The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 6:44:32 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 The Four Feathers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Twelve Monkeys Topic Next Topic: Best/most romantic movie love scenes  

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 23 2002

Posted - September 11 2002 :  02:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on a novel by A.E.W.Mason,it has been adapted to film five times from 1939 to 1977.Starring Heath Ledger(The Patriot,A Knight's Tale)is about four friends who are officers in the British Army in the Sudan.When Ledger resigns before The Battle of Omdurman,his friends believe him to be a coward,but he has ulterior motives.This should leave a mark with reenactors,much as Zulu & Zulu Dawn did. Check out the website at:www.fourfeathersmovie.com.com Release date is 09/20/02 EM<):)

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.
report to moderator

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - September 11 2002 :  06:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, 'tis a remake of a 1940s (maybe late 30s??) film, but I can't remember who was in it. I have seen it several times on late night TV. I expect the new version will be acceptable!! Pax Aye! Many Flags of the Allemaengel

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - September 11 2002 :  4:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I love both the '39 and '77 versions of this story, but I have real bad feelings about this one. There's a very critical review of it by "Lostinplace" at Dark Horizons: www.darkhorizons.com/2002/TheFourFeathers

And with his references to KHARTOUM and the other versions of THE FOUR FEATHERS, I think he knows whereof he speaks. I began to worry when I saw the stills showing the British in red uniforms, rather than the khaki that was used in the Sudan campaigns. The director said he did that so that the audience would realize the British didn't belong there. It sounds only one step away from THE PATRIOT and "we have to put the British in red coats or the audience won't know they're British."

Then, according to the review, the movie is set, not during Kitchener's Omdurman campaign, not during Wolsey's attempt to relieve Khartoum, but rather immediately following Gordon's death - in other words, at a time when the British were leaving the Sudan, not campaigning in it.

So we have the British army misportrayed (again) doing something they never did (again) so that they can be made to look bad (again). For the record, I'm an Irish Catholic, and I definitely have mixed feelings about the British and the Empire, but if you're gonna knock them, do it for the real historical record, not for trumped-up, straw man reasons.

I'll still be there opening night, and I hope I'm wrong, but my expectations are not too high for this one.

Two Kettles

p.s. You know why the sun never sets on the British Empire? Because God doesn't trust them in the dark. (See, I'm not a total Anglophile)

p.p.s. For what it's worth, Many Flags, in the '39 version John Clements played Harry Faversham (Heath Ledger's character), Ralph Richardson was John Durrance (Wes Bentley), June Duprez was Ethne (Kate Hudson) and C. Aubrey Smith stole every scene he was in as General Burroughs.

Christie
Pioneer

Sylvester
USA

July 02 2002

Posted - September 11 2002 :  11:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The movie preview has a voiceover of Heath claiming "I will find him!" Next time anyone sees the preview, listen for it. Even ten years later filmakers are "borrowing" from LOTM

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 12 2002 :  06:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I heard that, Christie ... sounded like it was lifted directly out of LOTM! I don't think it was coincidence ...

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 12 2002 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Same EXACT thoughts here, Rich and Christie!

Di

Karen W
Colonial Settler

Hair Feathers
USA

June 04 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 12 2002 :  2:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who caught this. I commented about it to Jim and he looked at me like I was nuts. Oh well, he
just doesn't understand!!
Karen

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 12 2002 :  4:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Two Kettles.In recent days,my research has confrmed that the British Army did not wear red outside of Europe during this time period.Apparently,the director did nobody a favor by ignoring this glaring detail.Compare this with Breaker Morant,where everybody wore khaki,and you will see the difference.Hopefully the movie will still be o.k.EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 12 2002 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

The movie preview has a voiceover of Heath claiming "I will find him!" Next time anyone sees the preview, listen for it. Even ten years later filmakers are "borrowing" from LOTM

Omigod!! I just heard this and I kept waiting for him to finish..."No matter how long it takes, no matter how far!" Sounded exactly like Hawkeye in LOTM.

Theresa

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 25 2002 :  03:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
just saw this movie tonite.Not bad,but it's definitely no LOTM EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 25 2002 :  11:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa:
quote:

Omigod!! I just heard this and I kept waiting for him to finish..."No matter how long it takes, no matter how far!" Sounded exactly like Hawkeye in LOTM.
Theresa

HA! I knew I wasn't going crazy. I thought I heard it and had to watch again for the same preview to be sure. What a compliment, but definitly no comparison. I look forward to seeing the movie anyway - if just for the clothing!
caitlin

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - September 27 2002 :  7:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, if anyone has seen the movie and liked it, or is interested at all in the story, I would highly recommend picking up the recent paperback reprint of A.E.W. Mason's original 1902 novel. It is very different from any of the movie versions I've seen, and a good read. What strkes me most about it (I'm still reading it) is how well developed the characters are, especially Harry, Ethne, and Jack. It's NOT a rah-rah Queen and Country, "ripping yarn". It's more psychological, and character driven.

I'm also surprised that some of my favorite moments from the movie versions aren't in it. On the other hand, there are some wonderful things in the book that haven't made it into any of the movie versions I've seen. And Mason comes up with a much more convincing explanation of how Harry is able to "blend in" when he gets to the Sudan.

Two Kettles

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 27 2002 :  8:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Isn't the "I'll find you" thing from a fifties song?

It's trying to percolate up through long dormant grey matter, but...

Oceans wide, mountains high...?

~~Aim small, miss small.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 08 2002 :  11:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Lt. McKinnon and Two Kettles on the khaki uniform issue. Being a student of British Military history, I would also like to note that the last time a British Regiment carried the Queen's Colors (the Grand Union with the wreath and regimental number within) into battle was at Majuba Hill in 1881 (an embarassing engagement during the First Boer War).

Your Humble Author,
Sgt. Duncan Munro

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 05 2002 :  12:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Overall, its an interesting movie, I could do without the whole 'honorable coward' thing. When you leave your buddies, at a time like that, and turn your back on your duty, you're a coward. The battle scene, where the square collapses, might make it worth buying the VHS/DVD when it comes out.

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 10 2003 :  04:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Finally saw this flick last night on DVD ...

Cannot comment on the historical accuracy, if any, because I'm none too familiar with this time & place, however, as a film:

Heath Ledger - Excellent performance, I thought. [Sports 3 or 4 distinctly different looks in this movie - from the handsome cavalier to something bordering on the grotesque!]

The Story - Acceptable to me as an enjoyable film. Not very powerful or moving, though I think it tries to be, but good. I liked it. It's really more a love story than an action flick, though there's plenty of action!

Best Scene - The British square on the open desert & the battle that follows. Holy cow! Gotta agree with the departed Sarge on this one. Battle sequence fans will want this DVD just for this sequence.

Best Line - "I will find you!" Hmmm ... where did I hear that before?

Nicely done, but no classic! 3 and a half thumbs up.
  Previous Topic: Twelve Monkeys Topic Next Topic: Best/most romantic movie love scenes  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07