The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 5:22:24 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Fort Montgomery State Park, N. Y.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Rogers Island, Fort Edward, N. Y. Topic Next Topic: re post of Fort Snelling Pics  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - November 20 2009 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just returned from the first vacation to Upstate N. Y. I've made in over a decade. ( The very first was in 1992 to see where what we had filmed in North Carolina had REALLY occurred: Ft.s William Henry, Crown Point, Ticonderoga; Saratoga, etc. ) This time I rented a car at Newark and put almost 1000 mi. on it revisiting all those plus others lower down the Hudson. I was most pleased and pleasantly surprised at what I found at this relatively NEW state park, scene of a major battle in Sir Henry Clinton's brief attempt to create a "diversion" in Burgoyne's favor during the Saratoga Campaign.

Previously, the nearby smaller Ft. Clinton ( named for either the American George or James, not Sir Henry! ) had been "developed" almost to extinction as part of Bear Mountain State Park. ( The main work was destroyed in building the western support for Bear Mountain Suspension Bridge in the 1920's. ) Only a well-defined outwork and a small museum remained as part of what is basically operated as a zoo and local nature center; nevertheless it's a beautiful place right on bluffs above the Hudson in the Highland Narrows across from the promontory known as Anthony's Nose.

But NOW the much larger and more important Ft. Montgomery ( named for Richard, killed in the assault on Quebec ) has been developed into a wonderful site which I think eclipses the better-known Stony Point a few miles to the south. There is a very good museum with a better display of artifacts, both excavated and otherwise, including some really excellent and lifelike mannequins displaying Revolutionary garb. Park personnel seemed knowledgeable; I followed one in the uniform of the New York Line as he gave a guided walk to a remarkably quiet, respectful, and attentive group of what I took to be Middle School students on a field trip. A somewhat arduous trail links this site with Bear Mountain and Ft. Clinton which is just to the south across the Popolopen Creek Gorge. Wisely, there has been no attempt to reconstruct any of the exposed and well-preserved foundations and earthworks which have somehow survived in a remarkable state of preservation.

With the development of this site, it makes the entire action much clearer for the average tourist who might well be too distracted by the adjascent scenery, bridge, and zoo over at Bear Mountain. The biggest revelation for me with my bit of knowledge is that the existing Route 9W going north from Bear Mountain to the modern villiage of Ft. Montgomery actually bisects the original fort, which was quite large. I'd actually driven through Ft. Montgomery before without realizing it!

Image Insert:

71.55KB

Image Insert:

80.85KB
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 21 2009 :  09:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting about this site, James. I am ashamed to say that I was not aware that it existed. I think I need to plan a little road trip, perhaps next spring, as it is only 3 hours from me.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 21 2009 :  11:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad you liked it, WW! Of course, most of the visitors to this area are NYC residents seeking to get out of the city in the summer. The 1915 Bear Mountain Inn is currently undergoing restoration; but there are other nice facilities right in the park too, from 1930's era stone "lodges" to a nice 1960's motel-style building set against the mountain. Adjacent to them is Hessian Lake, a wartime feature of the battle with a nice gentle hiking trail around it I availed myself of on a brisk fall morning. I "discovered" all this on a previous trip and fell immediately in love with the rustic-lodge-style Inn itself. Where else can you actually stay ON a Revoultionary battlefield?

Ft. Montgomery is adjacent to the north past a traffic circle and across the Popolopen Gorge. There is a sudden turn to the right into the downhill parking lot; but if you miss it, there are places to turn around. Most of the site is near the river bluff, consisting of preserved earthworks and foundations, with the main river battery ( shown ) mounting several reproduction guns of various calibers on accurate "garrison" carriages. There are lots of nice, NEW signs explaining what you're seeing; and all are linked by good trails for those who ( like me ) want to "see it all".

Here are a few more pictures to whet your appetite!

Image Insert:

67.61KB

Image Insert:

78.02KB

Image Insert:

83.24KB

Image Insert:

85.15KB

Image Insert:

76.77KB

Image Insert:

74.86KB
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Rogers Island, Fort Edward, N. Y. Topic Next Topic: re post of Fort Snelling Pics  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07