The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 6:29:44 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 War for Empire Consortium Website Launched
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Jinx Carlson Topic Next Topic: New Yahoo Group
Page: of 2

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - February 27 2003 :  6:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mohicanlanders!!

Here is a new website which has tremendous information about the War for Empire. Included are events planned through 2006, so you can plan your vacations now. I would expect that more will be added as time goes by.........

http://www.warforempire.org/index.cfm

Plan your vacations now!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 28 2003 :  12:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Cousin,Is this the same consortium that is spending 20 million dollars for a three hour PBS F&I movie?We were able to do our production for a fraction of that!"George Washington's First War:The Battles for Fort Duquesne" premieres May 21st 2003 at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall in Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania.Check it out at www.paladincom.com

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 28 2003 :  12:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Here is a new website which has tremendous information about the War for Empire.

That is a nice website! And one that I am going to go right back and explore further as soon as I am finished here. It will be a good place for me to begin my newly-decided-upon journey to learn more about the F&I War, even though I am not yet finished with the Rev. War. It's just too inviting and I can't resist!

Thanks, Seamus!

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - February 28 2003 :  3:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You are very welcome, WW.......

Edmund! Nice to hear from ye, Laddie........

I don't know if this is the Consortium which is spending sooooo much $$$$$ on their project or not. I don't usually busy myself with such silliness. I would suspect it is, however, and I do wish them success. We do not need any more half-truths and shabby productions which seem to have pervaded the Rev War years here recently.

I would agree that OUR film (because WE are in it, heheheh!), "George Washington's First War: The Battles for Fort Duquesne", will be a very good production! After all, with US in it, it can't be all bad, eh? In addition, the production people are top quality. I am very anxious to see it. May 21st, you say? That being a Wednesday, perhaps I may be able to get out to the forks of the Ohio with me very own bag of popcorn and cheer us on! (I won't tell ANYONE how it ends!)

Good to hear from you, Lad....be nice!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 28 2003 :  6:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will cousinI will keep you and your Pennsylvanians appraised of any new developments with ur production.Sgt.Munro & I were hoping to get you guys to come down for this.Pax Aye!

Highlander

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - February 28 2003 :  6:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Seamus ... Good site!

Trying to hook up a link to them. Just waiting to hear ...

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 01 2003 :  11:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It appears as if this consortium is not bringing anything new to the table,but rather,adding their name to events that are already in place such as The Fort Pitt Colonial Fair and The Battle of Bushy Run(events that would happen irregardless).My friend Sgt.Munro even asked if the consortium would recognize events such as The Battle of Grant's Hill or The Siege of Ft.Pitt(during Pontiac's War)and she acted as if he were speaking Chinese.It is evident that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has neglected its historic sites over the years,and now sees the opportunity to make a fast buck off of the 250th anniversary of the French & Indian War.Bravo,I say

Highlander

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 02 2003 :  09:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Edmund,my friend,

It would seem to me that to give endorsement to projects which are scheduled without Consortium input makes good sense, and is very good business. The publicity and circulation that can be generated is something that organizers of events often cannot afford budget-wise, AND quite often is overlooked by said organizers because of lack of expertise and/or experience in such matters. It is a win/win situation for them. That the Consortium didn't come up with the idea in the first place makes no difference. If they are willing to embrace it.....great! Also, some of the events/projects were on the table BEFORE the Consortium existed. It makes good sense to me.......

Also, the 'neglect' you speak of is often directly due to budgetary constraints in state government spending. Cuts take place in Agencies, and Commissions, first when tax dollars are involved. ANY Agency or Commission which depends on any amount of tax dollars is affected....from the local library in Podunkville to the PHMC....and you know that. If the PHMC had unlimited amounts of revenue to dip into, they most certainly would do a much more thorough job in their appointed mission.

I recently attended a 2 day Blackpowder Safety Officer certification program run by PHMC for site administrators and staff...paid and volunteer.(Yes, I passed and am now official!) I will cede that there are site people who would be better off in other professions.....that is true in every profession, you know THAT, too. The budgetary constraints I spoke of above affected the program there, too. HOWEVER...there ARE dedicated staff in the PHMC at all levels who want nothing but quality, the best. Under the rules and playing fields they are obligated to play on, I think they do a very good job. In addition, politics rear its ugly head, too........we will NOT get into that, because we cannot do anything about it anyway.

I am aware of some of the issues at Ft. Pitt, and, I am saddened by the situation. It is far from my ability or sphere of influence to do anything about it, however, I think that public attacks or comments....airing dirty laundry, if you will..... are detrimental to the whole picture and damagaing to all involved. To paint PHMC as an ogre is unfair. To lambast the Consortium is unfair. We are all in this game to educate, to share in the 'glory' of achievement, and to make 'our site(s)' the best we possibly can. People do not want to come to places involved in strife and controversy. Event planners do not want 'radical' or trouble-making units around. A bad reputation gained is a very hard one to lose.

We all need to work together....we need to help each other to be successful....we all need to share whatever glory is to come from that.

If we can convince the new Governor (HA!) to up the PHMC budget by MILLIONS we can do lots more, can't we? I do not think my taxes can take that kind of a hit, so I donate freely in time and in dollars to whatever local PHMC sites I can, so that the state...public...dollars can be of greater value to the people who run the sites, and ultimately, to the public who choose to come there.

And don't be too hard on Consortium staff who may not know every battle or conflict which occurred during the time period. Hell's Bells, not even I know that!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 02 2003 :  10:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree agree with some of what Seamus and Richard say,but I still believe that the P.H.M.C is staffed by morons who got their jobs via political means because they couldn't land a REAL one.Through reenacting I offer the public a chance to experience living history,something that they couldn't see at a site solely staffed by bureaucratsWhat is more,with the coming 250th F&I anniversary,I find that my services are very much in demand by a variety of organizations.Therefore,I can pick and choose where my unit and I will go.We do not have to put up with the arrogance of some P.H.M.C site directors who figure that they are doing us a favor by allowing us onto their site.On the contrary,without the reenactor,their site would be insignificant!Nor are these problems endemic to Ft.Pitt.Just look at the Maryland Forces and Ft.Frederick.For the record,I was number 1# and the only combat veteran(Desert Storm)on the list for Museum Educator 1 at the Ft.Pitt Museum.But because of some unethical backroom deal that was made between the P.H.M.C and The Senator John Heinz History Center,I was cheated out of the job.However,since one of my attorneys is the son of the Lt.Gov,and meets with the Governor quite regularly,I may have some satisfaction yet

"What If They Reenacted The Battle of Bushy Run,And Nobody Came!"

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 03 2003 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One more thing cousin,the new Gov,wants to increase tourism in our fine Commonwealth(face it,there isn't much else here)which is all of the more reason to upgrade the historic sites.As a taxpayer,I also have a vested interest in this course of action.Our mutual friend who runs OBV will tell you what a closed society the P.H.M.C is,and is only there to provide jobs for a select few,the public be damned.I have had enough of seeing my tax dollars support such waste,fraud and abuse.When I have my say with the new Gov,I hope to send some of the riff-raff,ringleaders and reprobates of the P.H.M.C packing.Only when a good house cleaning commences,can we take back our historic sites,and everyone will benefit[C:-).The private sites such as Ft.Ligonier that have farby battles with no casualties can simply be boycotted.It has been done before,with a change of attitude in the staffthat made them more appreciative of the reenactors the following season.

Highlander

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 03 2003 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Edmund, your veins are a-popping! Here, sit down, have a wee cup of Port...or Glenlivet, if ye choose.....take a d-e-e-p breath!

Aye, there are, indeed, many, many places OUR tax dollars could be put to better use....for sure. But that is the nature of the beast we call 'government'!

I'll not discuss any further with ye the PHMC or Pennsylvania state government or politics on this Forum. There are few onlookers who would understand, or care, for that matter! It is obvious you are very unhappy with it all, and it will foster no good to continue this discussion here. And I am not about to place a friendship in jeopardy by doing so.....

Pax, my friend....pax aye!

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 03 2003 :  9:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tis'nothing towards you cousin,you understand.One of my most favorite people from the P.H.M.C lurks on this site everyday (when he should be doing something meaningful,again,my tax dollars at work)and I hear it really drives him batty

I think that it is good that the public is aware of some of the problems with these sites,so meaningful changes can be made.Afterall,it is they whom we do this for.If I don't see you sooner,then I shall see you at our movie premiere www.paladincom.com Take care my friend,pax aye!

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 04 2003 :  6:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One final thought,and I will sign off on this topic.Just when I think that its safe to go back into the Ft.Pitt Museum(I'm running for my old position on the board there)I get hit with something new.When asked by the Site Administrator to assist in the production of an introductory video for the museum(to be made by Keystone Video,the same makers of the 13 min.Bushy Run video),I gladly volunteered my men(I also assisted in staffing for GWFW,including Dave Hustler"Living Historian:Your Bridge to the 18th Century")for this asignment.At the last board meeting,this administrator tells us that the P.H.M.C will now market this DVD without our permission(we did not even get to vote on the matter).The board even generously gave $12,500 for this production,without even so much as a thankyou from the bureaucrat.Since none of my reenactors have consented to this,nor even signed release forms(as we did for GWFW)I don't believe that the P.H.M.C has the authority to proceed with this project.It is typical of the arrogance that one will encounter when dealing with this organization.Even director Robert Matzen of GWFW & WTFRR www.paladincom.com asked for our permission to use our images in the making of his movies(plus gave each reenactor a generous stipend to boot).In days of old(ie;The Bushy Run video of 1997)the P.H.M.C even gave the renactors a stipend.Now,however,we reenactors are being taken for granted,and we are opting to vote with our feet.Hopefully other "living historians" will learn from our experience.

Highlander

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - April 04 2003 :  7:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Hopefully other "living historians" will learn from our experience."

Edmund, good for you and your comrades! While I understand how some reenactors' passion drives them to work for free (or close to it)on worthy, or seemingly worthy film projects, they are truly being taken for granted. I recently had the opportunity to meet and talk with someone who has been involved in buckskinning and reenacting for a long time, and has also worked in a major capacity on very well known and award winning films, and this person said that reenactors are often viewed very negatively by wranglers, stunt people, and others working in the film industry because they are not considered professionals, and are taking work away from working extras and others who work for pay. Right now, those working on the new Alamo movie are making less than those who worked on Gary Foreman's "Frontier" series and other documentaries. I really think serious living historians have to learn how to say "no" sometimes. As hard as that may be, in the end, we'll all benefit from it.

Two Kettles

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 06 2003 :  12:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Edmund, my boy......I do believe you have hit a very good point here. No model release.....no film....or perhaps a cut of any proceeds. I'd say a competent legel beagle should review this one.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 06 2003 :  4:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks guys,you have given me some great ideas.At one time,my Shawnee brother(Pretty Ears)and I even considered forming a reenactor's guild to ensure fairness to the reenactors out there.Many of whom are more than happy to give their time in pursuit of history.Along these lines,the WFEC is also backing a three hour movie for PBS on the French & Indian War.When my Grenadier friend who runs OBV attended their last meeting,he asked if they would be using reenactors for this production.When the lady in charge of the consortium said "reenactors" in response to his question,she made a facethat revealed how she felt on the subject.Miss Consortium also stated that they would be using "actors"dressed in period clothing since reenactors do not dress authentic enough.All of this from a person who probably wouldn't know the difference between a Civil War and F&I reenactment.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 07 2003 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To further illustrate what types of problems that I've encountered here,check out www.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030407fortpitt0407p2.asp

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 08 2003 :  11:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I believe that the ulimate solution to this dilemma is the privitization of the P.H.M.C sites.It appears to me that the private sites such as Ft.Ligonier,are doing way better financially than those that are run by the state.

If one goes to the State of New York,one will find that sites such as Ft.Niagra & Fort Ticonderoga actually have the support of the state and flourish.This is the exception rather than the rule however.Most places out west are all privatized,as those states simply don't want to spend the money on history,and I'm sure that tourism probably suffers.Even so,I'm certain that they don't have that sordid cast of characters<):) from the P.H.M.C to deal with either.

This is the case with Ft.Pitt.It still has the same exhibits that it did 35 years ago when the place was built.This "War for Empire Consortium" is doomed to fail,because it is spending all of it's money on advertising,yet nothing on the sites.What good is attracting somebody to a site to get their tourist dollars,when there is nothing new to see?It is only when the P.H.M.C sites are better managed will the public actually want to visit them and get a better appreciation of the history of their country

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 09 2003 :  05:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is it just me,or is there something wrong with the Site Administrator down at Ft.Pitt/Bushy Run Battlefield?His latest request was for the reenactors of the 42nd & 60th regiments of foot who volunteer at the museum to mow the grass and pick up trash on the museum groundsThe way that Fort Pitt was layed out was that in being the most elaborate British fortification that was built in North America(as well as the last city that was built in the 18th century),it resembled a pentagon with five sides(as were most fortifications of the day)or five bastions.The museum itself is situated in a replica of the Monongahela Bastion,while the Flag Bastion sits secluded in the rear.It is this bastion that has been neglected with weeds growing out of the sod on the earthen ramparts,and the homeless have erected a shanty town in the area while spewing their garbage & graffiti throughout.This bastion is also located in the middle of a public walkway that pedestrians/visitors are understandably hesitant to use.This Site Administrator is unwilling to conact the proper agencies to handle this problem,and instead wants reenactors dressed in full kit to do it in full view of the public.Any historic site that would do that to it's "living historians",does not deserve to have them.

Highlander

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 09 2003 :  09:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ticonderoga is privately-owned since 1820, and since 1931 has been a not-for-profit educational institution chartered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York and is tax-exempt under IRS Code 501(c)(3). The Fort Ticonderoga Association is very heavily endowed. The Endowment Fund is managed by a Board of Trustees,...which is populated by the Pell family, some BIG money people who also are well-connected, and an excellent cross-section of the shakers and movers of the Ticonderoga community...and provides many, many dollars to the Fort. It does not now, nor ever has had any state of New York input as to operation. With the exception of certain grants stated below, there is no tax money involved in its operation. The Thompson-Pell Research Center, Pavillion, King's Garden, and the ongoing reconstruction projects are supported by endowment, which in turn, is supported by fund-raisers, donations and contributions from private individuals and corporations. Operating costs are primarily (in excess of 70%) supported by admissions, sales and fees. The Museum has received federal Institute for Museum and Library Services and state Council of the Arts grants.

Ti is a classic case study of how to operate a 501(c)(3) institution. To compare Ti's operation and state-owned sites in Pennsylvania is apples and oranges.

I cannot speak for Niagara. Someone else out there may know.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 09 2003 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're correct cousin,I should have checked me sources betterFt.Niagara is definitely a state site though.The 42nd will be mustering at OBV on the lat weekend of this month.Perhaps you would care to join us for a wee bit o' the tipple

Highlander

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - April 09 2003 :  6:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Edmund, your kind invitation is appreciated, however, I do not believe it will be possible to join you. I will be on a major shopping spree at Ft. Frederick Thursday and Friday, and obligations here may render me homebound for Saturday and Sunday.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 10 2003 :  9:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did I mention that these activities will be taking place at the Jon Bonnett Tavern?We'll probably be telling ghost stories since the place is haunted as well

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - April 14 2003 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that the WFEC would do far better to find out those haunted sites that are connected to the French & Indian War and market them.Everybody likes a good ghost storyThe story of the Jean Bonnett Tavern is detailed in the book "Boos & Brews:A Guide To Haunted Taverns,Inns & Hotels of Pennsylvania" by Patty Wilson.I will say that there is a connection with Gen.John"Iron Head"Forbes however.There is also the "Bloody Spring" near Sunbury,Pa.Finally,closer to home,The Ft.Pitt Museum is haunted as a result of the "Battle of Grant's Hill"(as well as the 10th floor of Kaufman's Dept.Store)and the J.Edgar Thompson Steel Works(site of Braddock's Defeat)

Highlander

Sgt.Reynolds
Pathfinder

Longhunter With Dogs
USA

April 24 2003

Posted - May 16 2003 :  11:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sgt.Reynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It has just been released that this PBS movie will be titled"The War That Made America."We'll see.

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 20 2003 :  04:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt.Reynolds

It has just been released that this PBS movie will be titled"The War That Made America."We'll see.

And just how much time & money did it take them just to arrive at the name?

Highlander
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Jinx Carlson Topic Next Topic: New Yahoo Group  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.66 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07