The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/30/2024 1:27:56 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 choosing a Brown Bess
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Bushy Run 241st  -  Post Battle Assesment Topic Next Topic: Battle of Bushy Run Reenactment   7-8 August 2004
Page: of 3

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 11 2002

Posted - August 04 2004 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WHOOPS....gotta see who posts what on this thing.....I was browsing through these messages under cousin Many Flag's moniker.....I'll use me own next time......Malcolm, Sarge
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 04 2004 :  8:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
one might have to resort to a brass or bronze scraper

I use one of these every time I clean my gun, whether a smoothbore or a rifle. Also a copper brush.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2004 :  8:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Gus Fisher said: Sergeant Munro might remember me as one of two guests from the Major's Coy, 42nd RHR as his unit so kindly allowed us to participate with the Captain's Coy at the Under the Red Coat Event at Williamsburg a couple/three of years ago.

Hi Gus,

As Malcolm said, 'twas he, not I, who was at 'Redcoat'. I thought for a second, "Hmmmm... Another Sergeant Munro of the 42nd RHR? A RevWar one? This is too cool, I've got to find this cat." I also do RevWar, but I am a private with Timpany's Coy. of the 4th Bn. New Jersey Volunteers (It's the green coat, I just gotta be different). Either way, it is good meeting you, albeit electronically.

In reference to your question, my Pederisoli is about six years old, and it does not have a breech plug. I use a brass scraper, and steaming hot three-hour old coffee. I find that it gets stuff out that I didn't know was in there. Then again, it could be in the coffee itself...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Gus Fisher
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

August 04 2004

Posted - August 04 2004 :  9:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My apologies to Sergeants Munro and MacWilliams,

Perhaps you will excuse me as it seems I have Half Zheimer's and working on Three Quarter Zheimers. Not long after I posted that, I went DUH!, but of course it was too late.

I tried to go to Williamsburg this year, but I had some difficulties with the Malaria or whatever I picked up in Somalia. At least it isn't communicable and they got a little different balance on my meds that seem to be working better.

Kudo's to Sergeant Munro and Fitz Williams and all those who use a scraper most every time they clean their muskets. However, there seems to be at least some, if not many people who don't know about using them and may I suggest it is something we all pass along to others, especially the new folks?

Yr Hbl & Obt Svt,
Gus Fisher

It's great to wear a Philabeg, carry a flint musket and STILL be able to shoot at Yankee's. Just kidding.......

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 04 2004 :  11:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And speaking of Besses, at this summer's Gathering, Eric Hurley, aka Soldier #2, had the Bess he used in LOTM. It is a Jap Bess marked with "Navy Arms". He fired it a few times at the Mohican Games on Saturday.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2004 :  11:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Gus Fisher said: I tried to go to Williamsburg this year, but I had some difficulties with the Malaria or whatever I picked up in Somalia. At least it isn't communicable and they got a little different balance on my meds that seem to be working better.

You know, Gus, it sounds like a dose of what I had from the Gulf War (Malaria-like symptoms). Unofficially, the flight surgeon told me that it was related to the combination of Cholera and Yellow Fever Vaccines. At least that was the therory in 1991...

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2004 :  04:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Also noted: Kudo's to Sergeant Munro and Fitz Williams and all those who use a scraper most every time they clean their muskets. However, there seems to be at least some, if not many people who don't know about using them and may I suggest it is something we all pass along to others, especially the new folks?

Well, I do my part with the lads in Graham's Coy. On the subject of small arms PM, I always say, "If you fail her, she will most certainly fail you!"

-Or-

Gus Fisher
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

August 04 2004

Posted - August 05 2004 :  10:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sergeant Munro,

I'm sure you do your part for your company, didn't mean to imply otherwise and sorry if it seemed that way.

I just see so many folks who don't seem to have a good bit of knowledge about musket maintenance and their "broken" muskets are often the result of just lack of good maintenance.

I never heard the explanation you mentioned for the symptoms. I appreciate it. I'm just thankful it wasn't something worse from the years between Cambodia and Somalia and a few beyond that.

It's great to wear a Philabeg, carry a flint musket and STILL be able to shoot at Yankee's. Just kidding.......

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2004 :  4:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Gus Fisher said: I'm sure you do your part for your company, didn't mean to imply otherwise and sorry if it seemed that way.

Heck Gus, I didn't take it that way. I knew what you meant, and I agree with you 100%, it is critical to teach proper maintenence on these weapons. Not just because of the monetary investment (Somewhat substancial on custom pieces), but also for safety reasons.

Have you ever given thought to doing F&IW reencting? It is not much of a jump from RevWar. There are two good F&IW highlander groups near you (That is of course, if you want to keep doing a highlander impression), the closest is Malcolm's 'Muskets of the Crown' and of course my group 'The Blockhouse Muskets' (Named in honor of the Fort Pitt Blockhouse, still standing today at Point State Park). As Malcolm noted, his does the Grenadier Company of the 77th Highland Regiment and my group does Captain Graham's Company of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment (Which was at Fort Pitt 1763-1767). Just something to think about, we'll both be at Bushy Run this weekend for the 241st Anniversary Battle Reenactment.

quote:
Also noted: I never heard the explanation you mentioned for the symptoms. I appreciate it. I'm just thankful it wasn't something worse from the years between Cambodia and Somalia and a few beyond that.

I am thankful that the FS 'unoffically' explained that to me. Subsequent trips to the VA gave me no answers, but at least the symptoms subsided somewhat with time. If you want to talk, send me a Private Message, and I'll go into more detail (As I said before, I won't be home this weekend, but I will answer you when I get back). These good folks don't need to hear about the battle ailments of a couple of old warriors like us, and besides it helps to talk privately with someone who has been there.

-Or-

Movielegends
Lost in the Wilderness

Dream Catcher 3
USA

August 15 2002

Posted - August 11 2004 :  8:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
CABELA'S Sporting Goods has the 2nd Model PEDERSOLI Brown Bess on sale for $749.00 - www.cabelas.com, search "Brown Bess". Pedersoli is about the best you can buy - and this is a great price!

KWC
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Bushy Run 241st  -  Post Battle Assesment Topic Next Topic: Battle of Bushy Run Reenactment   7-8 August 2004  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07