The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/1/2024 11:29:11 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 I need help... [w/ Indian persona!]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Rev War Excitement in Petersburg Topic Next Topic: FYI -- Quebec City, QC
Page: of 2

hatcreekgirl
Lost in the Wilderness

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
April 15 2004

Posted - April 15 2004 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
from oneida: As for whites who became Indian, don't forget Shikellamy

dont mean to crash the party, but i dont believe your info is correct, that site you provided the link to. i live here, in the sunbury area which was the original shamokin shikellamy hailed from. as we here all know it, shikellamy was 100% indian and so were his sons. he was of susquehannock heritage and was adopted into the oneidas. the delaware called him minqua or mingo (literally means trecherous), and also referred to the susquehannock. shikellamy was friend to john logan, a white man who was secretary to william penn, and james logan, penn 'family steward.' they say shikellamy named his sons after them, john and james logan. of course, they both had traditional names as well. other sources say it was white people who attached the logan names to the men: from http://www.cynthiaswope.com/withinthevines/penna/native/Mingo.html
" Conrad Weiser records in his journals that he had little difficulty distinguishing between Shikellamyís sons. The elder of the two was called Tachnechdours, or John, and the younger Tahgahjute, or James Logan, so named by his father in honor of the Secretary of the Provincial Council of Pennsylvania. For the next 15 years, both sons were generally referred to as the 'Shikellamies,' and it was not until 1765, when they went their separate ways, that white men began to attach to John's name the surname 'Logan,' by mistake. So it was that both brothers became 'Logan.' Without the name John or James attached to Logan, it became virtually impossible to tell which Logan was meant when spoken of. ....."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 16 2004 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome, hatcreekgirl! You're not crashing the party -- the doors are wide open. They let me in not long ago, and I'm delighted to see that another person from the central Susquehanna Valley has joined up. Did you go to Shikellamy High School? (I went to the much more boringly named West Snyder, now part of Midd-West.) A tremendous amount of work has gone into the website you provided the link to. As for Shikellamy's origins, I had two sources: In Indians of Pennsylvania, Paul A.W. Wallace says that Shikellamy was "an Oneida chief who, according to the naturalist John Bartram, who met him in 1743, was 'a Frenchman born at Montreal, and adopted by the Oneidas after being taken prisoner.'" An article in the 1999 Snyder County Historical Society Bulletin by Malcolm Brown entitled "Native Americans Indigenous to Snyder County, Pennsylvania and the Surrounding Region" says the same thing, without citing any specific source. Whether those two authors are correct, I don't know.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Rev War Excitement in Petersburg Topic Next Topic: FYI -- Quebec City, QC  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07