The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 11:45:18 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Headin' west. To Can-tuck-ee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Mr Phelps Topic Next Topic: Extended DVD  

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - April 26 2005 :  09:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at some maps trying to figure out how to get to Old Bedford Village, and I noticed that Lake George is far to the north of that site, which in turn is far to the north of Kentucky. So if Hawkeye faced north, then turned left (suddenly) he would end probably end up in Lake Ontario rather than "Can-tuck-ee". He must have had an incredibly bad sense of direction. And even if he did somehow make it to Kentucky, he would go through a LOT of moccasins, assuming he avoided the Shawnee.
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 26 2005 :  09:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that's where another line was cut out. After headin' west, they walked quite awhile, then "real sudden like" turned left again - and headed south. Otherwise they's never come close to Can ... well you know what I mean. ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 26 2005 :  11:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wasn't Hawkeye asked how he could go west while the war was being waged when he answered, "...face north and turn left..."?

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 26 2005 :  4:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Could have been in that scene, - but his stated intention was to winter in Can .... quite a bit south of Huron Land.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 26 2005 :  5:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come to think of it, - I think he came across as a bit of a smart-a** in that scene.

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - April 26 2005 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Only a bit??

Yep, I think he was trying to make Duncan feel stupid by implying to go West, all one does is face north and turn left ... answering him in a literal fashion, when what Duncan was looking for was an explanation of motivation and/or means.

I notice that in the expanded edition, they tried to tone Hawkeye's attitude down quite a bit!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

Lurking Huron6313
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 26 2005 :  8:30:30 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by misschanelno5

Only a bit??

Yep, I think he was trying to make Duncan feel stupid by implying to go West, all one does is face north and turn left ... answering him in a literal fashion, when what Duncan was looking for was an explanation of motivation and/or means.

I notice that in the expanded edition, they tried to tone Hawkeye's attitude down quite a bit!

Which was too bad... I rather enjoyed his "attitude"

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - April 26 2005 :  8:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have to say, I rather got a kick out of his "attitude" also! Duncan was every inch the young British officer, new to the American war theater and the situation in the Colonies - as far as how many folks he encountered might or might *not* think of themselves as Englishmen. I thought Hawkeye's comment was a good way of trying to get the point across, once and for all, that the interests of the English (or the French, for that matter) were not the same as his.

As for the "heading west" thing, guess he should have said heading southwest... but the line wouldn't have sounded as good!? ;-)

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - April 26 2005 :  8:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He was pretty fun as a rake! When he had his attitude, I could picture him boozing it up in some pub, practicing the art of the bawdy song.

*Dodging tomatoes from the uber-romantics!*

-- Oscar Wilde

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - April 26 2005 :  8:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

He was pretty fun as a rake! When he had his attitude, I could picture him boozing it up in some pub, practicing the art of the bawdy song.

*Dodging tomatoes from the uber-romantics!*

Are you sure you're not thinking of a more Irish identity here?;-) I got the impression he was confident, but not sure about the rake part... I tend to picture him doing "other" things... Ahem - nuff said!

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - April 26 2005 :  9:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
An Irish sort of rogue would be perfect! Daniel Day-Lewis plays Irishmen in some of his best roles ... maybe that's what's got me mentally casting him as a pubgoer!

-- Oscar Wilde

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - April 26 2005 :  9:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

An Irish sort of rogue would be perfect! Daniel Day-Lewis plays Irishmen in some of his best roles ... maybe that's what's got me mentally casting him as a pubgoer!

Lol!:-) I couldn't have said it better myself! He is such a great example of a son of Eire!

Lurking Huron6172
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 27 2005 :  3:31:53 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm part Irish and I don't booze it up. I like his attitude. Personally though, englishmen have never really done anything for me so any amount of spite thrown in their direction I seem to view with sadistic glee!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 27 2005 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Could anyone imagine what it would have been like to walk it from Albany to Can-tuk-ee? No bathing, wearing them heavy dresses and coats, staring at Hawkeye's and Uncas' tight buns the whole way!. I'd have gone crazy after a mile!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 27 2005 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fear not Night, - hopping into a river was common. Since you wouldn't be wearing a bathing suit, - and folks are folks - nothing's changed all that much, it might have been an enjoyable trip after all. Of course 9 months later you might well have a little "lifetime reminder" of the trip, - no pills either after all.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 27 2005 :  3:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ooops, - that was supposed to be Light - not Night. ;)

mountainheart
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2
USA

February 23 2005

Donating Member

Posted - May 04 2005 :  3:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit mountainheart's Homepage  Send mountainheart a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess that was kind of a blonde moment for me for it totally passed me that they were supposed to be in New York - even though I "knew" that. Having been in the Smokies a lot, I was thinking of that location when he made the comment. Thanks for bringing it up!

"Oh the depth of the human experience!"

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - May 04 2005 :  7:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Funny you should mention that -- though I KNOW the story is set in the New York area, when I watch it, I so identify the scenery with North Carolina that I either forget or just pretend everything is taking place there.

The beauty of cinema! (And denial )

-- Oscar Wilde

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 10 2005 :  3:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Ooops, - that was supposed to be Light - not Night. ;)

That's ok. Call me Night Light! I would have loved to have hiked it myself. I love the wilderness. Did you know that there is a trail that you can hike through the appalachains?

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 10 2005 :  5:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes indeed, - been there a long time. Runs from Goergia in the south, to Maine in the north. I know people who've done a good part of it, but not the entire trail. Sounds as though it would be a very intersting trip, - if one had the time.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 16 2005 :  2:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've planned to be a 2000 miler. It may be years before I'm able to take that kind of time away but it is one of those things I will do before my time here is done. I'm certain of that.
  Previous Topic: Mr Phelps Topic Next Topic: Extended DVD  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.64 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07