The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/3/2024 3:24:26 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Bushy Run Battlefield
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Local Legends Topic Next Topic: Valley Forge
Page: of 3

scotranger
Pathfinder

Leo
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 04 2003

Posted - June 01 2003 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bushy Run Battlefield is celebrating the 240th Anniversary of the Battle of Bushy Run on August 2 & 3, 2003. If you haven't had the chance to see the reenactment in previous years, please take time out of your schedule to see it. I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable. Granted, it's not a Gettysburg size reenactment but we like to think we put on a great living history event. Wonderful living historians bring to life the pivotal battle that occured during Pontiac's War. The event has 2 battle tacticals. The morning battle portrays the action of August 5 and the afternoon engagement lays out winning tactics of Col. Henry Bouquet of August 6, 1763. British Encampment, Native Village along with Sutlers and Demonstrators takes the visitor back to the Eighteenth Century. Hope to see you there.

Scotranger

"NATIVUM RETINET DECUS-ET DOMI, ET FORIS"
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 06 2003 :  2:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Too bad it's not a real reenactment like Gettysburg where they take casualties etc.But I guess if I were on staff out there too I'd have to talk it up no matter what

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 06 2003 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been to many "reenactments" down here in the Carolinas ... Cowpens, Guilford Courthouse, etc. [Revolutionary War battles, for the uninitiated], where "casualties" were not allowed. In fact, if the reenactment of the Gettysburg battle were held on the site itself, the NPS wouldn't allow "casualties" there, either. Often times, State & Federal sites do not allow exchange of fire toward one another. That's OK. The idea, for the masses watching, is educational ... in that, every reenactment or living history presentation I've had the good fortune to witness did just that. "Casualties" or not. I'm fairly certain the same would apply to Bushy Run ... Battle of Bushy Run

scotranger
Pathfinder

Leo
USA

May 04 2003

Posted - June 07 2003 :  10:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good point. Most reenactors enjoy educating the public. Some just want to play war. If you want to know about the casualties, you can read about them in a book and I'm sure that the interpreters explain the results i.e killed and wounded.

Scotranger

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 07 2003 :  1:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A battle without casualties looks hokey.I've heard more than one comment from small children at these events who've said so.Since they can see far worse things on HBO,who is really being educated then?

Highlander

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 07 2003 :  11:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I've been to many "reenactments" down here in the Carolinas

Rich, there is a difference in some of these. Cowpens and Ninety Six, for example, are located on NPS land. On these sites you cannot point a gun at another person, and firing is done towards the woods. Guilford Courthouse is on State Park land, and the firing is done toward each other (with plenty of safety rules), and plenty of casualties. The same is true of Camden. If you go into the WNA period (aka Civil War), the Battle of Aiken is the largest reenactment in SC, and has an hour long cannonade, with canister being fired at close range toward infantry, and hundreds of casualties. Unlike the other events I mentioned you have to pay to get in, and there are thousands of spectators. I think it gives the spectators a better perspective of what those battles were really like, in so far as any reenactment can really do that.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - June 08 2003 :  05:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Didn't mean to sound as if I was "anti-casualty" - nothing of the sort! Seems I remember Guilford being on the NPS land the year I went ... Anyway, the part of Ed's statement I was actually commenting on was: But I guess if I were on staff out there too I'd have to talk it up no matter what - The implication, I thought, being that because there were no casualties allowed at this particular event [Bushy Run] an inferior product was being promoted. That doesn't seem fair. HBO aside, I am the father of 10 children and anytime any of them was brought to an event, they thoroughly enjoyed it! [Except maybe Miriam who was scared to death at Williamsburg by a cannon blast!] There's nothing in the movies that comes close to seeing those bright red uniforms, beards, accoutrements, muzzleloaders, horses ... up close. And the smell of powder. That brings it to life!

PS - Nothing wrong with the boys having a spot of fun while educating!

scotranger
Pathfinder

Leo
USA

May 04 2003

Posted - June 08 2003 :  09:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Make's a guy wonder why Mr. G threw in his two cents only to put up negative remarks on Bushy Run. If memory serves me correctly highlander and some of his acquaintences were more than happy to do educational programs at Bushy Run or Ft. Pitt a short time ago for a fee. I only posted the Bushy Run Topic to give any persons interested in reenactments a date to add to their calendar. Some people only feel good about themselves when they are putting someone or something down. I guess some people just need a soap box.

Scotranger

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 08 2003 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I remember Guilford being on the NPS land

Guilford Courthouse is part of the National Park Service, and all of the permanent exhibits are on park land. The battle is not where the original was, but away from the NPS land. The whole area is surrounded by the city of Greensboro, and houses adjoin the park. I don't usually go to reenactments (Seen one, seen'em all). I go to shop at the sutler's tents, and the best time to do that is during the reenactment. This year I decided to watch the battle, and I have to say that I was impressed. The units there did a great job. I would recommend this to anyone.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 08 2003 :  4:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by scotranger

Make's a guy wonder why Mr. G threw in his two cents only to put up negative remarks on Bushy Run. If memory serves me correctly highlander and some of his acquaintences were more than happy to do educational programs at Bushy Run or Ft. Pitt a short time ago for a fee. I only posted the Bushy Run Topic to give any persons interested in reenactments a date to add to their calendar. Some people only feel good about themselves when they are putting someone or something down. I guess some people just need a soap box.

Sounds like you're also on the payroll at Bushy Run Mr.S.If memory serves me,CERTAIN members of the BlackWatch continue to do educational programs at this site(not me,as you have seen to that),and are a big hit with the public because they expect to see a soldier in uniform there.(besides,the natives charge more anyway)This does not mean that there aren't problems there though.Are you implying that we should shut-up and take our money and "not pay any attention to the man behind the curtain?"Be thankful that there are people out there who care enough to speak out when a problem exists.Unlike your NPS credo of "quash any dissent"because we are the NPS,and we know what's best for you".Come to think of it,there's a myriad of other Alphabet soup agencies out there who have the same mentality.But I digress.(no offense to the USPS Rich,they're not in on that).Just think how boring places Fort Pitt/Bushy Run would be,if yours was the only voice to be heard.

On the matter of casualties,what is a war movie other than a reenactment of a battle that once happened(more or less anyway).If you think that a movie such as Apocalypse Now Redux or even LOTM would attract an audience if there were no casualties,I seriously doubt it.This brings me back to my teen years when the T.V.series "The A-Team" was popular.Having come from "the gun culture" in Western Pa. when most boys are out deer hunting by age 12 and then that obligatory stint in the military,there is an ingrained respect for firearms.This is especially true if one finds himself accidentally on the receiving end of these weapons.A healthy respect then develops about what one of these weapons has the potential to do to youYet to watch George Peppard or Mr.T blow off thousands of rounds every week and NOBODY receive so much as a scratch was indeed hilarious.The same can be said for reenactments.'Nuff said.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 09 2003 :  04:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by scotranger

Bushy Run Battlefield is celebrating the 240th Anniversary of the Battle of Bushy Run on August 2 & 3, 2003. If you haven't had the chance to see the reenactment in previous years, please take time out of your schedule to see it. I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable. Granted, it's not a Gettysburg size reenactment but we like to think we put on a great living history event. Wonderful living historians bring to life the pivotal battle that occured during Pontiac's War. The event has 2 battle tacticals. The morning battle portrays the action of August 5 and the afternoon engagement lays out winning tactics of Col. Henry Bouquet of August 6, 1763. British Encampment, Native Village along with Sutlers and Demonstrators takes the visitor back to the Eighteenth Century. Hope to see you there.

One more thought before I go.It is hypocritical to hold a reenactment at Bushy Run while denying the same at Fort Pitt's Colonial Fair in 2002-2003 ie; The Battle of Grant's Hill.If you read your Papers of Henry Bouquet Vol.II & VI you will see that what happened at Grant's Hill was actually bigger than the action at Bushy Run.I even heard that a documentary just came out on it.Since you're the Site Administrator for both places,getting paid the big buck$I would have thought that you would know this.

Highlander

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 09 2003 :  1:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Are you guys going to declare war or are you just going to continue to use weapons of mouth destruction against each other?

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 09 2003 :  3:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Are you guys going to declare war or are you just going to continue to use weapons of mouth destruction against each other?

I'll have my second get back to you

Highlander

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - June 09 2003 :  3:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My personal opinion is that if there are no casualties it should not be called a battle reenactment. But rather a demonstration of period tactics, for that is what it essentially is, not a reenactment of a battle. I think it's unfortunate that the NPS has gone the way of denying the existence of violence. I know that over the last few years, in the wake of school shootings, 9/11, etc. people have tried to hide guns and violence from the public, as if they don't exist. For example, Disneyland no longer sells toy guns for the kids in "Frontierland", and the jungle boat guide no longer shoots at the hippo. It's unfortunate to see history "Disneyfied" and the denial of reality.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 09 2003 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
CT Ranger, I think you make an excellent point!! Perhaps semantics is the problem here. Having seen only one reenactment that did have casualties, I'm not sure I would find a display of "periord tactics" without the casualties very moving. As Rich said, the smell of gunpowder and, to me, THE SOUND, made the display so real. I suppose this comes down to a difference of opinion that probably will not be settled in this forum, especially if the nonviolence issue is a NPS edict, in which case Scotranger has no authority to change things anyway! While I'm sure there is value in period displays that are WITHOUT the presentation of casualties, I would think the average person that is interested in history and seeks out events such as reenactments, appreciates as close a semblance of reality as can be had. Their passion for history being brought to light! One thing I AM certain of, the desultory exchange of remarks escalating here are not productive. Can't we discuss the pros and cons of specific reenactments without making it personal or pointing fingers?!

Come on guys...you all have such a wealth of information to share, but this discourse you have going on here distracts so much from the exchange of information. Let's put the personal digs aside gents, PLEASE!!!!

Di

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 09 2003 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Right on, CT........'Tactical Demonstration' is correct whenever an actual battle did not take place on the site. The public has trouble understanding this, primarily due to event publicity calling their event a "reenactment". We have to be very sure when we help set these things up that the organizers understand the difference and insist that the proper terminology is used. Some sites I play at do call call their casualty-free gun play Tactical Demonstrations and that is OK.....and here is where a good narrator is necessary.

We can thank the PC police and their kind for the bloodless warfare, but they don't seem to care too much for what their super-sensitive kiddies watch on MTV, video games and the movies, now, do they? The NPS position on all of this is not surprising, given their current mission, and their Disneyesque approach to forest fire prevention. (Hmmmmmmm........wonder how many people have attempted to love up a cute little bear like ol' Smokey?)

I do not advocate the inclusion of loads and buckets of blood, guts, and gore, but to show a few casualties is not out of line.

The exercise of common sense goes a long way in determining what is appropriate and what is not.

Will you be at Ti?

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 09 2003 :  5:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Not being schooled on re-enactment do's and don'ts, I remember when I went down to Horseshoe Bend and asked whether they do re-enactments the reply was no because it was a NPS. The young man told me it had to do with it being the actual battleground. They do have tactical demonstrations and a very good narrator. And, Stephanie you can clarify this if I'm mistating, the re-enactments of Chickamauga are not on the actual battleground, either. Now, down at Fort Toulouse, which is not NPS, they do have re-enactments with the guns, cannons, death, etc....and it IS very real and quite moving.

Theresa

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - June 12 2003 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hot button time again!

I've been doing F&I War living history/reenacting in the midwest for almost 30 years now. I've been in a leadership role in many events, mostly smaller ones, and narrated at quite a few. So I've dealt with the casualty issue at quite a number of events, and I think there's no one right answer. In a number of cases, I've recommended against simulating casualties, and only once before have I been accused of being PC (and that was because I said some kind things about "the other side" in a still controversial historical military conflict).

I've been at many events where the sponsors wanted an opposed tactical, complete with simulated casualties, etc., when we didn't even have enough combatants for a decent barroom brawl. Not only that, but they only had a big open area for the demonstration, and the opposing forces consisted of Rangers, Light Infantry, milice and Natives, all of whom would have done all they could to avoid a fight on that terrain. Frequently, we've been able to replace the "battle" with an unopposed tactical where we were actually able to demonstrate tactical maneuvers. The public and the sponsors were usually pleasantly surprised, and educated.

On the other hand, I would like a dollar for every big event that I've attended where the French complained after every battle that green Ranger weskits must be made of Kevlar, and of course the Rangers and Redcoats said the same about trade shirts and light blue sleeved weskits. I think we (reenactors) have all seen massed troops firing devastating volleys at point blank range with few or no casualties. And, especially here in the midwest, it became the custom at the end of mock battles for the narrator or someone else to intone, in a mock solemn voice: "The dead may rise!". I don't think it's PC to worry about someone in the audience who's lost a family member or friend in a real battle being upset by such a cavalier ending to what should be a thought provoking demonstration.

This is not to say that there's no place for simulating casualties. If it can be done well, and the participants really try to walk the line between Hollywood hokey and such realism that you scare people away, and if a narrator or someone else interprets the end of the battle with (hopefully) the same insight and consideration they've brought to the rest of the demonstration, a "mock" battle can be an effective teaching tool.

In the end, it's not really about whether or not casualties should be simulated. A battle, tactical, or whatever is not instantly good or bad just because of this issue, and neither is an event. It's about taking seriously the responsibility we have as living historians/reenactors/educators to educate ourselves and the public about the sacrifices made by those who've gone before us by recreating the era, in the most effective ways possible given the site, the audience, the purpose of the event, and many other issues. I don't think it's fair or productive to condemn a site or an event because they don't allow casualties. I don't entirely agree with the NPS, and I think they're stand is extreme, but I've seen enough bad simulated battles that I don't entirely disagree with them either. And I agree wholeheartedly with Gadget Girl - let's stick to the issues, and leave the personal comments alone.

OK, I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Two Kettles

giant greman
Pathfinder

Cartman
USA

June 14 2003

Posted - June 15 2003 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Having been a black powder safety officer in PA and knowing both Bushyrun and Ft. Pitt and thier reenacments I would like to share some observances.
Firstly Ft. Pitts new director has decided that he is unwilling to defy the state safety rules and has stopped force Vs. Force engagments because of the severe limitations of range, and complete inability to secure a safe zone of fire(due to geography of the site,boater,walker, ect.). Previous directors have taken it apon them selves to allow events to happen even though the site doesn't meet safety rules but put thier careers in 65 reenactors hands and the hand of fate. luckely they haven't had any major problems since they stopped firering cannons in 1996. another problem is the shortage of safety officers. So the new director has a choice to make given that there is said shortage, and the lack of safe zones, and he has to take into acount that the previous year the reenactors started thier force Vs. force engagment with out waiting for the head safety officer, and have a history of not adhearing to required safety rules(like firering cannon with out a full crew or full safe range at a public school). I personally can under stand why he doesn't allow force on force engagments. They do still have a tactical demonstration though.
As for Bushyrun and the ramrod /casulty issue. I have a few opinions on this as well. The man who had his ram rod taken was warned the previous year and had to return is rod during prebattle safety check, the next year he carried it onto the field any way.whether or not he was firering he was still carring a piece of equiptment capable of firering. At the time the rule was no ramrods and if it were up to me it would still be no raam rods. The slight un reallity of firering with out ramrods in a battle is far out weighed by the possible harm it could cause the public or other reenactors, The responsability to protect falls on the safety officer and museum who is the insuring party at these events. many of these events couldn't happen for public viewing if they were handled by private sites as the insurance cost would be prohibative. a ram rod loaded over a a blank charge will kill out to 250 yrds. and cause cause a great deal more damge if the rod breaks up.
as for casualties I would like to see them at sights but they are currently not feasible. the old practice of falling when you get tired can't happen for safety reasons,no one could know for sure if some one fell to bow out or was having a heart attack, or heatstroke, as units are marching and firering they caan't really tell if a guy is acting or realy hurt and neither can a safety officer. to safely due it you would have to predetermine the people to fall and after they fall have some one check them before leaving them(like a water girl a good use for noncombatants) maybe some day it can be done but not with out more planning and a increase in safety officers/security(another possible use for noncombatants). any how with the current soldiers apearing at bushyrun your accurate casualties would be 2 indians and 17 british and that would be spread out between both battles reanacted at the sight. would that really be that helpfull to the public considering that both battles are described during the reenactment by guides who tell them the details. rather than worrying about these slight inacuraces due to safety requirments why not focus more on educating the public at the camp were the really amazing and interesting parts of reenacting are(living and enjoying life on the frontier)It may not be as much fun but its a much better chalenge.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 15 2003 :  5:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You almost sound convincing,however you fail to mention that it is the Site Administrator's(Mr.Livingston I presume?)personal philosophy that prohibits battles at Fort Pitt,not any safety rule.If he were to go public with his personal views of pacifism & non-aggression,he'd be the laughingstock of eventsespecially since he is at a military site(more so than he is now).The truth of the matter is that he is a bureauacrat who is close to retirement,and doesn't want to do anything to rock the boat(or anything period).

I've been to some truly outstanding reenactments at Forts Niagara & Ticonderoga that involved thosands of reenactors who took casualties and carried ramrods in their muskets.Mind you,we're talking thousands of reenactors here,but did not see any of these problems that you are talking about.Yes,a water girl did appear by the side of each casualty to see if they were in need of assistance.I have never heard of anyone shooting a ramrod out of their gun even at a Civil War reenactment,involving even thousands more reenactors.A live round or two certainly,but never a ramrod.Let's tell it like it is.Several years ago,the then Site Administrator of Fort Pitt/Bushy Run gave a musket to an untrained individual at the PHMC site at Somerset during a reenactment.Yes,this individual fired a "wooden" ramrod from a first model Bess that struck a bystander in the arm.But who was at fault here,The Site Administrator or the 16 year old who had never fired before?I will let the reader decide.Why punish a whole bunch of people for the actions of one for something that will probably never happen again?Seriously,a ramrod?One would almost have to do that on purpose.I would also like to hear from some members of the general public on the matter,not people who purport to be on staff at these sites who are trying to win "brownie points" with the boss.My guess is that these staff members would condone human sacrifice if it meant the difference between a full-time v.part-time position and the means to improve their lot in life.

Highlander

giant greman
Pathfinder

Cartman
USA

June 14 2003

Posted - June 15 2003 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
sorry you guessed wrong my name is fred and although I have worked at both sites I have no interest in scoring brownie points I only am interested in the sites that I have volenteered at since I was 16 and have worked at for 5 years. I have nor have I ever held or wanted a permenate position at the sites but work as a seasonal while I go to college. what your missing is that these things did happen, teh ram rod at sommerset, the cannon at fortpitt, I have seen video of a civil war reenactment where a canon prematurely fired due to use of under age under manned gun and launched a ramrod and a young man 25yrds, severely wounding the boy and splintering the ramrod all over the field. safety is a progressive thing and as such they are trying to see what they can do safely and this year allowed ramrods, as for Fort Pitt being the site directors decision it is, and although he doesn't have a reputatoin for liking reenactors he hasn't always gotten the kind of encuragment from his local group that would make him change his mind. in the end if some one gets hurt it is his fault, and you can't deny that reenactors starting with out their safety officer and reports of previous instances were field cannon where fired by a 3 man crew instead of a 5 and on the recess yeard of a public school are not great confedence builders. If you really look at the rules Fort Pitt doesn't comply with the safety guidlines, they are not rules they a guidlines and each site director will make up his own mind and take his own chances. but how reallistic of a reenacment can you have on the open flat 12ft higher point between the parkways can you have. I think that a well designed drill presentation can do alot to tell the story and there is enough space and safety officers to handle that.
as for the incident at summerset if there wasn't a ram rod in the first place could it even have been shot? I just feel you must remeber not every reenactor on the field will experience drilling like many british units do. you have indians who all want to be individuals, and rangers and pack horse drivers that are marching on the field as scirmishers who may not be trained, we have to protect every one even the stupid.(like when you buy a knife and it has paper work telling you that it is sharp and can cut!)
You can compair every one you want with chuck and say what ever you want but I will say this since i worked there in 98-00 there are more people coming to the museum now than ever. admittedly most are there because of the secound floor, but its some improvment but there is a hell of a long way to go. I will end this with a memory of mine that I have never forgotten.
when I was a young kid my parents brought me to the colonial fair back when it filled both side of the point and the thing I remember the most was drilling a hole into a log with the guy reenacting a carpenter, and fred trelffal telling stories to groups of kids. although I remeber the soldiers I don't remember the battles. but Iknow about them now.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 16 2003 :  2:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by giant greman

sorry you guessed wrong my name is fred and although I have worked at both sites I have no interest in scoring brownie points I only am interested in the sites that I have volenteered at since I was 16 and have worked at for 5 years. I have nor have I ever held or wanted a permenate position at the sites but work as a seasonal while I go to college. what your missing is that these things did happen, teh ram rod at sommerset, the cannon at fortpitt, I have seen video of a civil war reenactment where a canon prematurely fired due to use of under age under manned gun and launched a ramrod and a young man 25yrds, severely wounding the boy and splintering the ramrod all over the field. safety is a progressive thing and as such they are trying to see what they can do safely and this year allowed ramrods, as for Fort Pitt being the site directors decision it is, and although he doesn't have a reputatoin for liking reenactors he hasn't always gotten the kind of encuragment from his local group that would make him change his mind. in the end if some one gets hurt it is his fault, and you can't deny that reenactors starting with out their safety officer and reports of previous instances were field cannon where fired by a 3 man crew instead of a 5 and on the recess yeard of a public school are not great confedence builders. If you really look at the rules Fort Pitt doesn't comply with the safety guidlines, they are not rules they a guidlines and each site director will make up his own mind and take his own chances. but how reallistic of a reenacment can you have on the open flat 12ft higher point between the parkways can you have. I think that a well designed drill presentation can do alot to tell the story and there is enough space and safety officers to handle that.
as for the incident at summerset if there wasn't a ram rod in the first place could it even have been shot? I just feel you must remeber not every reenactor on the field will experience drilling like many british units do. you have indians who all want to be individuals, and rangers and pack horse drivers that are marching on the field as scirmishers who may not be trained, we have to protect every one even the stupid.(like when you buy a knife and it has paper work telling you that it is sharp and can cut!)
You can compair every one you want with chuck and say what ever you want but I will say this since i worked there in 98-00 there are more people coming to the museum now than ever. admittedly most are there because of the secound floor, but its some improvment but there is a hell of a long way to go. I will end this with a memory of mine that I have never forgotten.
when I was a young kid my parents brought me to the colonial fair back when it filled both side of the point and the thing I remember the most was drilling a hole into a log with the guy reenacting a carpenter, and fred trelffal telling stories to groups of kids. although I remeber the soldiers I don't remember the battles. but Iknow about them now.

You are correct sir,in that more people are coming to the museum now because of the new second floor,but leave disappointd when they find out that nothing is there.More so,when they expect to see a battle,and there isn't one.When the reenactors start going to Old Bedford Village instead of Bushy Run because of a variety of reasons that you had the opportunity to address,then it shouldn't come as any suprise to you guys in the PHMC.

Highlander

giant greman
Pathfinder

Cartman
USA

June 14 2003

Posted - June 21 2003 :  4:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will say this but must preface that it is not the opinion of the PHMC, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, or any one other than my own opinion.althought it has been established that I have and currently do work for the Commonwealth, I do not represent their voice.

Highlander you are correct to agreee with me that people are coming because of the secound floor, and they may be leaving disapointed but the site director can do very little about that. the schedule to design and construct the exhibits was set long before the current director even saw the site. I will also agree that the state moves slow, but slow and steady worked for the tortoise. Private sites have many opertunities to succeed and out shine the state sites, but they also can fall prey to the many curves of the capitalistic martket system, the whole point of the state sponsored site system is to preserve history and some times that takes time. as much as we would all love to see Ft. Pitt back to its hay day in the years after the bicentenial it doesn't happen over night and it requires a great deal of support from people interested in the goals set for the site. it has taken sites like ligoneer many years to develope the community support necessary to accomplish what they have done. and it will take Ft.Pitt many years to reclaim its spot in the minds of young pittsburghers like it did to me over a decade ago. hopefully some day I will see it happen and be able to have been involved untill then supporters have to struggle with the difficulties of regenerating interest in the history of a town many of its inhabitants want to forget! as much as we would like to think that our great modern Ideas are new most are just our past rehashing it self again in new contexts. some day people other than us will remember that some days you can go farther ahead by looking behind you.
as for the PHMC being suprised, as long as PA is part of the United states of America, and some one some where has some interest in history they will be there rain or shine and they can wade out the storms. and if the reenactment can't be succesfull they can try some thing else to help educate the public because that is thier goal not necessarily attracting reenactors. the public doesn't pay to provide the sites as an outlet for a small percentage of the populations interests, but as a source of data for the greater good, a way to preserve the memory of what it has taken to become the nation that we are.
you also address the expectations of the public. the general public has no expectations most Pittsburghers don't even know that anything happened in thier fair city, let alone that there is a plethora of historic sites to tell them about it. The history isn't going to change so there is time to develpe the redources neccessary to reeducate the public of its history.

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 21 2003 :  9:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well said.............WELL said.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - June 22 2003 :  01:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by giant greman

I will say this but must preface that it is not the opinion of the PHMC, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, or any one other than my own opinion.althought it has been established that I have and currently do work for the Commonwealth, I do not represent their voice.

Highlander you are correct to agreee with me that people are coming because of the secound floor, and they may be leaving disapointed but the site director can do very little about that. the schedule to design and construct the exhibits was set long before the current director even saw the site. I will also agree that the state moves slow, but slow and steady worked for the tortoise. Private sites have many opertunities to succeed and out shine the state sites, but they also can fall prey to the many curves of the capitalistic martket system, the whole point of the state sponsored site system is to preserve history and some times that takes time. as much as we would all love to see Ft. Pitt back to its hay day in the years after the bicentenial it doesn't happen over night and it requires a great deal of support from people interested in the goals set for the site. it has taken sites like ligoneer many years to develope the community support necessary to accomplish what they have done. and it will take Ft.Pitt many years to reclaim its spot in the minds of young pittsburghers like it did to me over a decade ago. hopefully some day I will see it happen and be able to have been involved untill then supporters have to struggle with the difficulties of regenerating interest in the history of a town many of its inhabitants want to forget! as much as we would like to think that our great modern Ideas are new most are just our past rehashing it self again in new contexts. some day people other than us will remember that some days you can go farther ahead by looking behind you.
as for the PHMC being suprised, as long as PA is part of the United states of America, and some one some where has some interest in history they will be there rain or shine and they can wade out the storms. and if the reenactment can't be succesfull they can try some thing else to help educate the public because that is thier goal not necessarily attracting reenactors. the public doesn't pay to provide the sites as an outlet for a small percentage of the populations interests, but as a source of data for the greater good, a way to preserve the memory of what it has taken to become the nation that we are.
you also address the expectations of the public. the general public has no expectations most Pittsburghers don't even know that anything happened in thier fair city, let alone that there is a plethora of historic sites to tell them about it. The history isn't going to change so there is time to develpe the redources neccessary to reeducate the public of its history.

Fred,you fail to mention that not only do you work for the PHMC,but so does half of your family(Holy Nepotism Batman!)You hardly bring an unbiased view to the table.Without reenactors,you don't have an event,and there's plenty out there to choose from.You should consider me like the guy in the giant cigarette costume for the anti-smoking commercials that are currently being aired in Pennsylvania.In other words"YOU NEED ME!"So you should really start thinking of ways to attract reenactors to your event instead of trying to cheese them off as your boss does

Highlander

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 22 2003 :  10:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl

CT Ranger, I think you make an excellent point!! Perhaps semantics is the problem here. Having seen only one reenactment that did have casualties, I'm not sure I would find a display of "periord tactics" without the casualties very moving. As Rich said, the smell of gunpowder and, to me, THE SOUND, made the display so real. ...
Di

Same for me, Di. The smell and the sound.

There's something about the impact from a cannon's muzzleblast that brings it all home.

~~Aim small, miss small.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Local Legends Topic Next Topic: Valley Forge  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.67 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07