The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 11:28:10 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Deep Freeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .
Page: of 14

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 01 2006 :  12:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very interesting link, Guide. Thanks. Boy-oh-boy... does it ever look cold up there. I'm shivering just looking at those webcam shots.

But look what's in the upper left corner of that page! Anyone here remember the fun thread about the Old Man? You can access it here: Farewell, Old Man. We did poke some slightly irreverant fun at him, Guide, but it was done with affection. And how we ever got onto that other topic, I haven't yet figured out.

So... just how are the good people of New Hampshire getting along without their most famous icon? Any news on rebuilding him?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 01 2006 :  4:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Most folks have adapted quite well I'd say. That is unless you owned a motel that depended on that as your local tourist trap. None were actually all that close. Franconia Notch (where the Old Man was located) is along a highway, and that stetch travels thru a state park, - no motels thankfully. There was quite a bit of discussion about tryig to rebuild "something" that sorta looked close. Turns out, far too expensive, - and the rock face behind any new "profile" is marginal for a project of that size & weight.

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 02 2006 :  8:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well personally, although I do understand (but don't necessarily agree with) their desire to recapture something that brought a lot of tourism, I sort of thought the whole idea of trying to rebuild him was a bit ridiculous. Imagine the cost!

Well, back to the weather... we did get some snow today. I figure a good 8 inches in my yard. We have received so little this year, I haven't gotten my usual amount of shoveling excercise. It actually felt good to get out there and toss some snow around this evening. In fact, my daughter and I finished ours and went a few doors down to do the walks and driveway of a neighbor couple who are very elderly. The neighbor in between us who usually does theirs with his snowblower is away on vacation... in Florida! So we filled in.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 03 2006 :  5:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As far as snow goes, - 'bout the same here. This year I'd guess less that 40" so far. Last year at this point, as I recall, - we had over 60". The good part is, next year should be another "good 'un" for snow, things do "average out" in the long run. Almost time for you to start getting ready "for camp" I would think.

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 03 2006 :  9:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, last year we had a lot of snow. I just remember how difficult it was to try to handle it all myself because my husband was too ill. My neighbors did help out too, which was greatly appreciated.

And yes, my first re-enacting season begins next Sunday, right Seamus? We go for a one-day event -- Charter Day -- at the Conrad Weiser Homestead in Pennsylvania. I will be sewing up my wool petticoat this weekend in preparation!

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Just my two cents.. Topic Next Topic: Alasdair Fraser Is Coming . . .  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 4.35 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07