The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 7:27:14 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Rogers Island, Fort Edward, N. Y.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Real Saratoga Topic Next Topic: Fort Montgomery State Park, N. Y.  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - November 21 2009 :  2:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another place I revisited on my October vacation to Upstate New York was the site of Fort Edward, where Webb allegedly cowered and to which the survivors of The Massacre flocked. It was pretty much as I remembered it, with the welcome addition of directional signs, parking, and a relatively new Visitor Center, which was unfortunately already closed for the season. ( Don't be misled into thinking the "reconstructed" stockade and blockhouse behind it are anything other than a demonstration area close to the parking lot, though. )

Now called Rogers Island Park, the ugly and annoying oil storage drums have been removed, making it more "visitor-friendly". Access to the actual site of the interior of the fort is unfortunately still hidden behind a railroad embankment, but if you KNOW it's there, it's quite accessable. I left my car in the parking lot and walked the entire length of the island and back. My main complaint as a "tourist" is the severe lack of signage or any on-the-ground indication of what you're looking at. There HAS been a little development, however, with relatively new monuments honoring the British troops, Rogers' Rangers, and one indicating the site of a cemetery. I'm glad to see at least some local effort to preserve and interpret what seems a little-known ( except to US! ) site.

Image Insert:

86.54KB

Image Insert:

71.4KB

Image Insert:

57.34KB

Image Insert:

56.1KB

Image Insert:

87.37KB
report to moderator
  Previous Topic: The Real Saratoga Topic Next Topic: Fort Montgomery State Park, N. Y.  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07