The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 7:29:55 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 You can take Hawkeye out of the wilderness, but...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Jodhi May on True Stories Network Topic Next Topic: Best warrior  

sidony
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 21 2002

Posted - February 11 2003 :  9:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...can you take the wilderness out of Hawkeye? We know that Cora can adapt( and flourish) in Hawkeye's world, but what if situations were reversed? How do you think Hawkeye would cope in "civilized" society? I think it would stifle him physicallly and mentally. Hawkeye was made to run free through the forrest...
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 12 2003 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sidony

...can you take the wilderness out of Hawkeye? We know that Cora can adapt( and flourish) in Hawkeye's world, but what if situations were reversed? How do you think Hawkeye would cope in "civilized" society? I think it would stifle him physicallly and mentally. Hawkeye was made to run free through the forrest...

If it came to pass that the colony of New York or the wilderness of Can-tuck-ee became too civilized, I believe that Hawkeye would pick up Killdeer, grab Cora by the hand and turn his face to the west. I do not think that he would stay in a civilized society any longer than it would take to say "Uncas."

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 12 2003 :  7:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree. He just doesn't fit into a "civilized" and settled area. One reason I didn't care for Sara Donati's "Into the Wilderness"...he lived near town in a house with his son and family.

daire

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - February 13 2003 :  07:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
One reason I didn't care for Sara Donati's "Into the Wilderness"...he lived near town in a house with his son and family.

Daire,

He leaves in the third book.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - February 13 2003 :  08:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

quote:
One reason I didn't care for Sara Donati's "Into the Wilderness"...he lived near town in a house with his son and family.

Daire,

He leaves in the third book.

Daire, remember that in Sara's book, Hawkeye was much older. Cora had died, and soon he lost Chingachkook. Perhaps he felt a need for the closeness and comfort of family. And, even though he was living part of the time in a cabin, and that cabin was close to a very tiny town... he was living just a few steps away from the vast Wilderness of northern NY and even Canada. In the two books that follow ITW, he does venture back into that wilderness. In fact... he is rarely found at Lake In The Clouds. Then, as Theresa mentioned... when another family member heads west, Hawkeye picks up Killdeer and goes with them. So you see... even in Sara's books, Hawkeye does not really tolerate "civilization."
Ciao!WW

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - February 13 2003 :  1:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All true, WW; and I never read past the 2nd book and that was at least 2 yrs ago, I've forgotten a lot I'm sure, lol. Mainly, I found them rather dull, but that's just me.

daire

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 27 2003 :  02:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As per the "Leatherstocking Tales"--He couldn't handle it. After the wars with the frenchers he remained single, lived in a hut with Chingachgook on the Glimmerglass (Lake Otsego). When Chingachgook died in a forest fire he decided to flee the clearings and "the sound of the axe". He eventually became a trapper on the prairie and lived out his final days as an honored guest in a Pawnee village. He kept Killdeer with him until the end and kept hunting dogs for companionship. He left for the "happy hunting grounds" a man of nearly 90, as contented as he could be knowing that the wilderness and friends of his youth, the Delaware, had passed into history.
  Previous Topic: Jodhi May on True Stories Network Topic Next Topic: Best warrior  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07