The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 11:32:26 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Why did Alice really jump?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: fanfiction password Topic Next Topic: The ONE True Hero ...
Page: of 8

Lady of Glencairn
Colonial Settler

Prison Break - Sara Tancredi
South Africa

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 29 2004

Posted - December 23 2004 :  1:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lady of Glencairn's Homepage  Click to see Lady of Glencairn's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, all I can say is that if I were in that time, and I was Alice, and that hunk of Uncas flesh died saving me, I would throw myself after him and hope for a reunion in the afterlife!

Lady of Glencairn
"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence" - H.L. Mencken
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

UncasLover13
Colonial Settler

USA

May 17 2004

Posted - December 23 2004 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I FEEL TOTALLY THE SAME WAY!
--UL13

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - January 30 2005 :  11:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read some funny answers here such as, bad hair day. Good One!!
In my opinion, she jumped cause she was afraid of what Magua would have done to her. She seemed to be a very fragile/innocent girl, and who knows what was going through her head while Magua was killing Uncas. Once Magua killed him, she probably thought she had no hope of being rescued. Maybe, she thought they all were going to rape her and then kill her.
I've only seen the DVD and TV version, and in it there is no love scene between Alice and Uncas. So I can't say that she loved him, cause I didn't see her show any affection toward him throughout the entire movie. I only saw Uncas showing the love he shared for Alice. I read in another web site that her mom was throughout the entire filming of LOTM, to make sure that no love scene happened between them. Ouch!! What a shame cause the man is a Stud!!

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Lurking Huron6304
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - January 31 2005 :  12:04:52 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dependant Young Miss
Father dies
Sister is "gone"
Alone, fragile & hopeless
Overwhelmed and stunned by any reason of all events
Jump

Lurking Huron9977
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - April 24 2005 :  11:19:40 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I absolutely adore the romantic notion that she jumped because she loved Uncas. And I really think it was. Yes, she was probably deathly petrified of Magua too, but in the movie, doesn't Chingachgook show up and scream, before she jumps? He does, right? She would have seen him, or at least heard it, and known that help was on the way. I understand she could have been too confused and terrified to understand it, but I also like to think that she couldn't live without Uncas.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - April 25 2005 :  08:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She jumped because Magua scared the living hell out of her, - and it looked easier than having her throat slit too.

you can keep "The Change"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - April 25 2005 :  2:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted she 'd him. Although I don't think it was anything like 'love at first sight'. I don't even think she really noticed Uncas until the 1st waterfall scene where he stares her down. Then at the burial mound when he protected her she still portrayed signs of withdrawal. At the second waterfall scene when he pulls her back she seems to abandon some of her withdrawals and allows Uncas to hold her. In the end I believe Uncas realized that he was injured too badly to defeat Magua. He stares at Alice one last time and she returns his longing gaze. That look was saying goodbye and they both knew it. By this point I think Alice felt something much deeper than friendship. Possibly that she loved him but wasn't "in love". Keep in mind too that in the 1750's it wasn't acceptable for proper young ladies to mix and mingle with the natives. The whole racial intregation thing was socially forbidden. So she would have good reasons for her hesitation.

eilan
Pathfinder

March 16 2005

Posted - May 09 2005 :  2:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have no doubt about it: Alice jumped because she loved Uncas! It seems clear when she looks down at him before she jumps and when you see she lies at his side after jump off the cliff....

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 10 2005 :  3:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I still want to know why she didn't oust the guard and shoot Magua in the back and save our beloved UNCAS!

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Alice - with a gun??? No way! Alice was obviously more comfortable with the "civilized" lifestyle of Boston & London, than she was with hacking it out in the wilderness. She was accustomed to fine clothes, soft living & drinking tea in the afternoons. I doubt very seriously if she had any idea of how to use a gun of any kind. The idea of having her overpower a guard, grab his gun & try to shoot Magua would have been totally out of character (and not very believable, either).

Besides, those long rifles were heavy & I don't believe Alice had the necessary physical strength to lift one to her shoulder. Even if she did manage to get her hands on one of them & got off a shot somehow, the "kick" from the weapon would have sent her flying over the cliff, anyway - so her fate would have been the same.

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You got it! That wallflower isn't about to over-power anything but a cup of tea, and only then if it's not too hot. Otherwise the tea wins too!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 12 2005 :  2:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't agree. I have learned that woman are no where near as weak as they are assumed to be.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 12 2005 :  3:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The thread is about Alice, - who is portrayed as a "nice" but weak individual. She was hanging onto her sister with both hands during earlier scenes, after she fell off a horse at one point. It would be a "tad out of character" for her to all of a sudden overcome Magua and company while doing a balancing act on top of a cliff.

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - May 12 2005 :  6:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree with MG that it would have been out of character for Alice to suddenly pull tricks from Charles Bronson's bag on the cliff. I don't think I'd necessarily characterize her as "weak but 'nice'" -- her character in the movie doesn't enjoy enough of an expose to paint her as either, IMO. (Not that I think she is MEAN, etc. etc. etc.) I think better adjectives include distraught, confused, traumatized and out of her element.

Then again, maybe Alice was the scrappiest girl in the finishing school yard back in England! (But I doubt it! )

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

Lurking Huron8408
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 13 2005 :  10:59:13 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think she jumped because she truly loved him and he loved her. When he died trying to rescue her at the end , she didn't want to go on without him, so she jumped.

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - June 06 2005 :  11:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe her love for Uncas played a major roll in her decision to jump but I also believe she was being a little rebelious towards Magua as well. Having the choice of going home with Magua or jumping, I believe I favor the latter.

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

jlee
Pathfinder

USA

July 14 2004

Posted - June 07 2005 :  11:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jlee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, i would say it was her love for uncas, becasue Magua did hold out his hand to her right before she jumped, which, i htink she would have taken if she was only afraid of not be rescued, but she looked down fearlessly and jumped, thats gotta mean something.

It has come to us at last.

Kathy S
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

June 26 2002

Posted - June 09 2005 :  04:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She may have "loved Uncas", but I believe Alice jumped because she thought she was going to die anyway, and decided to choose the method. Uncas was gone, so one of her protectors was dead, and she had no idea where the others were. I think she'd just had enough of the "adventure" she had been so eager to recount on her return to England. She finally realized she was never going home, and was all alone.

Kathy

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 10 2005 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Then again, maybe Alice was the scrappiest girl in the finishing school yard back in England! (But I doubt it! )

That'a my theory! You gotta go down fighting!

Kasia
Lost in the Wilderness

Poland

May 15 2005

Posted - June 11 2005 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Alice loved Uncas and I have read interview with Eric Schweig in which he said that they had a love scene under the falls but director didn't use it. Their love scene is also in script.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - June 15 2005 :  2:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kasia

I think Alice loved Uncas and I have read interview with Eric Schweig in which he said that they had a love scene under the falls but director didn't use it. Their love scene is also in script.

Why do they always take the fun out of it for us fans?

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - June 18 2005 :  12:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They take the fun out because they can! Make us want the movie that much more!

cuthron
Pathfinder

Huron
Finland

July 27 2005

Posted - July 28 2005 :  1:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you think about the script where is love scene under the waterwall AND if you think about the book, where cora and uncas loved each other and died partly because that. then you can imagine that Alice and uUncas loved each other too and Alice jumped because Uncas was death too.

Harri

Lurking Huron8023
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - August 25 2005 :  12:44:13 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think she did it because 1 she love him and 2 to show magua she was ultimatly in control of the situation

JonnyBoy
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

September 03 2005

Posted - September 03 2005 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I'd say that it was a little bit of everything

I agree. However, if they (Nathaniel and Pappy)were to have killed Magua and the rest of the Hurons right before Magua would've killed Alice, but Uncas was still dead. She would not have jumped. So, you can pretty much rule out that kind of love right of the bat. She still had her sister, right? On the other hand. If Uncas had not died yet, and say Magua was going to kill her before Uncas could get there. I do not think that she would've jumped. She would've fought back or something. So, it could'nt have been just because of fear either. The whole situation was hopeless for her from her stand point, even if she did hear Chingachgook yell.

So, I think you have to say that they at least had some sort of significant feelings for each other. It's kind of hard to tell, when there isn't a single bit of dialouge between them throughout the whole movie! I know some of you think that it's brilliant somehow, but I would've like to of heard at least some of their conversations.
Page: of 8 Previous Topic: fanfiction password Topic Next Topic: The ONE True Hero ...  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.48 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07