The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 3:26:50 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Zee eenveezabull coureur de bois scouting out ZEE MANN
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Zee EENVEEZABLE Courer de bois! Topic Next Topic: The Sweet SMELL of Success?  

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 15 2011

Posted - October 22 2011 :  12:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay then, you fellers already probably realize from my first posts that Mr. Mann and I are not exactly buddies. I suppose I should say I am not buddies with HIM--he doesn't even know I exist! And as an eelooseev coureur de bois, I'd just as soon keep it that way. My encounters with Da Furher were not friendly--not even acknowledged, actually, other than with hostile or irritated stares. But you can tell a lot from a stare--ask any wolf or chimpanzee....That alone would not have made me so negative in my opinion of this person, but I observed so much more, in his interactions with others, that this distasteful opinion was eventually sealed. Later, experiences with other film directors who were the OPPOSITE in behaviour, made me realize even more how little excuse there was for a lot of the rudeness(which, in my opinion, is a form of social stupidity). If Mr. Mann had just been generally rude to EVERYONE all the time, I might have a more forgiving attitude toward him--putting the behaviour down as mental illness(which no one can help that has it, of course), severe social ineptitude caused by childhood trauma or a massive brain tumor causing constant excruciating pain, or other such tragic circumstances. But no, Mr. Mann's behaviour was quite selective, and under perfect control--his behaviour to the upper eschelon of the Stars was entirely different--as illustrated in the many great interviews on this website! They seemed to have a very different opinion of him than us peons. and I myself saw him behaving with the greatest of solicitude and consideration to these stars. And on occaision, he seemed genuinelly friendly and responsive to others lower down in the massive hierarchy, but usually only very briefly when he was directing them specifically while they were in front of the camera. Once off camera--same old rudeness.....to be continued....
report to moderator

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 22 2011 :  1:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...I am NOT a "leader" type personality--but I AM very selective(when given the chance) of who I follow, as any sensible member of a wolf pack also is. Tyrannical alpha wolves in the wild do not tend to rule very long; constant dissension in the pack is very detrimental to survival, so despotic leaders will be driven off or killed outright eventually. Something I have observed in humans is; it takes every bit as much effort and energy to be rude and hateful, as it does to be kind and generous in one's attitude. This does not cover rudeness caused by provocation--some people ask for it, and sometimes a bit of a dominance display is necessary to keep the pack in line--a strong leader is a good leader. Being rude and hateful to people or animals is counterproductive for a leader--it causes seething resentment, and although if one is a powerful leader(in the sense of social hierarchy in humans, not necessarily physically, of course!) he/she can often FORCE compliance and some productivity, but you NEVER get the best out of people, or their all, with hateful, selfish behaviour. A major reason I was so flippant on the set of "Mohicans" was because of my complete disrespect for the leader, based on my observations and my few face-to-face encounters. Other film projects I worked on that I was treated kindly, I WORKED MY BUTT OFF gladly, and would have KILLED for those guys, so much did I respect and admire them! This is why I consider unprovoked rudeness and hatefullness a form of social stupidity. With all this in mind, perhaps you guys can see where my opinions are coming from......tbc...
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 22 2011 :  2:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
On THIS subject, I'd like to expound a bit, too. My first encounter with "Hollywood" was during the filming of the Battle of Bull Run sequence for the mini-series The Blue and the Gray, directed by Andrew McLaglen, son of famous actor Victor. Only this one sequence was filmed with reenactors, the bulk of the "Extras" being college students from the University of Arkansas. We were able to maneuver for the film crew so easily ( and in proper military fashion! ) that they were all VERY appreciative, going so far as to spend about an hour making a souvenir photo of the occasion for us which later was mailed free of charge! Academy-Award-winning director ( for an IMAX film about the Grand Canyon ) Kieth Merril, for whom I worked on Alamo - the Price of Freedom and Legacy ( a dramatization about the Mormon Trek ), was always laid-back, friendly and approchable. Another Academy-Award winner, Ed Zwick, directed Glory and went so far as to invite the reenactors to come and view ths screening of battle scenes we'd shot; he was usually harried and very busy but never seemed cross, rude, or out-of-sorts. So obviously "greatness" or success doesn't always breed the kind of behavior Lane has commented on here.

We have already mentioned Mann's "Evil Twin" toady, the universally despised Michael Waxman, the First Production Assistant or "First P.A." who was rude, condescending, hateful, etc., etc. to EVERYONE - except of course HIS boss Mann and probably the actors. He was a stocky, muscular little jerk with a close-cropped dark Mephistopholean beard, always clad in a white T-shirt, baggy white shorts, a ball cap, and the inevetable "Hollywood" dark sunglasses, either sucking on a Tootsie Roll Pop ( a'la Kojak! ), or maybe chewing on a straw, popsicle stick, or toothpick - I forget which; he made Mann look meek and kindly by comparison! I think, though, since his position was as Mann's "Executive Officer", he was only reflecting his Master's directives; this sort of behavior would NOT have gone very far on the other productions I mentioned! As stated elsewhere, most of the immediate subordinate department heads had either been fired or quit in exasperation, with the notable exception of Mickey Gilbert, head of Stunts, who also acted as a second-unit director and was unfailingly nice as far as I could see to his crew and to us.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 22 2011 :  2:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by James N.
I think, though, since his position was as Mann's "Executive Officer", he was only reflecting his Master's directives;

In the company I worked for, also know for it's not-so-nice upper management, I observed that the subordinates tended to assume the character of their bosses. It led to promotion and acceptance into their circles. Except that my boss saw what was happening to him and changed his behavior. This did not advance his career, but it got him my everlasting respect.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 22 2011 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ha! As they say, "shyte rolls downhill", and in the "1st soldier account" on this website, he stated it perfectly as I remember it, each position in the hierarchy displacing their anger and frustration on the ones below! And in other productions the opposite--kindness and generosity of spirit also being expressed from the top to the bottom. I LOVED your title, James, on your account of "The Ass In The Lion's Skin", having been a huge Aesop fan since childhood! And the stupidity of rudeness reminded me of another Aesop fable, the one of "The Mouse And The Lion", where the lion, amused at the captured mouse's pleading, releases him unharmed--but that mouse later saved the lion's life by chewing through the rope that held the net trap together that the lion got caught in--you JUST NEVER KNOW who might come in mighty handy one day, and it can only be to your benefit to treat others kindly, no matter how low on the totem pole they may be AT THE TIME! From what little I learned of Hollywood, to be such a big town, it sure is a little town, and REPUTATION(real or imagined) is EVERYTHING there, and it is doubly foolish to be such a jerk when that lowly Xtra or P. A. may one day be a big star or producer themselves! What comes around indeed does go around. I worked with several people on the "Christy" set who had also worked "Mohicans"--ALL had bad things to say about it--vehement, angry things. What a sad(and totally unnecessary) legacy. One fellow who had been working on the production side of filming for over 30 years, who lived and worked out of Hollywood, said it was by far THE WORST project he had ever worked on, in terms of treatment by his uppers, pressure and stress on the job, and just the general atmosphere on the set. He also told me he had heard Michael Mann had wanted to remake the classic "Drums Along The Mohawk", and sent somebody high up that he worked with on "Mohicans" a folder with all the pertinent information and a request for him to join them(I have no idea the position this person held--most of the filmmaking titles are Greek to me), and this fellow hocked a big loogie right in the middle of the folder and mailed it back. A similar response from various others, and so the remake never got off the ground. Dang, what a shame; I'd LOVE to see that movie too! Perhaps done by someone else, of course......Sidetracking here a bit, wouldn't it be FANTASTIC if someone wrangled up most of the main older cast of "Mohicans"(let's say, Peter Jackson, for instance....) and filmed one of the Fenimore Cooper sequels--My pick would be "The Pioneers" where Chingachgook meets his tragic end, the dramatic battle between the panther and the mastiff, Bumpo getting fined by a game warden for hunting deer out of season, and the sad destruction of the wilderness that could make a plea for the environment still.......

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 23 2011 :  09:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....and if the Monitor/s and fans of this website are perhaps getting a bit worried that this crazy dang coureur de bois guy is going to rattle on NEGATIVELY forever about this beloved movie(and I DO love the movie too!)--have no fear--I chose THE MANN first in my reminisces to get that negativity over with quickly and move on--it was an unfortunate but real aspect of the filming, that affected everyone involved to some degree or another, but I have only positive and/or interesting(?) things to say about my encounters with everyone else that was more socially dominant in the massive hierarchy, and of course the Stars in the movie--like for instance--I was almost KILLED by Daniel Day Lewis(But you'll never guess how! And it would have been accidental....I think....), a conversation with the mesmerizing Madeline Stowe, ribald joking with Maurice Roeves, the down-to-earth, kind and gentle Wes Studi(absolutely NOT like his character Magua AT ALL!), the VERY imposing Russel Means, etc. But, alas, back to the subject of this particular thread, my observations/encounters with THE MANN......

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 23 2011 :  10:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
.....one encounter I had, which perhaps exhibited my own form of social stupidity(yes, I admit freely I am NOT the swooftest myself when it comes to interactions with bipedal primates--someone who knows me well gave me a bumper sticker to display on my truck to explain and apologize constantly for my behaviour--it says "Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves") was regarding Michael Mann's DAUGHTER who visited and ran about on the set--she hung out a lot with the Indians(and therefore zee coureur de bois) one day. She was a little cutie--10 or 11 years old, maybe? Friendly, outgoing, laughing and interacting with everyone she encountered, regardless of status on the set. In other words NOTHING like her dad! And she did not seem the little spoiled tyrant princess she very well could have gotten away with being, had she been so inclined. Which was very lucky for me that she was not.....Now keep in mind us guys were CONSTANTLY joking with each other, often in very deragatory and bawdy ways, perhaps not the best environment for an elementary-aged schoolgirl to be hanging around--but most everyone else had sense enough to clean up their language and comments when THE BOSS'S little daughter came around. I stupidly continued joking like always, and even told the little Mann that I could get TWO good toboggan dogs in an Abnaki village I knew for her in trade(hey, I was just employing more "Method Acting"!). Her eyes flashed angrily--was I making fun of her or just joking around? Yeah, it could have gone very badly, if she had been other than a friendly, fun-loving kid. She saw I was smiling and just(if STOOPIDLY) being friendly, and she was right back to joking with all of us again. At the time, I didn't really realize how foolish that was--even though I wasn't trying to be derogatory or anything. But in hindsight, remembering how aggressively inclined Mr. Mann was, that could have been misconstrued VERY badly, an zee coureur de bois wood 'av 'ad to REALLY start runnink throo zee woods!

Flammable
Pioneer

October 18 2009

Posted - October 23 2011 :  10:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi lane batot! Don't forget to scroll thru some older topics here aswell for there are many questions and issues about the movie I think you might be able to give your input on!

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 23 2011 :  12:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Heck yeah, Flammable--I'm tryin'! My computer time at work is limited, and this is a HUMONGO site! Slowly but surely(except don't call me Shirley....) I'm gettin' caught up. If you or anyone has any specific questions/requests you think I might help you with or contribute something, feel free to ask, fer sure! Do keep in mind the intellect and the experiences of the greatest-of-all-invisible-film-coureur de bois may at times be somewhat limited.....

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 23 2011 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....back again to moi ob-sair-vash-ee-ohnz of our fearful leader on "Mohicans"--and this is what I did MOST of the time I was on all the different sets--sit or stand around and observe! $Fifty-bux-a-day to do that! Yee-haw! Picture if you will me at the edge of the woods, leaning on my musket(which we Coureur de Bois that stuck around very long were also trained to shoot) chin on my hands, watching all that went on around me, amazed at times, apalled at others, comparing constantly in my mind the behaviour I was observing to wolves, chimps, and baboons(and the humans did not always compare very favorably....)--I got quite the education, that's for certain! One thing I saw a lot of regarding others dealing with the Imperious Leader, was what I have coined the "Trickle-Up Theory", and have had to practice it myself with pompous and egotistical bosses I've had the misfortune to work under during my life. This is when you suggest something sensible that really needs to be considered, and the authority figure that gets to say "yes" or "no", blurts "NO!" before he/she has even had a chance to absorb what was mentioned--I mean it hasn't really even penetrated the synapses of what they have that passes for a brain. This is simply an example of someone supremely dominant in temperment that LOVES the power of being in charge, and really enjoys saying "NO!", forcing their underlings to submit. In other words, if it ain't THEIR idea, you are wasting your time. Very clever people, who care more about getting the job done right than getting credit for anything(because it IS easier in the long run, of course), will hint at and lead their leaders by the nose subliminaly, until THE LEADERS get the idea and then present it as their own--only then can you hope for something to get done with this type of overlly dominant personality. I saw this CONSTANTLY occurring during the filming of "Last Of The Mohicans", learned from it, and it has come in quite handy in my infamous career. Although it IS so much better to get a boss that LOVES for his/her employees to express themselves and HAPPILY gives credit where credit is due--this makes for a MUCH happier and productive pack. And although I saw many people using the "Trickle-Up" tactic on "Mohicans", the BEST that I saw at it, was, I believe, the Director Of Photography, Dante Spinotti--he was a master! Such a friendly and enthusiastic fellow--I don't think even Michael Mann could get mad at him! Which is why I thought, when he showed enthusiasm for my wolf-dogs, he might actually influence THE MANN into using them. But too late, alas--I no doubt blew the chances long before by suggesting it myself point blank to his face(how dare I!)......

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  10:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....do remember when using the Trickle-Up tactics to NEVER allude that such was YOUR or anyone else's idea. When it seems that the Imperious Leader has finally grasped and presented the idea themselves, you must praise them effusivelly--you cannot comment on their GENIUS too much at this point! And if it gets that far, you know it will get done as you wish. You just have to accept YOU ain't gonna git no credit for it. Well, so long as you get a paycheck.....

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  10:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
.....but back to a coupla more Mann encounters before we move on. I'm sure opinions similar to mine regarding this fellow are a well worn rut on this website, from what little other posts/contributions I've read so far, so I won't continue on much longer--humor me and realize that it is probably therapeutic for me to git this out of my system. And be amazed that I still get my hackles up on the subject after 20 years!.....But a coupla funny stories now(?). As I mentioned earlier, we French and Indian Xtras spent DAYS broiling in the hot sun in front of that !@#$%^&*!! fort! Even the smuggled canteens with lukewarm water hidden uhnder our breechclouts didn't alleviate the suffering much--but those wretched soldiers in wool uniforms suffered WAY worse than us Coureur De Bois or the Indians. Though positioned in different spots throughout at the direction of the Imperious Leader(if not up sleeping in the woods), I ended up, by chance RIGHT BEHIND The Mann and his entourage during a lot of the surrender scene(meaning I wasn't on camera, of course). THEY were all set up quite comfortably, of course--those cush director's chairs, umbrellas for shade, and coolers with ice containing any cold drink or cool treat you care to name! And I had to stand there in the sun, hour after hour, and watch the boo-joo royalty indulge their every whim. Things like that just really irk me--an incredible vast gulf between classes on this set, just like the upper class depicted in the movie, ironically. Uppity peasant that I was, I planned to take advantage of my vantage point if the opportunity presented itself, as I figured it would. More method acting, on my part? The Coureur De Bois WERE kinda like pirates of the forest, of course. And inevitably my chance occurred--some minor offense aroused Da Fuhrer, and he was ranting and railing at someone about something. Well knowing that the attention of social primates would be absorbed by the dominant ape's display, I silently and unobtrusively slipped open one of the sacred coolers and filched a drink! I don't think a soul noticed, either. Ha ha! Moi skeel az zee eenveezabull coureur de bois treeumphs agayn! Dang, but that was THE BEST soda I ever guzzled! A single tiny dixie cup of water my arse!

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  11:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
.....and yeah, I WOULD have been CANNED myself had I been caught, such was the schism and tyranny on that set! But zee coureur de bois, yoo knows, LEEVES for zee dahnger! Or perhaps the broiling sun was taking away my good judgement....which may explain what I did next! Or perhaps the sugar rush from the stolen soda had me a bit giddy! The surrender scene was INTERMINABLE, The Mann's well known tendency to get a zillion takes of every miniscule scene, but also because one of the main actors in this scene(my lips are sealed out of respect and sympathy for the fellow) kept flubbing his lines! We irreverant coureur de bois, having heard the lines SO MANY TIMES, WE all knew the lines by heart, and we began chanting them after each cut, "yadda, yadda yadda!"--The Mann WAS NOT amused! I think he really hated us coureur de bois.....I decided to go one step further--"hey!" I approached one of my French comrades,"Let me have your shirt!" He had taken off his white shirt so he had nothing on under his coat, trying to keep cool. I took the white shirt and tied it to the end of my musket. After the next (one-zillionth and five-hundred-and seventy-fifth take on that one scene, my brain FRIED in the blazing summer sun) attempt, when The Mann yelled "Cut!", I held up my musket, trailing the billowing white shirt, waving it back and forth vigorously(keep in mind I was DIRECTLY behind Michael Mann--it was suicidal!) and started yelling in moi OWT-RAH-JOOS Franch akksint, "WEE SURRENDER, YOO EENGLEESH PEEGZ!!! YOO KAHN 'AV YER DAMN FORT! WEE AHR TAHRED UV STANDINK AHROUND EEN ZEE HOT SUN! WEE AHR GOINK BAHCK TO FRAHNCE!!!!" Everyone busted out laughing, EXCEPT, you-know-who...he GLARED at me, totally unamused. But the miracle of the incident was, I was not immediately ushered from the set! Any of you guys out there that were there during the surrender scene--do you remember this incident? I'd love it if someone else still remembered! Yeah, I was THAT crazy guy! Yet somehow, I survived it.....

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  12:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....On other film projects I worked on, such humor would have been quite tolerated, even enjoyed by the Director, regardless of the perpetrator's status. But boy, NOT on "Mohicans"! And sodas and other sustenance was available to EVERYONE as needed--there was no upper class that got them, and everyone else had to do without--of even WATER for goodness sakes! On the "Christy" set, where I was a laborer, one evening I was having to dig a hole that was crucial to the next shot--but it was dinnertime(we ALL ate together under the same tent there; one big family! Stars, producers, directors, Construction, Xtras, EVERYBODY!)--but I REALLY had to get that hole dug--no way around it. I didn't mind so much--those folks were just so nice, I had no problem making a little sacrifice now and then. The PRODUCER(I mean THE head honcho!) came by and wondered why I wasn't down eating dinner with everyone else--I told him I really needed to get that hole dug before the next shot(right after dinner). Oh NO! He couldn't stand THAT! He went HIMSELF, the PRODUCER, and fetched a heaping plate of food for THE SET DITCH DIGGER, and brought it up to me! Now that's also rather unheard of in the anals of Hollywood, but that was par for the course on "Christy"--and because of such basic kindnesses, I HAPPILY busted my butt for those guys--anyhow, anyway! It couldn't have been more opposite from "Mohicans"!!! And sure, the T. V. series "Christy" and a monster-budget movie like "Mohicans" are worlds apart, but I GUARANTEE you "Mohicans" would have not only been a more enjoyable project to work on, but would have been BETTER in the finished product, with everyone's cooperation and good will all working to the same goal, from whatever level. And there are PLENTY of humongo budget major motion pictures with more kindly, respectfully disposed Directors to verify THAT.....

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 24 2011 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, my goodness! You have me sitting here laughing my *** off! Your soda-stealing and white-shirt-waving story is just too funny!

Your writing style is extremely entertaining, Lane. Do you talk that way in person, too?

Btw, I would LOVE to see a good remake of "Drums Along the Mohawk." That is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite old movies.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - October 24 2011 :  2:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Lane's storytelling is getting my mind in gear, too, about things I'd forgotten. When I wrote my reminiscences for the site I also experienced a sort of catharsis where everything just sort of tumbled out in a rush. I typed everything in only a few days, guided by my memories, aided mainly by my photos and datebook; since doing so, that's become canon with me as to "what happened". Reading this though reminds me of other things - things I'd left out for one reason or another.

One thing I'd like to at least comment on is the very vast difference between working on a "major motion picture" like Mohicans or Glory, minor productions like Alamo..., Legacy, or Ironclads, and TV series or miniseries like North and South or The Blue and the Gray. Virtually anything made for TV has a much lower budget, creating a "Wham-bam, Thank-you-ma'm" shooting schedule where time rules over most other considerations: two or three "takes" are all that's allowed for almost every scene. Also, since casts and crews are usually smaller overall, a freer atmosphere prevails. Even in relatively "big budget" TV like the miniseries, we were involved in shooting the "masters", the large-scale scenes involving the entire casts, and STILL only had two takes per scene. The relative "luxury" afforded to Mann of not having a deadline he was forced to observe regardless of anything else also allowed for the self-indulgance that finally alienated almost everyone, like in my story about Patrice Cherau ( "Montcalm" ).

As far as behavior of others in similar positions I saw on other sets, one incident stands out: On a hot day after shooting marching and action scenes in Glory, a storm blew up soaking us to the skin; in the downpour our company of black extras had to march in their now-drenched wool uniforms while carrying rifles and all their gear back to Base Camp. To raise their ( and our! ) spirits, the producer, Freddie Fields, mounted a bicycle and rode along with them! Of course the actors in productions like this aren't the *STARS* as in one like Mohicans either; one night during the filming of Alamo... I was eating in a nice Mexican restaraunt in a Mexican border town when in came three of the principles with a reporter in tow. Casey Biggs ( "Col. Travis" ) came over to where I was sitting by myself and invited ME to join him and Enrique Saldina ( "Santa Anna" ), Steve Sandor ( "Jim Bowie" ), and the lady reporter who was interviewing them! So there ARE nice people in "The Business"!

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yup, Wilderness Woman, I shore do tawlk this yeer way,....oonless ah weesh to speek theez way! Reminds me of my only BIG audition on "Mohicans"(an aside from the subject), the only one I had--they were auditioning for that little bit where the French General's aide reads that bit off a paper--they read SCADS of people for that! Shirley and Theresa, the marvelous LOCAL casting ladies signed me up and I read for the STRANGE(my only, very brief impression) head caster, Bonnie Timmerman(I think that was her name. And I think she was one a them "Goth" kinda folks...) They wanted me to read the part with a French accent! Sacre' Bleu! No probleem! Except, well yeah, I guess there WAS a probleem! I guess my OWT-RAH-JOOS Franch accent eez, well, TOO owt-rah-jeez! She was very blunt, "Could you do that again WITHOUT(said VERY contemptuously!) any SOUTHERN accent??" I couldn't resist, "Boot madamoiselle, ah ahm ah CAJUN!" She was NOT amused. I did NOT get the part.....

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  3:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...And glad to be sparking that memory, James! I hope to hear more stories from others, too! Although I have a LOT to read already on the website! I'd be very curious if anyone on the sets, after reading my stories, has some dim memory of zee krahzee coureur de bois! And James, Hollywood is such a TREACHEROUS business overall, that when you find some really GOOD folks in that business, you have found some REAL JEWELS! As you obviously know!

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 24 2011 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
....And Wilderness Woman, although I'd LOVE to see a good remake of "Drums Along The Mohawk", I'd REALLY LOVE to see an epic true-to-history, big budget movie of our GREATEST of all REAL wilderness heroes of that era--DANIEL BOONE! I heard while "Mohicans" was going on some effort by others to do a Daniel Boone movie was in the works, but nothing ever came of it, apparently. There were also set rumors flying that Michael Mann was planning to do ALL the James Fenimore Cooper Leatherstocking tales--obviously in hindsight just another one of those many set rumors. Another book about the era, more from the French and Abnaki viewpoints I'd LOVE to see brought to film, is the fantastic James Houston novel "Ghost Fox", about a young girl in that era kidnapped by the Abnaki Indians--SUPER BOOK! Highly recommended(if someone hasn't already deep, deep in the archives of this website!). In fact, I had read and reread "Ghost Fox" before I was on "Mohicans", and used it to imagine my point-of-view as a coureur de bois among the Abnaki and Huron and other pro-French Indians--yes, I was play-pretending at "method acting", but more in fun than in seriousness. Get that book, if you haven't already!(quite cheap on Amazon....)

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 24 2011 :  7:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For anyone looking for movies about that period of time, you might want to take a look at Canada: A People's History, Episode 4 and perhaps Episode 3 as well. It's a documentary, but a good one. A perspective from the "right" side.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2011 :  12:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bonnie Timmerman is just about the "biggest" casting director in the business. Her name is on many, many movie credits. I would imagine that her snippy attitude comes from a lot of years of dealing with unknown and very bad actors who are hoping to be discovered. Not pointing any fingers at you, Lane! Just sayin'...

Fitz, I don't know about that documentary telling the story from the "right side," but I do agree with you that it is very well done. I really enjoyed it. As I watched it, I was struck by how closely the histories of Canada and America parallel each other. So different, yet so much the same.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

lane batot
Colonial Settler

USA

October 15 2011

Posted - October 25 2011 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Fitzhugh Williams, I'll put that on my list; I LOVE documentary stuff like that!...And Wilderness Woman--yeah, no doubt about Mrz. Timmerman, but the local casting ladies Shirley Crumley and Theresa and Kammook had to interview/screen/put up with every bit as much--yea, probably MORE, and they were always kind, polite, and respectful. On this and other projects I've worked on that involved Hollywood and other"Yengeese"("Yankees") from outside the South--there ALWAYS seems to be this immediate contempt towards the local "hillbillies". If you speak with any trace of a Southern accent, you are IMMEDIATELY rated somewhat lower than a plow mule on the intellectual scale! I LOVE to tweak the "politically correct" types, which these folks usually are(though quite hypocritically and ironically, they can be prejudiced towards Southerners or country folks, and that's okay, somehow!), and I often have a FIELD DAY pushing their buttons! I always hope, in the end, to teach them a bit of a lesson, and bring them down off'n their high horses. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes NOTHING can penetrate those concrete thick urban skulls. Alas, but Mrz. Timmermann seemed to DRIP contempt for us locals! And alas, I got ushered out too fast to get to "play" with her! But I have a feeling she would have been one of those impenetrable ones.....
  Previous Topic: Zee EENVEEZABLE Courer de bois! Topic Next Topic: The Sweet SMELL of Success?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07