The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 3:27:48 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Is anyone planning to watch the A&E movie?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Pics From Upcoming Russell Crowe Film Topic Next Topic: Favorite Movies
Page: of 2

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - January 15 2003 :  02:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
When it comes to closing a frizzen and pulling the gun to full cock, there is just no excuse for this kind of inaccuracy. Especially when the scene will be used for a close up.

When it comes to throwing hawks, etc., it's hard to beat Russell Means and the blue hockey stick!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 15 2003 :  06:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So ... you think I should try & catch this one, then?!? Sounds like a good one!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2003 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sure, Rich... give it a go! That is if you enjoy being:

Frustrated...

Confused...

Bored...
Or

Angry!
It will fulfill all of those for you!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 15 2003 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep! WW--

........or have the choice of:

1) Watching the thing, or,
2) Having a sharp stick poked in your eye.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - January 15 2003 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Scott,

"Kenneth Roberts did a good job with Arnold. Was it Rabble in Arms? (It's been a long time.)"

Actually, Roberts featured Arnold in three of his novels:

ARUNDEL - the story of the March to Quebec and the siege;

RABBLE IN ARMS - the two years from the retreat from Quebec to Saratoga;

OLIVER WISWELL - the story of the Revolution from the point of view of a young loyalist. He meets Arnold after he changes sides.

Roberts' fascinating defense/explanation of Arnold comes from RABBLE, and if I remember right he goes into more detail in his autobiography I WANTED TO WRITE. Although few, if any, historians entirely buy Roberts' arguments, they were truly revolutionary (pun intended) for their day, and still give one food for thought.

TWO KETTLES

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 16 2003 :  08:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Originally posted by Scott,

"Kenneth Roberts did a good job with Arnold. Was it Rabble in Arms? (It's been a long time.)"

Originally posted by Two Kettles

"Roberts' fascinating defense/explanation of Arnold comes from RABBLE..."

I am glad to read these comments, because I recently ordered paperback versions, from Amazon, of Arundel and Rabble In Arms, hoping that they would be something I would enjoy. It sounds as though they will be. As soon as I finish reading Howard Fast's Bunker Hill (formerly published as Seven Days in June), I will begin!

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - January 17 2003 :  1:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW,

I think you're in for a real treat. Although he's not talked about much today, Roberts was considered one of the finest American writers of his day (30s-50s). And, in some cases, his historical fiction was more accurrate than the "straight" history being written at the time. I read "Arundel" and am just amazed that it was his first novel - although he had been a nonfiction writer/journalist for a number of years. He really had a knack for storytelling.

Two Kettles

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 17 2003 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, Super! I can't wait to begin! It takes me a while to get through a book, due mainly to time constraints, but I will let you know what I think.
Ciao.
WW

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 18 2003 :  08:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep, thanks TK, it was the treatment in Rabble I was thinking of.

I re-read Oliver Wiswell a few months ago. The same copy I first read nearly forty years ago. It had been sitting in the back of my trunk since we cleared out my dad's house a few years back.

Still a very good read. The first time though, had an eye-opening impact for someone raised with the standard patriot's-eye view of the Revolution. Of course, I was never one to accept the status quo as gospel, and the rest of that decade turned the world upside down.

I'd love to see this one made into a movie by someone who knows what they're about.

~~Aim small, miss small.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Pics From Upcoming Russell Crowe Film Topic Next Topic: Favorite Movies  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07