The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 9:14:55 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 What "la longe carabine" is?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: How accurate? Topic Next Topic: Who is Le Subtil?
Page: of 2

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 18 2004

Posted - July 11 2007 :  7:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am in no hurry for November! I love sunlight and lots of it!
I used to deer hunt too. My first kill was a 10 point buck. It's rack had a nice spread but unfortunately the guy that took me hunting had been trying to kill that deer for six years and never succeeded. He takes me out on my first trip and it ends up mine.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Little Lady of Fire
Colonial Militia

Hawkeye 3
USA

March 31 2007

Posted - July 11 2007 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lol nice. Well first one I actually saw all of was a half rack 6 point. To bad it was 75yds out and I am somewhat nearsided even with my glasses. If I would have lowered my gun and inch I would have got the back bone in half. Oh I can only dream.

My dad got a 6 point I think the day before I saw my first ever and it was literally in the exact same spot.

There are easier things in life then trying to find a good guy..... Nailing jelly to a tree for example.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 17 2007 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How funny!

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  2:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I realize this is a somewhat outdated topic, BUT...

"Carabine" refers to the CALIBER of the weapon, NOT its length! I collect French arms of a slightly later period ( Napoleonic ), and have 2 short cavalry weapons. Both were standard types used at the time, and NEITHER are carbines! One is only 42" long; the other 44". They are MUSKETOONS ( which means a "little musket" ) because they fire the same .69 caliber ball as the muskets AND the pistols. The French were among the first to standardize the size of their ammunition, so that all military arms could fire the same ammunition, only varying the powder charge. ( And NONE of them were rifled! )

A French "carabine" of the period would have been a rifled civillian hunting arm, not a military one. Muskets of the period tended to be long; European hunting rifles, designed for use by the nobility in hunting "parks" usually were shorter. The rifles of the American frontier, however, were for putting meat on the table, not amusement; so the German gunsmiths in Penn. made them long enough to ensure accuracy.

Our confusion results from the time of our Civil War when short cavalry arms WERE also of smaller calibre ( usually .54 ) than the newfangled .59 "rifled-muskets" or the old-fashioned .69 muskets, which were still in use; though often known to the troops who used them as "punkin' slingers" due to the size of the ball!

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  6:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

quote:
Originally posted by Stryker16

What I always found interesting is, Carbine or Carabine, means A light, "short" rifle.

Actually short has nothing to do with the name carbine, what it refers to is that the weapon shoots a pistol sized round of ammuntion. The 18th cent carbine could have a 42 inch barrel as long as it fired a 69 cal ball (at that time more of a pistol ball).

isnt that a 'sub machine gun'?

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 26 2007 :  6:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
.69 cal?? ... Not really a rifle, more of a shoulder mounted light cannon. ;)

you can keep "The Change"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  8:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Rifling" for practical purposes has NOTHING to do with the size of the projectile! There was a ( failed ) attempt to make .69 RIFLES at the start of the Civil War, by simply RIFLING the smoothbore barrels of muskets; I'm looking right now at a .69 "minnie ball" in my relic cabinet. For various reasons that was found unsatisfactory, and the caliber standardized at .58. ( I mistakenly said .59 in an earlier post. ) Enfields were .577 - close enough to use the same ammunition. The earlier "Mississippi" rifles of the Mexican War, .54 were still in use, but required their own ammunition.

So rifles USUALLY are smaller caliber weapons - but not necessarily:

The same attempt was made with CANNON, also unsatisfactory; and their projectiles were generally 10 pounds, up to 200 pounds! Rifled cannon had long been a dream of artillerymen; but it wasn't until the 1850's that improvements in metallurgy made it possible. The rifled cannon of the Civil War were made with the rifling done as part of the manufacturing process, and were therefore NEWLY made pieces. Of course, by WWI virtually ALL artillery was rifled. Please note that ALL artillery pieces ( cannon and mortars ) seen in the movie would have been smoothbore muzzleloaders.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 26 2007 :  9:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you can easily fire it from your person, - it may well be "considered a small caliber". There are different version of small caliber however. I was kidding about a .69 shoulder mounted weapon being small, - it isn't. Especially compared to say a .22 - it is a large caliber, things being relative. Ten pound, or larger cannon balls are a totally different matter. On a regular basis I shoot anything from a .22 rifle (100 yards+) to a 300 Winchester magnum - there's no confusing the two.

you can keep "The Change"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 26 2007 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most military handguns of the 18th Cent were of appox. .69 cal smoothbore construction. They were mainly used by cavalry and were intended to be used on the horse as much as for the rider. Loaded with either round ball or shot they would be carried in pairs, with shot they would be like a lightly charged sawed off 16 ga. shotgun. With regular (especially British) military muskets chambered for .75 to .80 cal ball the .69 was considered a pistol ball. I have read that carbine meant that it shot a pistol sized ball and not that it was necessarily because of a shorter barrel. Many dragoon carbines had barrel lengths of 42 inches which was the standard length of the Brown Bess barrel during the American Revolution.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Steve S
Pathfinder

February 05 2005

Posted - October 28 2007 :  10:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To back up the above....British cavalry were issued cartridges to use in pistol or carbine....But with the carbine powder charge!...meant you had to remember to tip some out before using for the pistol....
Steve

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

July 17 2007

Posted - October 28 2007 :  7:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OHHH its been soooo long since i've posted, well, it means long rifle in french... yep. posting feels SOO good!!

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 29 2007 :  09:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome back Dustbunnie we missed you.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 29 2007 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Dustbunnies where have you been? We've missed you!

So glad you're back!

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - October 29 2007 :  1:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Last of the Dustbunnies has returned!!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2007 :  01:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
From the previous posts, it is clear to me that there is a great deal to discuss regarding this subject.

I don't think anyone doubts that la longe carabinee could deliver a ball to the target with great effect!

We become what we think about.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: How accurate? Topic Next Topic: Who is Le Subtil?  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07