Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/8/2024 4:15:41 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Aftermath Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Weir Point Topic Next Topic: E Troop Movements
Page: of 5

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 02 2004 :  10:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a long range fight, it was also a short range fight; unfortunantly for the troopers it was a combination of both. The soldiers were armed with the Springfield carbine with a single shot limitation. Even the most expert rifleman could seldom exceed four rounds per minute. Thus, this weapon was perfect for long distance fighting but, ineffective for close range combat. The Indians, however, were much better armed.

According to Fox, "Indian armament at the Custer battle ranged from obsolete muzzle-loaders to the then modern repeating rifles such as Winchesters and the Henry rifle." The key point here being "repeating rifles."

When one visits the battle field today, it is difficult to visualize how the field appeared in 1876. The knolls and slopes were covered by dense shrubbery and foilage; enough to conceal an army of warriors who utilized stealth to infiltrate the soldier positions. Indian testimony relates how the warriors would pop up, then fall to cover, confusing the soldiers with quickly dissapearing targets.

At a critical moment in time, a massive discharge of Indian weapons from The Greasy Grass Ridge Sector towards the bottom of Calhoun Coulee shreaded a platoon of "C" troopers station there. This resulted in a general panic of the troopers who wavered at the onslaught then reeled back towards Calhoun ridge. A large group of warriors armed with repeating rifles (at close range) turned the tide.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - July 03 2004 :  10:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

At a critical moment in time, a massive discharge of Indian weapons from The Greasy Grass Ridge Sector towards the bottom of Calhoun Coulee shreaded a platoon of "C" troopers station there. This resulted in a general panic of the troopers who wavered at the onslaught then reeled back towards Calhoun ridge. A large group of warriors armed with repeating rifles (at close range) turned the tide.

Who says this momentous volley took place, that it was at close range, and that it turned the tide?

R. Larsen

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - July 03 2004 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At a critical moment in time, a massive discharge of Indian weapons from The Greasy Grass Ridge Sector towards the bottom of Calhoun Coulee shreaded a platoon of "C" troopers station there.

To achieve this would have required a complex fire order.The Indians did not have this fire control

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 06 2004 :  9:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me if I error here, but your assumption that the Indians were incapable of exercising a simple fuction-fire you weapons at will-is confusing. I never implied that a senior drill instructor stood upon Greasy Grass Ridge and bellowed, in a commanding voice, "Fire upon my command." Hundreds of warriors discharged their weapons at an enemy who threatened their homes and family. It does not take a great deal of training, complex firing orders, or incentive to protect one's loved ones. A mob of determined, unprofessional, and non-trained individuals may easily do so.

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 06 2004 :  10:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, a large volume of fire was being put out by warriors at the soldiers on Finley, and the coincidence of a multitude of hits being scored shattered the contingent, in numbers and in moral? Seems reasonable.

Wiggs, I think you just need to work on how you word things. I tend to overexplain, reduces the risk of being misunderstood.

It wouldn't take a complex fire order to hit a bunch of soldiers on Finley. Just luck, numbers and/or coincidence.

I came. I saw. I took 300 pictures.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 07 2004 :  12:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crab, Wiggs said at a critical moment there was a discharge. He doesn't say firing increased steadily.

In any case, there is no evidence whatever that this proposed series of events took place. It is an attempt to meld in the found casings to some potentially believable scenario, but there is no evidence that those particular shells were fired in the battle and stayed there for over one hundred years, and no way to prove it even if they are. This is a pillaged and probably augmented and certainly disturbed site. The furrowed brow reverence given these attempts to justify the expense is long past interesting or amusing. It's becoming dangerous that people chat as if this stuff was proven, when it is no more believable than the Mary Adams affadavit. If the site had been recently found, yes, it would mean something.

Wiggs likes to write these melodramatic phrases, just about always borrowed. "At a critical moment in time..." is a cadence and wording from Marquis' Save the Last Bullet, and not to be mistaken for a critical moment in Detroit, or in fact, but somehow demands the redundancy of 'in time.'

It does, for example, take training and incentive to protect your loved ones or to do much of anything in life. That the Indians lucked out by being slightly less incompetent than the 7th this day isn't enough to exclude them for blanket condemnation for letting a large enemy force approach and attack the village in broad daylight four days after the longest, and then be so incompetent thay couldn't wipe out Reno inert in their laps. They were so concerned for their families unless it meant getting up early and posting boring sentry duty.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Edited by - Dark Cloud on July 07 2004 12:37:08 AM

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 07 2004 :  01:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"At a critical moment in time, a massive discharge of Indian weapons..."

That's what he said. It doesn't point to a volley, organized by a chief. But coincidental timing. Of course, its all conjecture. But I get the feeling, despite the many easy opportunities to give Wiggs grief, you go for the more difficult ones as well.

Main Entry: mas·sive
Pronunciation: 'ma-siv
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English massiffe, from Middle French massif, from masse mass
(1) : large in comparison to what is typical

Main Entry: 1dis·charge
Pronunciation: dis-'chärj, 'dis-"
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French descharger, from Late Latin discarricare, from Latin dis- + Late Latin carricare to load -- more at CHARGE
transitive senses
1 : to relieve of a charge, load, or burden:
2 a : GO OFF, FIRE -- used of a gun

So...

Some warriors in a particular location relieved their guns of their charge/load in a manner that is considered large in comparison to what is typical firing. That probably happened all over the field. There were a helluvalot of warriors on the field. Its feasible that, at one point, more warriors fired simultaneously than at other points, or than what was typical.

Now, Wiggs has a habit of delving in fiction and/or conjecture. I don't see this as a reason to attack him (or whatever you'd term it) over doing so. Yeah, its a bit over-the-top, but it shows he has a passion for it. More for the what-ifs and the maybe-this-happeneds, for the stories and the myths than the facts. But then again, you don't seem to like anyone that is into that. Fair enough, but why rip on those who do? I will admit, I read Wiggs' posts and I think of me in 7th grade. Not that he has the mind of one, but that he has read the older stuff that's not so, well, new. Nothing wrong with that, he'll read more and things will change. But I don't understand why you have to give him so much sh!t over it.

Massive discharge = a large amount of firing, larger than normal. Only you would infer that Wiggs was pointing to central command and fire discipline with the words "massive discharge". You're really, really reaching this time. Reminds me of the 80s movies in which the blonde asshole with the Porsche would cheat to win at some ridiculous contest, when he didn't have to because he'd win easily anyway. And he'd get caught, and he'd lose. Stick with the easy ones, there are plenty.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 07 2004 :  03:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Except I didn't do that, Wild did.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - July 07 2004 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a slow day Crab.So what the heck, I take a shot at Wiggs.Anyway DC has him so full of holes what's another one?

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - July 07 2004 :  6:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Crab

Now, Wiggs has a habit of delving in fiction and/or conjecture. I don't see this as a reason to attack him (or whatever you'd term it) over doing so. Yeah, its a bit over-the-top, but it shows he has a passion for it. More for the what-ifs and the maybe-this-happeneds, for the stories and the myths than the facts.

I wouldn't care if he presented his fiction as fiction. Nobody here is smacking Thomas Berger over the head because he wrote a novel with Custer in it. But that's not what Wiggs does, and it's why people get on his case. Just look at the "Indian Perspectives" board for an example of his latest fraud. As that thread shows, the guy fakes things but intends people to take them for truth. And that angers me. It's how history becomes corrupted with lies.

R. Larsen

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 07 2004 :  9:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crab, I will take your advice with, I believe, the good intent meant in the giving of it. Thank you Sir.

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 08 2004 :  02:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All I truly glean from Wiggs is he surmises its possible that a large amount of firing in a short period of time resulted in many hits on Custer's men, shattering their morale and position. Probably happened in more than one place on the field. He is only guilty of novelizing the idea.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 10 2004 :  10:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
El Crab, I appreciate your comments. I guess I am from the old school and, admittedly, I get a little passionant about this battle. I realized a very long time ago that character assassination has been the tool of the small minded for eons. Please belive me when I say that I find such such characters and comments amusing. You may have noted that several, past forum members no longer attent our sessions due to the inappropiate comments made by a few. I have received numerous PM's encouraging me to continue and, continue I will. Thank you Sir.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 10 2004 :  10:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More in the nature of character suicide. Olde school frowned on liars and pretentions. You aren't olde school. Olde school could spell.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - July 11 2004 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

I have received numerous PM's encouraging me to continue and, continue I will.

Continue what, exactly?

Fabricating Indian stories? Plagiarizing the works of Gray and Fox? Bombarding us with multiple copies of the same post? Doctoring quotes?

I encourage these "past forum members," if they exist (Wiggs IS the source, after all ...) to come out of hiding and speak for themselves. Nobody'll bite them. It should be fascinating to hear them tell us why deceit is so good.

R. Larsen

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - July 12 2004 :  9:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have taken an immense pride, thus far, in not stooping to the slimy level of one R. Larsen. Unable to contribute any information of import, he and his cohort consistently disrupt this forum by evoking tirades of slander against all who may disagree with them. Like two little boys who have seniority in the sand box, they resent the intrusion of others who wish to play.

Some have described their insidious remarks as "passion" I see them as two, spoiled children who never learned to be adults. Is it possible that I am the only member of this forum who has grown weary of their "shark" attacks which, more often than not, appear in pairs?

I have witnessed other individuals who have made comment on this forum, then receive a volley of contemptible remarks from Tweedly-Dee and Tweedly-Dum and, refuse to return;thanks to the viciousness of the clone brothers.

Gentlemen, and I use that term loosely, I will cease to post when I am ready to do so. Your consistently boorish remarks do not offend me. In summation, to the other, graceful and mannerly members of this forum, I fervently apoligize for discussing issues that have nothing to do with this battle. Perhaps the dynamic Duo will do the same.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 13 2004 :  01:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your pride is misplaced: you've never risen to Larsen's instep, which is why you cannot answer his requests for proof for your contentions (start with the Benteen/Elliot friendship).

All you have to do is not lie, fabricate, or plagiarize and I, for one, would be happy. Lying, fabricating, and plagiarizing are serious faults, quite despicable indeed. To point these out is less so, by any standard.

And you haven't witnessed others getting hit as hard as you, because you are the only one who lies, fabricates, and plaigiarizes. You continue to try to a drape others under your shade, as if you were one of many, and speaking for the downtrodden, but there is nobody else. Just you, Wiggs. And well deserved.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - July 14 2004 :  3:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the names of these "individuals" (Wiggs is an untrustworthy source) were revealed, I think we would find that they are either (1) those who slandered participants in the battle based on weak/invalid evidence, (2) the insecure who resent having their statements questioned, or (3) those who just lie/make up the evidence.

Wiggs scores on all three. Serious, and SPECIFIC, accusations of deceit and plagiarism exist against you. You haven't provided sources to back up your claims, or apologies for the people you've lied to. It's still shocking to me that a cop ---if you are one--- would have such disdain for the truth, but then there's a lot about you that's more disturbing than a nun in a whorehouse.

R. Larsen
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Weir Point Topic Next Topic: E Troop Movements  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03