The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 5:20:30 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 "This Day in History" needs a technical adviser
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Hunter Heroes ... Part Two Topic Next Topic: Question number 3.  

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - March 22 2003 :  10:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at the "This Day in History" thing at the top of the page.

It reads:

quote:
March 22, 1820 NAVAL HERO KILLED IN DUEL:
Click here for the full story.

(Referring to Decatur.)

Next to this is an image of these:

The older I get, the more I try to let these things go, but sometimes they just bug me.

~~Aim small, miss small.
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 22 2003 :  11:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
LOL! I noticed that too. I know practically zippo about firearms of any type, but I do know just enough to know that those pistols came along much later than 1820.

So what are they, Scott? They look like "the gun that won the west." Colt six-shooters or something? Somewhere around 1880 perhaps??
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 22 2003 :  2:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They show up dark on my monitor, but I ^think^ they're Ruger Bisley's. The Ruger is a modern single-action cowboy revolver, however it's roughly modelled after the Bisley Colt, which came out (I think) in 1894.

The Colt Bisley was a variant of the Peacemaker, introduced in 1873--The Gun That Won the West. It had a different hammer and grip frame. It was named, IIRC after the major British shooting event.

Here's an original Bisley Colt, albeit refinished, from Butterfield's:

~~Aim small, miss small.

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - March 23 2003 :  2:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree Scott, my first guess was that they were Bisley's.

It seems very few people actually care to be accurate when it comes to firearms. I can't even count how many times I've seen mislabeled firearms in historical museums. Things like an English trade gun labeled as French, a 1860s plains rifle labeled as a shotgun, an American made musket with a curly maple stock and Short Land pattern parts labeled as a 2nd Model Brown Bess, etc.

It's pretty frustrating, whenever I go to a museum I always expect to find at least one firearm mislabeled.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Previous Topic: The Hunter Heroes ... Part Two Topic Next Topic: Question number 3.  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.23 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07