Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/8/2024 1:40:46 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Lt. Jesse M. Lee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Correct Their Errors Topic Next Topic: The Timber
Page: of 3

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 23 2004 :  08:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I expanded to 10 across above without cutting the lines in half. Should be ten troopers, 21 lines, not 42.

From all accounts there was small, if any, resistence at MTC, the crossing to the heart of the village and quickest way to separate the civvies from the warriors (currently contended all with Reno...). In short, every reason to cross there. It's why I like the wounded C theory.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - June 23 2004 :  09:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I expanded to 10 across above without cutting the lines in half. Should be ten troopers, 21 lines, not 42.
It does not matter what formation the troops are drawn up in ,it still takes time and that formation you describe makes a very nice target.

the crossing to the heart of the village and quickest way to separate the civvies from the warriors
Here we have a village which you youself have stated has no central control and no method of communication ,yet my some miracle manages to send all the civvies north while the warriors head South.No way.Custer faced the same reality as Reno.He saw a huge teeming village of hundreds of furious warriors and there he was caught with his pants down, his command in no formation to either attack or defend.One of those holy sh** moments.
Cheers

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 23 2004 :  12:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, it doesn't take time to flower out from four to more as you cross. If there was no notable resistence, why not?

I don't agree that everyone was with Reno either, but on the other hand Custer came down MTC an hour after Reno attacked, so the village could have reacted that way. Custer had already had his HS moment from Weir Point, where he could essentially see the entire village, so he started his attack knowing what he was heading for.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - July 01 2004 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it doesn't take time to flower out from four to more as you cross

The tail of the command would be about 1/2 a mile back over borken country.So at 6 mph it takes 5 mins for last troops to cross and lets say another 5 minutes to form up and for Custer to brief the troop commanders.10 minutes in which alerted warriors can easely cover a mile.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 01 2004 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was no place to form up, really, and given that after a brief stand of trees you're in the village, silly to have done so. Just charge, damn it, through the village and drive the horse herd away and - if you think it will work - corral the glob of civvies supposedly already to your upper right. Otherwise, drive them south to Benteen and Reno or north to Terry but do something, would you?

If the village is too big, what are you doing heading north, anyway? Unite the regiment.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - July 02 2004 :  03:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just charge, damn it,
What ? With a front of 1/2 a dozen troopers?

If the village is too big, what are you doing heading north, anyway?
Because you can't double back up MTC.Wouldn't do morale any good for the troopers to see Custer had made a navignational error.North because that is where Deep Coulee leads and at this stage he probably has the first of Galls boys on his case.[Reno was out of the fight by 4.00]In front of him he sees the high ground of Battle Ridge and LSH.Gives him some hope---only to find that Crazy Horse has cut him off.
Now I feel that this sceanario is not in conflict with Gray's time sequence.At 5.25 Weir see what he takes to be Indians in possession of Cavalry guidons.So between Custers withdrawal up Deep Coulee after 4.00 and Weir's observations at 5.25 the 7th fought it's last.
Cheers

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 02 2004 :  12:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wild, the 'front' makes sense only if there is an enemy front to receive it. Unless you plan to break your mount's legs jumping into lodges, you end up in serpentine line - or several or many - and just fire away. Also, you need to get to the horse herd asap and disperse it.

In any case, you have opportunity: take it.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Correct Their Errors Topic Next Topic: The Timber  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03