The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 3:22:14 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Historic Sites Damaged!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Fort Howard, Green Bay, Wisc. Topic Next Topic: A Misaligned Fort William Henry  

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 15 2011 :  6:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you -- Rich, Seamus, and possibly Fitz -- are very familiar with these two sites in the Mohawk Valley of New York. I am so sad to report that they were both flooded during the rampage of Hurricane Irene the last weekend of August, and one of them was very severely damaged.

Old Fort Johnson, near Amsterdam, was the first home of Sir William Johnson, the Indian Agent who befriended the Mohawks. It is a beautiful stone house that sits on lovely grounds overlooking the Mohawk River. Old fort Johnson. Efforts are well underway to get it cleaned up and restored. The grounds were flooded again last weekend when the next tropical storm came through, which is the one that hit my area so hard.

Guy Park Manor in Amsterdam was the home of Guy Johnson, the nephew of Sir William. Guy was also married to Sir William's daughter, Mary. The main part of the current limestone house was built in 1773 after the original wooden structure was struck by lightening and burned. The two wings of the house were added in the early part of the 19th century. Irene really wreaked havoc on this house.
Guy Park Manor. Work had just begun to shore up the damaged corner of the house when the flood came again.

And while not as old, it was equally as beautiful. In Schoharie County, the Old Blenheim Covered Bridge was completely destroyed and washed away. The bridge was built in 1855, and boasted the longest single span support of any wooden covered bridge in the world.
Blenheim Bridge
The final photo on this page shows the support pillars -- all that remains of the bridge.

The fury of Mother Nature and of water is not to be taken lightly. Nothing is immune.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 15 2011 :  7:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sure hope they fix Fort Johnson back right. I like that a lot better than Johnson Hall.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - September 15 2011 :  8:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a shame WW, - really hate to see that damage. That bridge was really impressive, - while it certainly won't be the same, hope it gets replaced with a replica.

you can keep "The Change"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 17 2011 :  1:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Awful, just awful.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 24 2011 :  5:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They haven't wasted any time getting started on the cleanup at Old Fort Johnson. They've posted many photos of the process on their Facebook page, and it is pretty impressive. Those of you who are on Facebook, just do a search on Old Fort Johnson, and you should find it. The volunteers are extremely dedicated and have put in many hours, with many more to go.

They've called in a professional company that has the proper dehumidifying equipment to make certain that all of the moisture is gotten out from behind the original wood wainscoting. The machines they use have thin tubes that are inserted at intervals underneath the paneling. They have other machines that weigh down the wood floors as they draw the moisture out, to prevent buckling and warping.

The wonderful old privy that was washed over onto its side still stays as it lays, but they will get to it. It should be fine and easy to put back onto its foundation.

Good progress, but expensive! They need financial help for sure.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 24 2011 :  6:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would hope they had insurance.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 25 2011 :  10:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would assume so, Fitz, but I have not seen any mention of it. Of course, historic sites can always use money, and it seems that insurance never covers everything.

The fortunate thing is that they had moved all of the collections to the 2nd floor in advance of the rising waters, so that is all safe and dry.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - September 25 2011 :  12:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

and it seems that insurance never covers everything.

Actually it should. Most insurance companies will only write a policy for replacement value coverage. My daughter's house burned, and we had to completely document every item in the house. Then she purchased new or, in the case of some antiques, had them refinished. The whole thing did not cost her anything. Even paid for a rental house for 18 months. I checked with my agent to make sure we had the same coverage, and the agent said that they will not write a police for anything else. So, other than the paperwork the staff will have to do, everything else should be covered.

Previous Topic: Fort Howard, Green Bay, Wisc. Topic Next Topic: A Misaligned Fort William Henry  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07