The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 1:23:10 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Jumping through the Falls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Resurrect a Mohican Poll Topic Next Topic: I know.....
Page: of 2

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 25 2004

Posted - April 16 2005 :  01:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Long Carbine, nice to meet you! I think you've pretty much summed up the situation at the falls too. Now as far as that bit about Uncas goes... I wouldn't scalp you, or even make you run a gauntlet - but I do think you're dead wrong about his judgement!;-)

And I completely agree with Monadnack that life was hard for *everybody* back then! Having said that, like a lot of the ladies here - I've often been grateful for the exclusively "feminine" conveniences we have right now, *and* for air conditioning. Imagine having a bad case of "the vapors", while having to lug all those skirts and petticoats around on a sweltering summer day on the frontier (or in the heart of Albany, for that matter?)! I am convinced this was Alice's problem when she asks Cora if they can stop for a rest at the beginning of their trip to the fort. ;-)

"I've learned in a lot of native cultures there was a mensus hut you were not permitted to leave until your monthly visitor went away. With the exception for other natural demands." -- Light of the Moon

I remember the first time I ever read about this, thinking it was so cool! It would be such a welcome respite from the backbreaking work one had to engage in for the rest of the month! Really gives you something to consider if you've ever wondered whether it would be "better" to be a settler, or an Indian.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

LongCarbine
Lost in the Wilderness

Chingachgook

April 15 2005

Posted - April 16 2005 :  11:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice to meet you too! About Uncas, I think that if he had been more patient, the three of them could have gone up and finished Mauga off without casualties, but I can understand his actions in the heat of the moment and being in love and all :)

xHanx
Pathfinder

Cora 2
United Kingdom

May 17 2002

Posted - April 23 2005 :  4:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have not checked board for a while, just seen how my innocent and not to mention tongue in cheek remark about bloomers started such a "interesting" discussion. Honestly. minds in the gutter. pft. but rest assured WW I can assure you that even if not invented at the time...I would have been a bloomers pioneer! *going off to search for some nice big leaves... :)

thankyou for opening my eyes to the underwear/or lack thereof situation of this period!(gah no pun intended)

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - April 23 2005 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ewwww that was a bad choice of words xHanx! I noticed that we all have this habit of starting of with one topic and somehow ending up on a really out there type of topic! I guess it's ok though since all of our minds seem to wander in the same direction!

Redbird
Pioneer

USA

August 25 2004

Posted - April 23 2005 :  5:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chasis_22

I noticed that we all have this habit of starting of with one topic and somehow ending up on a really out there type of topic! I guess it's ok though since all of our minds seem to wander in the same direction!

Kind of unsettling, isn't it?

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 25 2005 :  2:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I kinda' like the whole idea of a mensus hut. Just think about getting out of all the hard labor once a month.
HHHMMMM! It has possibilities for the lazy of heart!
And I still think the No Panty concept is comfortable!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Resurrect a Mohican Poll Topic Next Topic: I know.....  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.19 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07