The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
6/29/2024 10:32:14 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Event: The Battle of Oriskany Anniversary.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Paul Revere, ... Topic Next Topic: Local Legends  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2003 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Previous Month  August 2003  Next Month
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

August 6, 2003 is the 226th anniversary of the Battle of Oriskany.

On Aug. 6, 1777, 800 men and boys of the Tryon County Militia, in the Mohawk Valley of New York, along with about 60 allied Oneida warriors were ambushed in the forest by the combined forces of British regulars, Tories and the Mohawk and Seneca warriors of Chief Joseph Brant. The Militia was enroute to Fort Stanwix to assist the garrison there in ending the seige of the fort.

From her home at the Indian Castle, Molly Brant, sister of Joseph Brant, saw the Militia gathering to leave and sent a runner to her brother. Lt. Col. St. Leger and Brant planned and executed a deadly ambush about 7 miles east of the fort, near the Oneida village of Oriska.

The battle was a brutal, violent, hand-to-hand, neighbor-against-neighbor, fight that lasted for hours. It is said that the little creek in the ravine ran red with blood, with terrible losses on both sides. It ended when Brant's warriors had literally "had enough" and retreated. The British and Tories had no choice but to follow, leaving the field to the Militia.

Of the 860 men who were involved on the Patriot side, there were barely 200 left standing in the end. It has been called one of the bloodiest battles of the Revolutionary War. Although they were not able to achieve their goal of relieving the fort, the result of this brave stance by German Palatine farmers and Oneida braves was that the Mohawk Valley was saved from invasion by the Crown forces, and the resulting Battles of Saratoga changed the course of American history.

Each year, a Solemn Commemoration Ceremony is held at the Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site, near Rome in the Mohawk Valley of New York. During the ceremony, public officials, park personnel, representatives of the Oneida Nation, and descendants of all battle participants (whether Loyalist, British, Iroquois or Patriot) gather to honor the fallen heroes of the battle. The ceremony includes verbal tributes, Oneida and English prayers, raising of 3 flags (American, British and Oneida), and laying of wreaths under the great tall monument.

Last year, at the 225th anniversary, it was my priviledge to be able to take part in the ceremony. Descendants were encouraged to take part in the march-in parade, and were also involved in passing the wreaths to the monument. It was an experience I will not soon forget.
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2003 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Several years ago, I wrote this fictionalized account of a story that has been handed down through my family. I even gathered my courage and read this story at a meeting of my local genealogical society.

The Dream

The Time: Aug. 3, 1777

The Place: The valley of the Mohawk River in Tryon County of the colony of New York.

The Scene: There is much excitement and tumult in the valley!

General Nicholas Herkimer has just put out the call for all members of the Tryon County Militia who are between the ages of 16 and 60 to proceed to muster at Fort Dayton. Word has come that the militia is needed at once to come to the assistance of the garrison of Fort Stanwix, which is near the Oneida Carry. Lt. Col. Barry St. Leger, Sir John Johnson, Col. John Butler, Chief Joseph Brant and about 2000 soldiers, Tories, and Seneca and Mohawk warriors have laid siege to the fort. Col. Peter Gansevoort and his command are holding the fort, but desire additional men to assist in their defense.

But what is this? There is a commotion in the household of Nicholas Snell! It seems that his wife, Elizabeth Zimmerman Snell, whom everyone knows has The Sight... has had a dream. In her dream, she saw that something terrible happened to the families of the Mohawk Valley, and in particular to the Snell Family. She is very frightened, and has done something that no wife should do. She has hidden her husband’s musket!

Now, I ask you! What good is a Militiaman without his musket? Nicholas is frantic. The Militia has left without him. He will be the laughingstock of the valley if he cannot join them, and stands to be disciplined by his General.

Finally, after more than a day of pleading and demanding, Elizabeth has relented and has fetched his musket from the hollow tree where she hid it. As quickly as he can be ready, Nicholas sets out to Fort Dayton. Upon his arrival there, he discovers that the Militia has left. He quickly sets out to follow and hopes to catch them before they reach Fort Stanwix.

On the afternoon of Aug. 6th, as he passes the Oneida village of Oriska (seven miles distant from Fort Stanwix), he hears sounds coming from the west that make him quicken his steps. As he gets closer, the sounds convince him there is a battle in progress, but as he advances through the woods, it suddenly stops. There is utter silence.

Carefully, Nicholas proceeds through the trees. Oh! The horror of it! Everywhere he looks, Nicholas sees the wounded... the dying... and the dead. Men are clustered around Gen. Herkimer, who has received a wound in his leg. The small creek running through the ravine is running red with blood. Where, oh where, are his kinsmen? Nicholas searches frantically and finds that 7 Snell men, his cousins, are dead. But where is the 8th? His cousin Peter Snell is still missing. Ah! At last! He is wounded, but alive.

Nicholas helps those who have survived to gather the wounded, carrying them on makeshift litters or even on their backs because there were not enough ox carts to carry them all. They creep away, leaving the dead as they lay on the field, and trudge wearily back to their settlements.

The Time: Two weeks after the battle.

The Scene: Now there is much mourning in the valley of the Mohawk River.

Of the 800 Militiamen who responded to the call, there are only about 200 who were not wounded, captured or killed. Not one household in the valley remains untouched by grief. General Herkimer has died as a result of a leg amputation. But there is secret happiness in Elizabeth’s heart. While she grieves for her kinswomen, her actions have probably saved her husband’s life.

The Time: The present.

Nicholas Snell fought in another Militia battle but survived, and died in 1803. Elizabeth lived for many more years. All of her life, she was highly respected for her gift of clairvoyance, which
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 04 2003 :  7:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fine job, WW!!!

I'm going to set some time aside one evening, or more likely over the weekend, to scan some Oriskany/Stanwix pics. The whole Mohawk Valley area is so beautiful & historic. Come to think of it, I think I mentioned elsewhere on this board very recently the thought of scanning something someone had brought up. What? Anyone remember???

Anyway, years back we had a fantastic family vacation, heading out to Niagara Falls & Fort Niagara, and then heading through Stanwix and Oriskany. There was a wonderful living historian at the battlefield - an elderly gentleman - who worked with my boys [we had but the 3 eldest back then] - showing them how to shoot, march, etc. Great place[s]!!!

Oh ... one more factor led to the British defeat at Saratoga ... Lord Howe's little affair in my hometown of NYC. He never did march north up the Hudson Valley as proposed. WOMEN!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2003 :  8:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Oh ... one more factor led to the British defeat at Saratoga ... Lord Howe's little affair in my hometown of NYC. He never did march north up the Hudson Valley as proposed. WOMEN!

Yep! Thank you, Mrs. Loring!

Rich, when I first saw the Battlefield in 1994, it had been virtually shut down by the Cuomo administration. The Visitor's Center was empty except for some chairs and some flags on the walls. The Ranger who was on duty was sitting in his pickup truck for the few hours he was there, waiting for people who just might happen to stop by. I was so dismayed that I wrote a letter to the woman who is the New York State Park Commissioner begging her to do something.

I have no idea whether my letter had any impact, but shortly after that it all changed! The Pataki administration opened it up again, and budgeted more money. The woman who was placed in charge of the site has done wonders! The visitor's center has been totally remodeled, with some displays added, a tiny gift shop, more staff to keep it open more hours, etc. Visitors to the site have quadrupled in the past 6 or so years!

There is a Descendants' Registry, a "Friends" group, and there are infrared imaging (I think that's what it is?) and archaeological studies going on. They are attempting to locate a mass burial/grave site without disturbing the hallowed ground too much.

Scanning and posting more photos of the Mohawk Valley would be great! 'Tis beautiful, isn't it? I was not born there, and never lived there, but it is "my home."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 06 2003 :  06:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Since today is the day of this event, here are a couple of photos already up on the site in the history section:

Oriskany Battlefield -

Fort Stanwix -

How serene things look today!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rich!

The Battlefield has a brand new website! (I had been hoping that someone would get one up, and was about ready to learn how and do it myself!) It was created by a summer employee (college age) of the Battlefield. It is very out-of-the-ordinary. Be sure and take "the tour", which is on "The Grounds... today" page. A very different way of presenting photos of the site.

http://www.oriskanybattlefield.com/index2.htm

Check it out...

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 06 2003 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Holy cow!!! Nice use of hot spots - interesting little site, WWWW. [Wonderful & Wise Wilderness Woman!] Some of their pictures are very similar to mine. Made me feel like I was there all over again ...

Once upon a time, when we could all fit in one vehicle, we used to regularly take little mini-vacations to historic places - ala Niagara/Stanwix/Oriskany/Cooperstown, Williamsburg/Jamestown/ Shenandoah/Yorktown, Fort Necessity/Old Bedford/Jumonville Glen/Intercourse .... whoops! Better stop there!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  9:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I simply can't resist posting these...

This is the ravine where the ambush occured. My brother is reading the signboard that sits next to the "Bloody" Creek.
Image Insert:

55.29 KB

The monument viewed from the top of the ravine, looking up toward the high ground, where the Militia regrouped around the wounded Gen. Herkimer.
Image Insert:

35.38 KB

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  10:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and these, from the 225th Anniversary, Aug. 2002.

Reenactors waiting in line with us to "march-in" and begin the ceremony.

Image Insert:

83.19 KB

The three flags were raised to half-mast, where they stayed for 30 days.

Image Insert:

65.83 KB

When the ceremony ended, it was nearly totally dark. Hundreds of luminarias had been lighted, creating a pathway up the hill. After we had walked through, I turned and saw the lighted monument. It was incredibly beautiful.

Image Insert:

54.45 KB

At a picnic luncheon, on the Sunday before the Solemn Ceremony, the first annual Spirit of Oriskany Award was presented. The two young men in flight jump-suits were from the Syracuse-based squadron of the Air National Guard. They received this very special award because they answered the call of duty, and were prepared to obey orders, on Sept. 11, 2001. They were "scrambled"... to get their fighter jets into the air. Their orders? To shoot down Flight 93.

The Commander of the squadron (holding the lantern) said it was the worst day of his life. Fortunately for them, they did not have to carry out those orders. Some other heroes took care of it for them.

Image Insert:

87.39 KB

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2004 :  08:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Today is the 227th Anniversary of the Battle.

Each year on this day, I pay tribute to Lt. Henrich Zimmerman and Private Peter Snell of the Tryon County Militia. Both men were not youngsters when called to battle. Henry was nearly 60. Both men were wounded but lived to die of old age. Both men were German Palatine descendants. Both men were my 4th great-grandfathers.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

demilbaby
Lost in the Wilderness

September 14 2005

Posted - September 14 2005 :  3:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Today is the 227th Anniversary of the Battle.

Each year on this day, I pay tribute to Lt. Henrich Zimmerman and Private Peter Snell of the Tryon County Militia. Both men were not youngsters when called to battle. Henry was nearly 60. Both men were wounded but lived to die of old age. Both men were German Palatine descendants. Both men were my 4th great-grandfathers.

I am a 10th generation graddaughter of LT Henrich Zimmerman aka Lt Henry Timmerman. I own the book Descendants of Lieut. Henry Timmerman of Herkimer County, New York by Carolyn Timmerman Sidenius and I am trying to join DAR under Lt Henry any help would be appricated. The book says Lt Henry was 69 years 4 months and 18 days old when he died. And I think you already know this but in the battle of oriskany he was seriously wounded in the left side and i learned from nancys corner that he was carried of the battle field by 2 nephews and some friendly indians and was ordered to go to general herkimers home to be treated by the generals doctor. Im trying to find copys of his pension papers where he recieved $120 per year from Ny state after his disability caused him problems.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 14 2005 :  4:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Hello, Cousin!

I did receive your email. Let me check my files and I will get back to you in private.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 14 2005 :  4:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fascinating WW, - a great read, and some very interesting history, thanks.

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 14 2005 :  7:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well... and thank you! As most people here can attest to, I l-o-o-o-o-o-v-e- talking about my Patriot ancestors. I am very proud of them all.

BTW... I did some recounting, and both of these men were my 5th Great-grandfathers, not 4th.

Wow! I don't feel quite so old now!

Previous Topic: Paul Revere, ... Topic Next Topic: Local Legends  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07