The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/2/2024 1:35:59 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 I need help... [w/ Indian persona!]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Rev War Excitement in Petersburg Topic Next Topic: FYI -- Quebec City, QC
Page: of 2

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 07 2004

Posted - February 07 2004 :  8:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on ther verge of changing my persona from a longhunter to that of an Iroquois warrior. I plan on shaving my head and wearing a hairpiece. I have some questions: How well does spirit gum hold a hair piece to the scalp? By the way, How many Indian reenactors in LOTM wore hairpieces?

Also, what can I do to make my skin darker, besides sun tans and heat lamps? I'm really fascinated by the make-up techniques used in LOTM.

I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
report to moderator

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - February 09 2004 :  4:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
some on nativelist use the 'lee press-on scalplock' approach and have fair results, even in the post battle swim... as for skin color, easterners werent too dark to begin with, and if you have a complexion not unlike the michelin man, a bit of red ochre answers quite well...
dig through the archives on nativelist [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NativeList] - in the last week there was a discussion on pretend scalplocks...

what area are you from?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - February 09 2004 :  9:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the site. I'm from Yakima, Washington.

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - February 13 2004 :  12:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
bit on the distant side - i'm pretty much in daytrip distance to lake george^H^H^H^Hlac du st sacrement... fort #4 in charlston nh is 2 highway exits off... big differences from northwest coast culture to eastern woodlands... although
the terrain and food was'nt too different...
more later...

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - February 13 2004 :  2:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I envy you Alikws, being so close to Lake George. You're right
about the terrain being similar. I am fortunate that I live in Central Washington where we have varied types of terrain. I
live very close to the Cascades. Some of those mountain meadows look very similar to the "massacre scene" in LOTM.

In September, the Northwest Colonial Reenactors Assoc. has a tactical on Martin's Island on the Columbia River. We canoe in and battle the King's forces and his Indian allies. What great fun. Being an Oneida, I fight for the continentals. The island is uninhabited and has some great terrain.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 13 2004 :  2:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oneida, you are making me homesick!

I was raised in Oregon, in the beautiful Willamette Valley, which lies between the Cascade range and the Coast range (as you probably know). I am very familiar with Washington state, as well, and I know exactly what you are talking about.

I love the beauty and the history of New York state and much of my heritage is here, but sometimes I really miss those mountains that are "real" mountains!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 13 2004 :  10:40:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bezahn Oneida,

Don't worry about skin color. My 4x great grandfather was chief of the Oneidas in the late 1700's and early 1800's. He was total white. He was captured by the Seneca in 1781 and was given to the Oneida to raise.
He became the only white chief that they have ever had.
He plucked all of his facial hair and the top of his head as well. He left a scalplock hanging down the back of his head.
His wife, my 4x great grandmother was full blood Seneca.
A lot of captured white boys became warriors. We were very light-skinned anyway. Don't worry about Hollywood, they trash history and reality. All Iroquois did not dress the same, so look up old paintings of the Six Nations, and decide which one you want to be.

Kongo-neeleemah,

Ken Lonewolf/ Shawnee-Seneca-Oneida

Ken Lonewolf

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 15 2004 :  3:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf
My 4x great grandfather was chief of the Oneidas in the late 1700's and early 1800's. He was total white. He was captured by the Seneca in 1781 and was given to the Oneida to raise.

Lonewolf,
What was his name, both his white name and his Oneida name, and where was he captured from?

A few years back, I had the pleasure of hearing a talk given by a man who is a direct descendant of Mary Jemison, whose Seneca name was Dehgewanus (White Woman of the Genesee). It was fascinating.
www.letchworthparkhistory.com/jem.html

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - February 15 2004 :  4:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you Lonewolf for your post. That's really cool about your great-great-great-great grandfather.
I chose to use the stick on scalp lock because I'm bald in the wrong place to grow a natural one. I have gone on-line to the Oneida website and received some good historical knowledge. I'm fascinated by these people and their culture.

Wilderness Woman, I do for a fact know what you're talking about. I love Oregon. What a gorgeous state.

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - February 15 2004 :  9:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You might wanna read some books on the subject of native life. I recomend Scouwa, it's an excelent book to start. Tells the story of a captured colonialist, who is taken into live with natives.

I usually use a silk head rag with a broach, that has hair, feathers, and a hair . It attaches directly to my hair.

I atten a failry conservative boarding highschool that doesn't allow shaving heads. So untill i'm out of here i can't shave my head

As for skin color, it doesn't really matter, You could be a captive taken into the tribe, so ur skin would be white. Make sure u use face paint to cover ur face though. I also recomend a shirt, if ur not to pale.

I've also read about natives around minnesota that were pale skinned and blue eyed blondes. This was said to be becuase of the vikings settleing in that area. Don't quote me on that cuase i'm not to sure about how accurate that is.

Hope i helped,

-Ousiaw kitehi (mark)

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - February 16 2004 :  4:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Young Native, you certainly have helped. Where would be a good place to buy the book? Who is the author?

Oneida

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - February 16 2004 :  4:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
By the way, I have a question regarding face and body paint. I know the Iroquois were fond of black for face paint. What were typical designs? I've heard three black stripes on each side of the face, representing the six tribes of the confederacy. What about solid colors of the face (solid black etc.), like my avatar?

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 17 2004 :  12:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Oneida,
Black all over the body was cut-ta-ho-ta. The warrior who painted himseld solid black was not going to back down in battle, but would die fighting. At least this was Shawnee pectise. Death before dishonor!

Ken Lonewolf

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - February 17 2004 :  01:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wilderness Woman,
My 4x great grandfather's white name was John Peter Klingensmith. He was captured by the Seneca at Ft. Klingensmith (now Jeanette, Penna) in 1781. He was eight years old. His parents and an infant were killed in the raid. A brother Casper (11 years old) was taken as well, but escaped the first night. Other siblings were not captured. He was given to the Oneida to raise and became the only white chief that the Oneida have ever had. They called him "White Peter" and "Good Peter". I don't know his name in the Iroquois language. His wife, my 4x great grandmother was Seneca, and went by the name Molly. There again, I don't know what her indian name was. He fought in the War of 1812 with Canada and the British. His portrait was done in oils, in 1792, by Col. John Trumbull, a Revolutionary War artist. White Peter's portrait is now in the Trumbull Gallery at Yale University. I have obtained a copy of it. After the War of 1812, he came back to the area where he was captured and lived for about a year with family members. He and his Seneca wife tried their hand at farming. His Klingensmith family members wanted him to rid himself of his Seneca wife, since she belonged to the nation that killed his parents. He refused to divorce his wife, and finally moved back to Ontario, Canada, where they both lived to very old age. They are buried in Ontario. They had several children during their lifetime.
I attended a Klingensmith reunion about one mile from the Bushy Run Battlefield, last summer. Several of us at the reunion were mixed bloods. About four were direct descendents of White Peter. They requested that I wear my Shawnee regalia. The old Forbes Road runs next to the reunion pavillion. Hannastown is right up the road, as well. One of the Klingensmith log cabins is now at the restored fort and village.
I am in contact with the descendents of White Peter (of course I am one) and Casper, who escaped. Casper is buried with two of his daughters about eight miles from where I was born.
Most of the white settlers that we fought so long ago are now all my family. The circle is complete. The Creator works in ways that we can't possibly understand.
Indians belief in the power of the circle. Life is a circle from birth to death to rebirth with the Creator. The sun, the moon and stars all circles. The seasons are a never-ending circle. The wind in it's greatest power, moves in circles. Water swirls in circles. The birds make their nests in circles, for the Creator taught them to do this. The birds carry our prayers higher up to the Creator. To honor the birds for this gift, we wear their feathers, the highest of honors. We give feathers for great deeds.
We dance in circles to honor the Creator. All things that form circles on our regalia honor the Creator.

Ken Lonewolf

Ken Lonewolf

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 17 2004 :  08:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lonewolf,
I have heard of and read a bit about Good Peter. What a fascinating story! Thank you for telling me more.

I am interested in the Mohawk and the Oneida people because of my ancestral "connections" to them. My German Palatine ancestors settled the Mohawk Valley, near present day St. Johnsville and Little Falls, in about 1725. They were friends with the Mohawk and knew King Hendrick, Sir William, and the Brants. Our family has a deed to some land that was presented by the Mohawk to Anna Margareitta Zimmerman (my ancestor), about 1750, for her love and friendship to the people. Family legend says that she was a Mohawk "princess", who married my 6th great-grandfather Jacob Zimmerman, but no one has been able to verify this as truth.

This all changed, of course, when the Mohawk sided with the British during the Revolutionary War. However, these same families of mine fought side-by-side with the Oneida at the Battle of Oriskany. As you know, the Oneida were the first American allies in war.

It sounds as though perhaps the Klingensmith family was also a German Palatine family?

Well, I will stop talking genealogy on a Muster forum. Sorry! I get carried away because it is such wonderful stuff.

Oneida
Pathfinder

Huron 3
USA

February 07 2004

Posted - February 17 2004 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is wonderful stuff, keep it coming!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  06:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Well, I will stop talking genealogy on a Muster forum.

Why would you think that genealogy wouldn't belong in a forum for reenactors like "The Muster"? Genealogy is as much a part of Living History as any other form of research, and for first-person impressions of historical personas it is critical. Besides, it also interests me, so I guess you can say I have a bias...

Your most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh! Well, OK. You do have a point, Sgt Munro. I'm just always a little concerned about "invading" you re-enactors' territory. Thanks!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For those who are interested, here is a link to a good webpage that gives a lot of information about the Oneida and the Battle of Oriskany.

Remember... the battle is significant for another reason, besides marking the first war allegiance between the new country of the United States and another nation. (Yes, the Oneidas were first. France was second.) It also marks the first time that members of the Iroquois Confederacy fought against each other in about 400 years. And with that action, the great 6 nation Confederacy was broken. "The Broken Chain."

Read about it here.

Lonewolf, look carefully and you will see a mention of Good Peter!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  6:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Oh! Well, OK. You do have a point, Sgt Munro. I'm just always a little concerned about "invading" you re-enactors' territory. Thanks!

Wilderness Woman, how could you possibly "invade" the area in which you belong. Folks like you and I all share a passionate love of history, and especially reading of the individual lives of those who were here before us. Heck, the only difference between you and I, is that I occasionally dress in funny clothes and 'ham it up' in front of an audience (Just ask Seamus, he has seen me in action).

P.S.- I checked out the link you provided to the Oneida-Nation Website. It is packed with good stuff, and warrants several visits (I just have to have my legal tablet and pen ready for notes). Thanks again.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 18 2004 :  6:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aye, Duncan, that I have! We sure have a ball at it, don't we?? Sometimes I wonder just what goes through Joe or Julie Public's mind when they witness some of it......

WW, you certainly do belong here....now sit down and pay attention.....chime in whenever you feel the urge, and have some fun! If you will come to Old Mill Village when we are there in August, I will see to it that you have a first row seat.

Get 'er a tankard, Duncan!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 18 2004 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[WW folds her hands meekly in front of her and with quiet voice says]

Alright. I'm sitting and I'm paying attention. Thank you to you both, Sargent Munro and Captain Slease. You are not only officers, you are also gentlemen.

That is a good website, isn't it? And you are right, Sgt. I do love that era of our history and the people who lived it. And would that I could also dress in "funny clothes" (ladies' clothes, not a kilt!), although I wouldn't care to do the hamming-it-up-in-front-of-the-public part.

Seamus, what goes through this Julie Public's mind is stated in my signature below:

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 20 2004 :  12:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My Cousin Seamus & Wilderness Woman,
If I can get the time off from the job in August, I'll make the trek up to Old Mill Village. Lady Munro jumps at any chance to see her 'Guardian of the Pennsylvania Wilderness'; and Wilderness Woman, I shall bring you that tankard in person.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 20 2004 :  06:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't know if OMV can take us both at once, Duncan, might test their tolerances a bit! Give the lovely Lady Munro my very best hug.......until I see her! Yer a lucky lad, Duncan......ye've got a real keeper there! Of course, ye've known that all along.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 20 2004 :  06:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, Oneida......we've allowed your thread to drift off topic with all this flirting and so on.

Let's get it back on track, gang.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - March 21 2004 :  11:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Oneida,

I've been meaning to reply to this post for some time now...apologies for the delay. Anyway, the name "Scoouwa" (two oo's) rang a bell, but I had to track down where I read about him. He was James Smith, and when he was 18 and helping to build Braddock's Road, he was captured by Indians, taken to Fort Duquesne, and eventually spent five years living with the Caughnawagas (Mohawks allied to the French), mostly in Ohio. "Scoouwa: James Smith's Indian Captivity Narrative" is the narrative that he wrote; Amazon.com lists it as out of print, but they have some copies. I haven't read the entire narrative, only an excerpt from it that's included in "Captured by the Indians: 15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870," edited by Frederick Drimmer and published by Dover. You might think that the period of Indian captivity would have to have been the most interesting part of James Smith's life, but that's debatable -- here's one site that tells about the rest of his life: http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/history/histjamsm.html

As for whites who became Indian, don't forget Shikellamy (various spellings, also "Swatana"), the Oneida Indian who was resident at Shamokin, here in Pa., having been sent by the Iroquois to oversee affairs in that area of the Commonwealth, and Conrad Weiser's partner in peacekeeping and diplomacy. He was born in Montreal and taken captive by the Oneidas while young.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Rev War Excitement in Petersburg Topic Next Topic: FYI -- Quebec City, QC  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07