The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 1:24:37 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 I know.....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Jumping through the Falls Topic Next Topic: Last of the Mohicans on the Radio  

pala
Pathfinder

AI
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 14 2003

Posted - April 24 2005 :  2:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You knopw I watched LOTM today again but this time more in depth than I did before. I know how Duncan felt in the film. The only girl he had ever loved never loved him back and wouldn't, he really didn't have anyone, I doubt he had friends or "aquaintances" as they called them back then., And after Hawkeye and Uncas and Chingachgook came on the scene, he really wasn't needed anymore by the girls. I really felt sorry for Duncan, in the end he died alone, trying to save the one girl he loved who turned on him for some Hawkeye dude; his character kind of reminds me of myself and my life. That's why I have so much respect for Steven for playing that role. That by far is my FAVORITE ROLE OF ALL TIME, Major Duncan Heyward. Great guy, great character.

"I saw nothing that would lead me to the conclusion that it was other than a raid by savages bent on thievery." --Major Heyward
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 24 2005 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You make a good point about Duncan pala. He was cast as a rather stiff, and unlikeable individual. He played the part perfectly, - the whole movie was well cast I'd say, and I'm no movie buff. When someone is supposed to be disliked, - and the audience actually ends up disliking them - that's good acting.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 25 2005 :  09:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's even better acting when you dislike AND pity the character, as I do Duncan. Also you have to admire what he did in the end. So, he's more than just a stock character, he's more complex. I wonder what he's like in real life.
Speaking of dislike... nothing can top Wes Studi's performance as Magua. A true villian, even though he explains why he hates the gray hair and wants revenge, I'm not inclined to pity him very much simply because of the malice in his heart. Yes yes I understand some bad things had happened to him.... anyway, the fact that Studi is such a NICE guy makes his acting all the more excellent... that such a nice guy can play such a mean nasty role. Excellent job!!!
Stephanie

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 25 2005 :  1:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I actually pity Magua. It's sad to see the twisted mess man can make of each other. What if you were in the same situation? To loose my spouse to another, I could suffer. To loose my freedom, I could break my captivity. But to live knowing my children were murdered for any reason would make me seek revenge.
  Previous Topic: Jumping through the Falls Topic Next Topic: Last of the Mohicans on the Radio  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07