Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/9/2024 11:30:02 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Shouldn't Custer be on a US Stamp??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: LSH Topic Next Topic: The Fire of 1983
Page: of 2

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - August 30 2004 :  4:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Moving
We had a few on the other side as well.Was in Fredericksburg last year.Stood at the wall on Marye's Heights where Meaghers Irish Brigade was slaughtered.But the heart is with the deathless army of Nothern Virginia.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - August 30 2004 :  9:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wILD I

Thanks for that Moving
We had a few on the other side as well.Was in Fredericksburg last year.Stood at the wall on Marye's Heights where Meaghers Irish Brigade was slaughtered.But the heart is with the deathless army of Nothern Virginia.

So where do you think GAC found "Garry Owen?" Did he hear it from one of the Irish Brigades during the ACW--or was he introduced to it by Keogh--as the legend goes?

Regards (and I am originally from the victorious North)--

movingrobe

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - August 31 2004 :  06:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DC:
Not the forum (unfortunately) for us to debate the merits of singers on US stamps, so I'll not do that any more. But will add that the "policy" of the USPS was one of the main reasons I gave up collecting some years ago, and donated my entire collection to the APS.
And back to the thread--that policy is probably why we'll never see Custer on a stamp.

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - August 31 2004 :  07:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the USPS Citizen Stamp Advisory Committee web site, here are the criteria for collector's stamps (near the bottom of the page).

http://www.usps.com/communications/organization/csac.htm

Best of wishes,

Billy

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - August 31 2004 :  09:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Moving,
I don't have any info on the origins Garry Owen other than what is available on Google.As to wheather Keogh introduced it to the 7th,perhaps.It seems to have been the marching tune of a Brit regiment stationed in Ireland and as Keogh is said to have had no great love for the ancient enemy I think that it is doubtful that it came from him.
Garry Owen is also a term used here in rugby.It is a very high kick delivered into the oppositions half of the field with the entire team following up in rampant pursuit
Orchard house in Carlow where Keogh was born is still there and is a triving farm.
Regards

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 01 2004 :  06:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy:
Thanks for the link. Same folks I wrote to several years ago. Have a look at their "backgrounds" and qualifications--.
Can you see THAT group ever authorizing a Custer stamp?????

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 01 2004 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting post. What is wrong with their backgrounds? Nine old white men. Three white women. One black woman. One black man. One possibly Hispanic woman.

What bothers you? No visible pseudo-military nut in period costume? Custer doesn't get enough coverage with, what, four books a month about him or the battle? Further, it's an advisory council to be ignored or not. Historians, accomplished folk in their fields. Suspicion they're all lefties and therefore would hate Custer? That doesn't follow. For all you know, they're all veterans and would be appreciative of his record.

Come to grips with the possibility that most people simply might not think Custer or Kate Smith deserve a stamp. It wouldn't offend me if she had one, or he did. I'd like to see more and different folks on the stamps then Presidents, who are already on our money. But posted mail is way yesterday, and dropping in popularity and usefulness. Might not be a productive line of effort.

While we're at it, I'd also like to see Columbus Day go, and have that holiday celebrate a different immigrant group each year. I admire Columbus, but the holiday was a ploy by the US Mafia to hide behind famous alleged Italians for publicity benefit, although Columbus had to go to Spain and his achievements have nothing to do with Italy.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 02 2004 :  05:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just another bunch of academics---. Looks like a faculty photo from Columbia.
As for honoring other immigrants--. How about a Trumpeter Martini day??

Edited by - Brent on September 02 2004 07:37:56 AM

Smcf
Captain

Posted - September 02 2004 :  06:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the subject of the Garryowen marching tune, WildI points out that its a term used in rugby, basically a punt up field followed by a full-scale charge. The term derives from the Garryowen rugby club in Limerick (founded in 1884 as I see from its website) which used this tactic a lot. In rugby, the idea is to maintain possession of the ball while you attack up field. By kicking it away and charging after it, you stand to gain a lot of territory if you can get to the ball before the opposition, but its a high risk strategy as the odds are in favour of the opposing team - much like the NFL "Hail Mary" tactic. Suits Custer down to the ground.

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - September 02 2004 :  08:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the US army signals corps[if there is such a thing]Could have Martini's name inscribed on their collar badges.

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 02 2004 :  5:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wILD I

Hi Moving,
I don't have any info on the origins Garry Owen other than what is available on Google.As to wheather Keogh introduced it to the 7th,perhaps.It seems to have been the marching tune of a Brit regiment stationed in Ireland and as Keogh is said to have had no great love for the ancient enemy.
Regards

In such a romantic place you do live. Considering "Garry Owen" was adopted by Custer well before the 1880's, I am going to cringe if the storyline in "They Died With Their Boots On" is near correct ... where Custer learns the song whilst on leave to Monroe, sung and played by "Queen's Own Butler," but in our circumstance, it would be WW Cooke. Damn--how in the heck could he play that piano without tripping over the Dundrearies?

My vote, then, would be that Autie-of-our-hallowed-legacy heard the song from one of the Irish brigades during the ACW--perhaps from one of the Virginia ones either just before or just after Appomatox, OR from one of Union Irish units during the Grand Review.

BTW, did any Irish units serve in the Third Cavalry Division? Mebbe the answer is easier than I think.

Coming back to the subject of USPS stamps--perhaps the Post Office, in its infinite wisdom, and not at all subject to Bush politicos, could issue sets of military stamps in honour of various contributors among the "Alliance of the Willing" to "Operation Iraqi Freedom?" Then there could be a stamp featuring the 7th Cavalry, featuring its drawn sabre and slogan, "Garry Owen." That MIGHT get past PC nuts and at the same time to them in the know, do honour to its real molder, one George Armstrong Custer. But I'd probably avoid offering a stamp for the Phillipines or the Kingdom of Spain ...

Regards from across the pond, fellow Cleburne fan ...

movingrobe

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - September 08 2004 :  1:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, did any Irish units serve in the Third Cavalry Division? Mebbe the answer is easier than I think.

Hi Moving,
I have never come across an Irish cavalry unit in either army,which is kinda strange seeing as how Ireland is renowned for its horses.Perhaps the lack of horsemen is due to the fact that the Brits never allowed us to own horses.Ya know each rebellion failed because the Brits had all the horses.
However I did come across a confederate Irish unit who outpaced Union cavalry at Stone Mountain when Stonewall managed to get himself flanked.
Just thinking if Uncle Sam had done the same as the Brits and denied ownership of horses to the Indians perhaps the LBH would never have happened.

Heavyrunner
Captain

USA

Posted - September 08 2004 :  7:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is a Custer stamp, I'd like it to depict the look on his face when he saw some 3,000 pissed off Sioux and Cheyenne heading his way.

Bob Bostwick

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - September 11 2004 :  5:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That kind of stamp would have to have an over 18s rating

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 19 2004 :  9:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the tender age of 23, Custer was the youngest Major General in the history of the American Army. He fought gallantly and with distinction throughout his tenure. He ultimately lost his life following the orders of superior commanders of the very same U.S. Army. He does not have a stamp. The Humane Society-Neuter& Spade Your Pets-has a stamp. Gosh, I guess that makes me a "salivating Custer Nut."

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 19 2004 :  10:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joe--

Hate to be picky, picky, picky--but Custer became a Brigadier General at the age of 23. But for the rest of your post, uhh, does Bob Barker have more pull than a gang of Civil War/Custer buffs?

Guess so!

Regards,

movingrobe

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 20 2004 :  12:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lafayette was commissioned a Major General in the American Army by Congress at the age of 19. Custer was never our youngest general.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 21 2004 :  2:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something interesting. Just this morning I got my latest copy of Mystic Stamp News. Thumbing thru, what to my wandering eyes did appear but an 18 stamp set from Antigua and Barbuda, titled Civil War Generals and Presidents. And guess who's included??
RIGHT!!
George Armstrong Custer.
The pictures in the news were rather on the small side, but the photo of Custer on the stamp appears to be a good one. Also spotted Little Phil, Longstreet, Stonewall among others.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 27 2004 :  9:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent point Dark Cloud. Lafayette was a French mercenary commissioned by America due to his extensive martial abilities. He was not a citizen of the U. S. as was Custer. Of course, I should not have omitted that factor when I made my post. Since we were referring to U.S. postage stamps and possible U.S. recipients of post office acknowledgement, I did not consider foreign nationals.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 27 2004 :  9:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Movingrobewoman, you are not being picky. Apparently old Bob has a lot of pull. I have one of those stamps in my possession if you care to see it.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 27 2004 :  10:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wiggs,

Your wrote: "At the tender age of 23, Custer was the youngest Major General in the history of the American Army." That is untrue. No qualifying issue of stamp or citizenry in that sentence.

Lafayette's been on a stamp or two in any case. Nobody was a citizen of the US in 1776, but Congress' promotion of Lafayette for whatever reason was as valid as that of Washington's. You're simply wrong to claim Custer was the youngest Major General. Lafayette helped bring France in on our side, so he did accomplish something, anyway.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 28 2004 :  01:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brent

Here's something interesting. Just this morning I got my latest copy of Mystic Stamp News. Thumbing thru, what to my wandering eyes did appear but an 18 stamp set from Antigua and Barbuda, titled Civil War Generals and Presidents. And guess who's included??
RIGHT!!
George Armstrong Custer.

Interesting, interesting--but goodness, what about Curacao? Did the place get blown away by Jeanne or Frances or Karl? Is there a web addy for an "ABC" islands' postage stamp interpretation of the American Civil War??? I was only joking about a small island nation ... but how did one, given living on a poverty-stricken island, say Haiti, accept or disincline the goals of the American Civil War? What is/was the societal background for these stamps? Freedom? And did GA Custer fulfill any of these depictions--if not through words, then deeds?

Mebbe it was all voodoo ... but I am questioning, rather than placidly accepting ...

Regards, y'all--

movingrobe

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 28 2004 :  01:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cash is the reason. Rich Americans will buy anything. They had UFO stamps in the 70's in the Grenadines.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 28 2004 :  06:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Movingrobewoman:
Dark Cloud is right-cash!!
These sorts of stamps are virtually never used for postage--they are issued almost exclusively for collectors. The American Civil War is very popular. So too is Disney. And American Presidents. And American entertainers. The list goes on and on--
You should see what some of these countries can produce--I used to have a beautiful set of about 20 stamps showing the "Royalty" of France. Was the issuing country France?? Nope. Chad!!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: LSH Topic Next Topic: The Fire of 1983  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03