his drubbing if he would have had some rangers with him like General Braddock did and Col.Henry Bouquet at Bushy Run.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 20 2003 :  04:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 60thGrenadier

quote:
Originally posted by Sgt.Reynolds

Don't forget us Sarge,we took some hits there too such as John Billings & Mr.Rohr

Aye' but it was the highlanders & Virginians who took the Lion's share of casualties that day

God Save The King

Highlander
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: New  F&I Documentary Premiere Topic Next Topic: Braddocks Defeat Historical Sites  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07