The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/30/2024 7:13:30 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Bushy Run 241st - Post Battle Assesment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Siege 1759 Event at Fort Meigs Topic Next Topic: choosing a Brown Bess  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2004 :  09:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An unusually mild and pleasant weekend greeted all who attended this year's Bushy Run Battle Reenactment. Arriving as part of my company's advance guard, I helped to set-up our company street next to the Grenadier Company of the 77th Regiment. After the tents were erected, and non-period vehicles stowed, I then joined First Sergeant MacWilliam for a wee bit of Port and a pipe of tobacco.

The next day's battles went very smoothly, and the crowd turn-out was somewhat better than last years (Owing to the pleasant weather, no doubt). My company spent the afternoon performing guard duty and fielding questions from a very inquisitive public (and actually good questions too). After dinner, the Captain marched us up to the suspected location of the soldier's graves, where we rendered military honors and a proper highland toast. Saturday evening was spent around the campfire, enjoying the camraderie and singing. Our singing drew the attention of none other than Kent Courtney (Historian and Muscian/Singer of folk music). Mr. Courtney was one of the suttlers at the event, and he wandered up to the British Camp to investigate a report of Highlanders singing. Once there, he spent the rest of the evening joining us in renditions of 'MacPherson's Lament', 'The Girl I Left Behind Me', 'Nelson's Blood', 'British Grenadiers', 'Bonnie Dundee', 'Land O' MacLeod', 'Man O' War' (all 50 known verses, of course), among many others. I think that it was sometime after midnight, when we finally turned in.

Sunday's battles went as smoothly as the day before. On the march back from the morning engagement, I led my company in singing 'Twa Recruitin Sergeants' as a way of getting the lads "pumped-up" for the afternoon battle. The saddest part of Sunday was, of course, saying good-bye to all at the end of the day. But, promises of gathering again in two month's time at Loyalhanna made the parting a wee bit easier...

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2004 :  10:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Arriving as part of my company's advance guard, I helped to set-up our company street next to the Grenadier Company of the 77th Regiment.

So Sgt. Munro,...does that mean you were involved in the "castramentation"? Now see, if I use that word two more times it will be mine!

I am quite jealous of you too, that you were able to share a libatious discourse with our First Sergeant MacWilliam. So glad to have him back writing tales. We missed him terribly! With good weather and good company, it must have been a great weekend!

GG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2004 :  10:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You betcha' GG, and what a lovely and efficent castramentation it was... Uh-oh, that don't sound too good. I agree, it is good to have both Malcolm and Many Flags putting their quill to work, as I had told him Friday. He promises more tales, as well as his own after action report of the reenactment. Now, if we could only get Seamus to spin us a tale or two...

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 12 2004 :  10:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S.- I also forgot to mention that First Sergeant MacWilliam delivered a very inspiring and uplifting Divine Service on Sunday morning. Exactly what was needed for the King's Men to do their duty to the upmost... Huzzah!!!!

-Or-

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 13 2004 :  05:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
CastraMEtation, Lad, castrametation......no 'n'...

Do you have the book, "An Essay on Castrametation" by Lewis Lochee, Master of the Military Academy, Little Chelsea, MDCCLXXVIII? If not, it is quite useful.

Once I get past the hectic Campaign Season, I will likely be spinning a tale or two. Right now, I am not able to do it justice! Command is extremely time-consuming.

Will you be at Ligonier in October?

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2004 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Seamus said: CastraMEtation, Lad, castrametation......no 'n'...

You're right, Seamus. Sorry, my bad...

quote:
Seamus asked: Do you have the book, "An Essay on Castrametation" by Lewis Lochee, Master of the Military Academy, Little Chelsea, MDCCLXXVIII? If not, it is quite useful.

I'll have to look for a repro, through King's Arms. I have been using excerpts from Cuthbertson's and Simmes, for laying out a company street.

quote:
Also asked: Will you be at Ligonier in October?

Captain Graham, Ensign MacMillan, and the rest of the boys will be there the whole weekend. I will only be attending Saturday (Until late), because of home duties. Either way, I shall bring some more of that good Port, which Malcolm and I shared at Bushy Run...

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 13 2004 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S.- The Port is a brand called 'Novo', and it has been in existence since 1715 (The bottles are still embossed with that date).

-Or-

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - August 13 2004 :  5:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah, yessssssssssss.....................I know it well! It IS a good port, for sure! I will be honored to share it with you, Duncan. I will likely have some good port along, myself! AND...you shall share it, too!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 14 2004 :  02:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do look forward to the 'post-battle' libations, my friend...

-Or-
  Previous Topic: Siege 1759 Event at Fort Meigs Topic Next Topic: choosing a Brown Bess  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07