The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/4/2024 11:45:06 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Favorite Movies
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Is anyone planning to watch the A&E movie? Topic Next Topic: Benedict Arnold  

Robert Asher
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 09 2002

Posted - September 09 2002 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
My favorite movies

Robert Asher

Choices:

The Last of the Mohicans
Rob Roy
Braveheart
Drums along the Mohawk
Patriot
Dances with Wolves
D-Day
Memphis Bell

report to moderator

Robert Asher
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

September 09 2002

Posted - September 09 2002 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess The Memphis Bell just reminded me of my uncle Paul, he flew 31 mission in a B-17. He shared alog of storys with me.

The Scotsman
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - September 16 2002 :  12:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Have never heard of Drums along the Mohawk. Could you please tell me more about it or where I might find a copy to rent?

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - September 16 2002 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It takes place during RevWar and stars Henry Fonda.My version is in B/W.I wasn't overly impressed by it.I believe that I got mine from Amazon.com EM

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 13 2002 :  11:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was quite interested to note that you included "Drums Along The Mohawk" in your list. I have a personal attachment to that story. Not so much the movie, which was probably considered to be quite good when it was made back in the 30's (I think it was). Now, of course, it is terribly outdated, and a little comical in places that are not meant to be comical, as old movies can be.

The real charmer, however, is the book of the same name. It was written in 1936 by Walter D. Edmonds, and takes place in the Mohawk Valley of New York, during the early part of the Rev. War. It is very well written and is quite historically accurate in its portrayal of several incidents which occurred there, including Adam Helmer's Run and the Battle of Oriskany (Aug. 6, 1777).

My personal attachment is that I had ancestors who were German Palatines and settled that part of the Mohawk Valley. Two of my 6th great-grandfathers were in the Tryon County Militia, and were in the Battle of Oriskany. Both were near 60 years old at the time, and one was severly wounded but survived. Mr. Edmonds made mention of the Snell Family (one of my ancestral families), which lost 7 members in the battle.

If you have the opportunity to see the movie, which is occasionally shown on the Turner Classic Movies channel, by all means do watch it... just for fun. But I do highly recommend the book, which I believe is back in print now.

Ciao!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - January 07 2003 :  4:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, a wee bit excited here...I grew up about 10 miles from Oriskany! Can't comment on Drums...it's been so long since I've seen it, don't recall much.

daire

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 07 2003 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You did!?! Then you Must read Drums Along the Mohawk, by all means! Do your family roots go deep there? If so, the book will touch your soul, as it did mine.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 08 2003 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You should all see a movei called "Black Robe". It is set in New France in 1634, but it gives the most accurate portrayal of NA I have seen. It sits next to LOTM on my DVD cabinet.

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - January 08 2003 :  7:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wilderness Woman: Nope, no family roots there but our "temporary" ones, LOL (half of mine go to Italy, the other half, various other places in Western Europe before 1740...when my 8-times grandfather came over; his son (my 7x-gf) was Gen. John Sevier, 1st Gov. of Tenn. Ah, sorry for the ramble!). Though I still have a good friend who still lives in the area in NY. I know I've seen the B&W movie; I'll have to put Drums on my To Be Read pile. LOTM is on it; I tried and my brain wasn't in the mood for the dense verbiage. heh heh

daire
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07