The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 11:33:32 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Favorite Eric Schweig Movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Natives in the background Topic Next Topic: Wallpaper
Page: of 5

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 25 2006

Posted - May 18 2006 :  5:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, that was me.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 18 2006 :  10:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Lurking Huron2534

Me too, Irishgirl, but only in his Uncas's gear.

What?? In his Uncas gear, out of his Uncas gear He could wear whatever he wants. Come to think of it his birthday suit would do just nicely

IG

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - May 22 2006 :  01:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OMG

I just finished watching Follow the River and Big Eden!!!!!

I am sooooooo in lust all over again!

His smile in Follow the River! Why didn't we see more of that in LOTM???

I am so glad that I'm 'gay', I just love men, want to come home with me Pike?

Honestly, that has got to be one of the sweetest, funniest, cutest love stories I have ever seen. Yep, watching that gorgeous hunk of a man kissing another guy was pretty hard but I still love him anyway.

If I had been in colonial America and a war chief like him grabbed me..................... I would NOT have gone climbing mountains to get away!

Paazau you are so bad, you've completely kicked my obsession into overdrive now!

Love Ya Lots.

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - May 22 2006 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well LeyLana I'm glad you liked them.....I loved Pike's hair, didn't you????

Uncas: "some food"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 22 2006 :  09:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great to hear you liked Big Eden. I too cringed at the "kiss", but what a kiss it was. He looks great in this movie doesn't he especially the shoulder length hair and his shyness is so endearing. What a lovable character Pike is and no wonder Eric is proud of this role.

As for Follow The River, what can I say, we all fell in love with "Wildcat" too. That silly Mary and the stupid decision she made in the end. She was lucky that it all turned out the way it did at the conclusion.

Have you seen The Broken Chain yet Leylana? He is DDG in this too and you will love him.

IG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 22 2006 :  12:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl
As for Follow The River, what can I say, we all fell in love with "Wildcat" too. That silly Mary and the stupid decision she made in the end. She was lucky that it all turned out the way it did at the conclusion.

I am really sorry to be the one to burst your bubble, but the truth of the real story is that Mary Draper Ingles never saw her youngest son or her baby daughter again. She did not fall in love with her captor and she thought of nothing but getting home to her husband. Her eldest son was ransomed 13 years after his capture, but did not return to white society well.

The focus of this amazing story should really be the fact that Mary and her friend "the old Dutch woman" walked some 800 miles through the wilderness of the Ohio country and made it home alive (if just barely). This is just almost unbelievable. Mary and her husband had 4 more children after her return.

If you would like to know more about this remarkable, brave woman, read the book of the same name, from which the movie was taken (and ruined!), written by James Alexander Thom.

quote:
Have you seen The Broken Chain yet Leylana? He is DDG in this too and you will love him.

This movie is quite good, and is definitely worth watching. Pretty accurate, too.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 22 2006 :  12:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi WW and yes I know this is not what happened in the real story. We are merely talking about what happened in the movie which was loosely based on this story. I am sure the "Wildcat" in reality (if that was his name) was nothing like our Eric portrayed him. He was probably cruel and not in any way kind to Mary as she was his captor. None of us would want the torture she probably had to endure. The movie version was a much kinder story and you know how much we all love Unca/Eric on here. Just letting our fantasies run rampant.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey WW since you know so much about the true story, I wanted to ask you, did the real Mary take off and leave her children with the Indians like she did in the movie? I would never leave my kids for anything even my husband. My kids come first and I think she did a terrible thing by leaving them like she did in the movie. In the movie she could not take them with her so had I been her, even if I did not want Wildcat, I would have stayed with my children. I find it hard to believe that her husband would have wanted her back anyway especially since she abandoned, her kids.

IG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 22 2006 :  5:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mary's two boys had been taken away from her and given to other tribes. She had no idea where they were or if they were even still alive. She had no reason to believe that her baby would not be taken away from her as well. She was also terrified that she would be killed, and the need to escape became all important to her. The will to survive can be very powerful. She knew she would not be able to produce milk for the baby on the journey and the baby would most certainly die. She felt that if she left the baby there, an Indian woman would adopt her and she would have a chance at life.

Was it difficult for Mary to do? I would imagine it was. I look upon her act as a Mother's sacrifice for her child. She gave that child the possibly of life vs. a certain death.

Life on the frontier was extremely difficult. Mothers lost children to disease and yes, to capture. It was part of life. Who can say what they would or would not have done in Mary's situation? I consider her to be an incredibly strong and brave woman.

You can read her story here: Mary Draper Ingles This version is probably about as accurate as any.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - May 22 2006 :  7:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi WW

Thank you for all that information.

I have only just seen the movie and my comments were directly aimed at Eric's character.

I'm now very fascinated in the fact that this story is based on fact.
What an amazing woman!

I can understand what Irishgirl is saying about not being able to give up your children, but, they were far different times.

Do you know if Little House on the Prarie stories could have been loosely based on her as well.

Now I'm off to look at that link for Mary's story, thanks for that WW.

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - May 22 2006 :  7:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! What an eye opener WW.

Thank you for that link.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 22 2006 :  10:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LeyLana1462

Do you know if Little House on the Prarie stories could have been loosely based on her as well.

No they were not. The Little House books were written by Laura Ingalls Wilder about her own childhood over 100 years later than when Mary Draper Ingles lived. You can read about her here.

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 22 2006 :  11:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's great Leylana! I'm glad you are enjoying Eric's movies too. Yea, I'm bad.. bad to the bone...

Thanks heaps for those links Wilderness Woman. I enjoy reading the non-fictional version of 18th century happenings.
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman
If you would like to know more about this remarkable, brave woman, read the book of the same name, from which the movie was taken (and ruined!), written by James Alexander Thom.

What I wouldn't give to read it!!! I've been looking for his books over here for months now, to no avail. Not new, second hand, nothing... not even in the library. Might have to resort to buying them off US ebay and paying overseas postage. Either that or send my family a Wish List in preparation for Christmas.

quote:
Her eldest son was ransomed 13 years after his capture, but did not return to white society well.

I thought the cover of Follow the River said the children came back 10 years later. I was confused when they returned so soon in the movie...

It is truly a remarkable story, and she was truly a remarkable woman. Who's to say how any of us would act in her circumstances. You can never tell until you're in those shoes....

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 23 2006 :  09:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well that was some story. The real "Mary" certainly endured a lot. Once again, I will point out that I was merely commenting on the actions of the "Mary" in the movie. Although, having said that, I do feel that had the real "Mary" stayed with her baby daughter and the Indians, she too would have eventually been found by her husband and the Indians paid a ransom to release her as was the case with Betty Draper. Her baby daughter may have been killed because of Mary's actions in escaping. It is strange that they never found out what happened to her. Very sad about Mary's son's especially the one who died but at least Thomas survived and apparently was happy with the Indians. As for Mary herself, it is a wonder that she did not die on this long trek home. It was truly a miracle.

IG

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 23 2006 :  11:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

This was a Hallmark movie which was more about love and courage than anything else. It was not ruined in my opinion and was only loosely based on the story. Perhaps someday someone will make a movie which gives an accurate account of what took place back then but there are those of us out here who enjoy Eric's movies and can enjoy them for what they are which is mostly fiction.

IG

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was flipping through the satellite and there was a movie called, "Cowboys and Indians" done in 2003. I had never heard of it but to my suprise it starred Eric and Adam Beach. Has anyone else seen it? I believe it was based on a true story?

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes Caitlin, I have indeed seen "Cowboys and Indians". It is the true story of the killing of JJ Harper by a Police Officer. Eric plays Harry Wood in this one, JJ's brother, who refuses to let the police simply get away with the "murder" of his brother. Like Harry says "this time they picked the wrong Indian". Luckily I taped this movie when it was on one of the Encore channels earlier this year as you cannot seem to purchase it anywhere and I have looked. I guess the movie is not out on DVD yet. It is good and definitely worth the watch. Eric, I should point out is somewhat heavy in this one but still looks great to me. Adam is only in this one briefly but looks good too.

IG

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 30 2006 :  8:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Eric, I should point out is somewhat heavy in this one but still looks great to me. Adam is only in this one briefly but looks good too.

Yup, I noted that both he and Adam looked a bit heavy. It actually was a good movie. Depressing, but noteworthy.

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 31 2006 :  11:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi guys and gals,

Sorry to have been scarce lately. Work is extremely hectic at the moment. Sounds like y'all have been havin' fun and exploring all sorts of new topics. I've been tryin' to keep up with it all.

Well, I've finally watched Broken Chain, and what a wonderful movie!! It was very interesting to learn some new 'historical facts' (i use that term loosely - it is a movie after all - but it's provided some fodder for future reading plans) about the Iroquois, and Eric's character was awesome. It's a shame he hasn't had a bigger role in more movies. His screen presence and voice are unbelievable. I could listen to and watch him all day....

I'd have to say this is definitely one of my favorites as far as ES movies go.

Wow Irishgirl! Are there any ES movies you haven't seen???!!!

Tata for now!

Shaz

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - June 01 2006 :  02:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Doesn't he just have the SEXIEST voice Paazau.

It's soooooooo smooooooth.

I got your mail the other day too but haven't been doing a great deal online so haven't had a chance to say THANK YOU, sorry bout that. You really are a Gem didya know that.......tee hee

See our little StudMuffin is 39 in a few weeks........ wooohooooo..... I'll have to have a drink for him

I read up a bit on the Cowboys and Indians story. Pretty sad hey.

That's where it is good to have actors like Eric and Wes out there. It gets a message out that may otherwise not be heard or may just get some people irritated rather than thinking, hey.

I just want to see him in more, especially more without shirts and with hair......YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY.....

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 01 2006 :  12:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by paazau
Well, I've finally watched Broken Chain, and what a wonderful movie!! It was very interesting to learn some new 'historical facts' (i use that term loosely - it is a movie after all - but it's provided some fodder for future reading plans) about the Iroquois...

Hi Paazau,

It's been several years since I watched Broken Chain, but I like it, for the most part. If I recall correctly, it has been praised by the nations of the former Iroquois Confederacy for its accuracy in Native portrayal.

I seem to remember, however, having a bit of a disbelief moment during a highly overly-dramatic scene of Molly Brant... wasn't she sitting and sort of staring in shock in the burned ruins of the house or something like that? I doubt that she would have even been there at the time.

And the other thing I remember having a problem with (OK, Fitz. Here it comes! I'm going to nit-pick!) was the scene near the end of the movie that supposedly depicted the Battle of Oriskany, which is the battle that broke the Confederacy (because the Oneida became the first allies of the new American nation). The soldiers fighting on the American side were shown wearing Continental Army uniforms (or the movie version of such). In actuality, the participants who fought against Brant and his warriors and the British and Tories were Mohawk Valley farmers who were the Tryon County Militia. As Militia, they had no uniforms. They would have been wearing their regular civilian farming clothing or hunting shirts. That sort of irritated me because those were my ancestors being portrayed. (See Fitz? I do care about historic detail!)

All in all, though, quite a good movie. I think I must watch it again.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 01 2006 :  9:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW, you do care after all!!! Wasn't Oriskany portrayed in Drums Along The Mohawk, with Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert? They were all dressed like militia in that one. And, bye the way, when it comes to the whole Monongahela thing, you need to look at it from a French perspective.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 02 2006 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye Fitz. That it was! And it's one of my favorites from that old Hollywood era, in spite of its many errors. For example, the long run that Gil (Henry Fonda's character) was actually done by Adam Helmer (Ward Bond's character). I've talked about Adam Helmer's famous run before on these boards. However, they did get the part about the Militia's clothing right! And the scene where a wounded and shocked Gil recounts the battle to Lana is great!

Hmmmmm.... not too sure I can look at things from a Fran-say perspective. I think it's against my religion! And I still won't be slipping into any Fran-say camps, so don't even bring it up!!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 02 2006 :  08:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
And I still won't be slipping into any Fran-say camps

That's what they all say!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 02 2006 :  4:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But some of us mean it when we say it.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Natives in the background Topic Next Topic: Wallpaper  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.56 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07