The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/1/2024 2:21:35 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Local Legends
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Battle of Oriskany Anniversary. Topic Next Topic: Bushy Run Battlefield  

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2005 :  09:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another thread, I was talking about the Jersey Devil, and it got me thinking that many of us probably have local places with legends of ghosts or creatures...your local Bigfoot, so to speak, (even though Bigfoot was, surprise, surprise, a hoax!).

Maybe it's where you live now, or where you grew up, or someplace you visited...what are your local legends?
report to moderator

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2005 :  10:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And I'll start, with a little more about the Jersey Devil.

The legend is that in 1735, Mother Leeds, a south Jersey Pine Barrens-area woman, gave birth to her 13th child, and cursed it, and it became a devil, sprouting horns and wings, and terrorizing people over the years. To this day, people still believe that they have seen evidence of the Jersey Devil.

Here is a link, if you're interested:

http://www.weirdnj.com/_unexplained/jerseydevil.html

Image Insert:

21.57 KB

And here is the famous Blue Hole, located in the Pine Barrens / Pinelands. It is said to be bottomless, always freezing cold, and you will drown if you swim in it. Some think the Jersey Devil lives here.

http://www.weirdnj.com/_unexplained/legendsofthebluehole.html

Image Insert:

41.59 KB

So, is the Jersey Devil real, or just the name of the NJ hockey team? You decide!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2005 :  4:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, this isn't actually a legend, but more of an experience. Cindy,(my stepdaughter, Phyllis (Cindy's mom) and I went on a vacation to Savannah Ga. We decided to go on one of the ghost tours. We walked around with the guide and the rest of the tour group to each home while he told of which homes were haunted and the stories behind the haunting. We were at the last house on the tour when I started to smell a sweet scent. I knew that it wasn't a flower, but more of a sweet tobacco scent that you smell when someone is smoking a pipe. I looked around at everybody to see if anyone was smoking a pipe, but they weren't. When the tour was over and we were on our way to the car, I asked Cindy and Phyllis if they could smell anything. Cindy said that she didn't smell anything unusual, but Phyllis said that since that last house that we were at, she could smell a sweet scent. It lasted all the way to the car and stopped when we closed the doors. Phyllis and I were joking about the ghost following us and Cindy thought that we were crazy. We decided to go to Tybee Beach and walk out on the pier that same night. We stayed out on the pier for a little while and then decided to call it a night. We were walking down the pier towards our car when all of a sudden that same sweet scent was back. At the very same moment, Phyllis and I turned toward each other and she asked me if I smelled it too. I told her that I did, and again it lasted till we got in our car. We never smelled it again that night, but both Phyllis and I think that it was our ghost from the last house that just wanted to take a stroll with us. That night, Cindy was seriously thinking of finding a good nursing home to put me and her mama in because she never could smell the sweet scent and she thought that we were going looney. Hey, it's my only ghost story, so I want to believe that it was a ghost instead of something normal.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2005 :  5:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am not aware of any local legends although I am sure there must be some! But if you are ever in the French Quarter in New Orleans, be sure to take the haunted tour. It is a guided walking tour and you hear haunted tales of love and betrayal and outright horror, all based on true stories.

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2005 :  5:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh! I just thought of a local true story that was actually featured on the Montel Williams show. This happened last year I believe. There was a little girl living in a trailer, and she told her mother that she had an imaginary friend. The imaginary friend (who was also a little girl) told her that she had been murdered by two men who had not been brought to justice. That would have freaked me out but the mother chalked it up to imagination and ignored it. Later, the trailer was moved and a few human bones were found underneath which appeared to be that of a child. Police are investigating.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 16 2005 :  7:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sooo, ye want ghosties, do ye me pretties? Well, just ye click on the link below, and ye shall have them!

http://home.att.net/%7Efcwilliams/erin/ghosts.html

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 16 2005 :  7:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Dances with Beagles said: ...your local Bigfoot, so to speak, (even though Bigfoot was, surprise, surprise, a hoax!).

Now Lassie, do not discount something just because it is not standing in front of you. If you remember the chapter in my tale, titled 'MacMillan's Gambit', I made mention of a similar creature found in both Iroquios (Ot-ne-yar-hed), and Algonquin (Wendigo) legend. Now these legends were passed on in the oral tradition of their respective peoples, which makes me wonder how much is truth versus fantasy. There have been far too many such tales of 'wild bushmen' found throughout the world, to have me dismiss it all as a myth. I have also hunted and hiked in areas of my own state, and the Pacific Northwest, where you could have hidden an army of such creatures, and no one would have ever known...

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
  Previous Topic: The Battle of Oriskany Anniversary. Topic Next Topic: Bushy Run Battlefield  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07