The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 10:14:15 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Mel Gibson's "The Passion"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Legendary Filmaker Topic Next Topic: Return of the King related band
Page: of 4

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 24 2004 :  12:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No problem, Lainey! I'll look forward to your review.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 29 2004 :  6:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I finally saw this ...

It's a hard movie to review - in the manner of most movies. All I care to say about it at this time is that I cried, or was on the verge, through practically the entire film. It is awesomely powerful stuff. Made me tremble ...

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 03 2004 :  02:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The Passion of the Christ ... 'review' it? It's a film, of course, but it's not really something that is viewed. It's experienced.

Beautiful photography ... beautiful music ... very, very artistic production that remains the Gospel Truth. The violence was never gratuitous & graphically brutal as it was, it could not have been less so. Christ's actual suffering was still greater than what we see.

To hear Aramaic & Latin spoken was sweetly musical. The film could never have been as powerful without these languages [even the 'low Latin' spoken by the Roman soldiers was perfect in its coarseness]. The subtitles were necessary - if only to engage in the fullness of every moment. The conversation between Pontius Pilate & his wife Claudia on veritas ... it was too rich & too important to just hope an audience would understand Pilate's turmoil & almost painful vexation over 'what is truth?' & 'can you know it if you don't hear it?' - & Claudia's reply. [This is taken from an extra-scriptural source ... Anne Catherine Emmerich's writings, and I think it is one of the finest scenes in the film.]

Or when Mary, Christ's Mother, & Mary Magdelene awake with a jolt and say in turn ... 'Why is this night different from any other? Because we were slaves and are slaves no longer.' ... it is part of the spoken rites of the Jewish Pasch. It is a very beautiful way of reminding us that this was the night of Passover & connecting the ancient Paschal celebration to the Paschal Lamb who was now being sacrificed. It was done with great poignancy.

Hearing the words of Christ that are familiar to so many spoken in the tongue with which He actually spoke them was moving.

Mary, played by Maia Morgenstern ... this is the most incredible perfect portrayal of the Mother of Christ I have ever seen. She [Maia] captured the essence of The Virgin in every way - very beautiful to see this as it does introduce Mary to so many who have not yet really known her despite her pivotal & clear presence in Scripture - and of course, her uniquely special relationship to Christ & her role in salvation. This is not a timid Mary, but a very strong woman who has clearly united her will perfectly to God's. It is not a passively weeping, broken Mary, but a Mother whose sorrows are so deep & so painful her every tear evokes its own great passion. Where we usually see Madonna portrayals that are bordering on Bible cut-outs, [Olivia Hussey's portrayal was beautiful, too, but Maia Morgenstern has fully, fully captured the qualities of Christ's Mother] here we have the most compassionate Mother reaching out & comforting all around her who are overcome with grief while her own heart is so wounded. There is a particular look she gives to Claudia that really is the look of the consoling Madonna. Always knowing what her son, Jesus Christ, was born to do, we see her almost unable to bear her Son's pain but bearing it all the way to Calvary anyway. She walks the Via Dolorosa with her Son, giving Him strength & consolation to finish what He came to do - urging Him on really while she weeps. Ready to collapse at one point she sees Her son as a little child falling, she runs to Him to comfort Him. This incredible tender hearted memory gives her the strength to pick herself up & run to Christ who has fallen with His cross. Calling to Him, "Y'shua! I'm here!" ... she falls down to Him & He says, "Look, Mother, I make all things new again." The look between them ... this scene is the most strikingly beautiful, heart wrenching moment in the film I think. If this doesn't bring a deep, deep, deep cry to your heart I don't know that anything will. It is unforgettable ... haunting. He is all her in His humanity - 'Flesh of her Flesh, Heart of her Heart.' Gibson's "Passion" is really a contemplation of the Passion of Christ experienced through His Mother & in her eyes & heart & sorrow.

Maia Morgenstern deserves accolades, awards, & respect for what s

"Fides et Ratio"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 03 2004 :  05:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with your "review" on all counts. Splendidly done, all around.

Lainey, the only thing that perplexed me, if you care to explain, was the presence of the Devil. Particularly, the scene where he was holding that "baby" ... can you educate me on this?

Oh, one other thing. When Christ was first taken, a couple of the Disciples struggle mightily. This is a different portrayal of the scene than any other I recall. What is that based upon?

Lainey
TGAT

USA

May 18 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 03 2004 :  2:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I agree with your "review" on all counts. Splendidly done, all around.

Lainey, the only thing that perplexed me, if you care to explain, was the presence of the Devil. Particularly, the scene where he was holding that "baby" ... can you educate me on this?

Oh, one other thing. When Christ was first taken, a couple of the Disciples struggle mightily. This is a different portrayal of the scene than any other I recall. What is that based upon?

The way Satan was presented [an androgynous being - the maggot crawling from the nose to show the interior decay or rottenness] & portrayed by Rosalinda Celentano was yet another triumphal aspect of Gibson's vision. Always present [& unseen save by Christ & Mary] & tempting even Christ, who was True Man as well as True God. The temptations, though vain, were made against the Son of Man in futile hope He'd turn away from His suffering & death so that all would be lost. Christ was tempted & taunted during His 40 days in the desert, too, according to the Gospels.

The grotesque demonic 'baby' was particularly noteworthy since Satan seduces & tempts with that which appeals to us, or seems beautiful. What he ultimately does, though, is to mock the Divine. Always - his is a perverse imitation of what is good & holy. With the 'baby' he was mocking the Madonna & Christ Child.

The Garden of Gethsemane - where the Temple guards came with Judas to seize Christ - this too is a Gospel account of the arrest. Christ's disciples, including His twelve Apostles, did not yet understand why or what was actually going to happen in terms of the Kingdom of God which Christ preached. The Apostles who were with Christ the night He was betrayed had not yet understood that He was to become the Sacrificial Lamb ... that He had to die. They fought & were enraged. Peter cut off a Temple guard's ear. Christ stopped him from further struggle & then healed the severed ear.

What a film it is ...

"Fides et Ratio"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 03 2004 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
With the 'baby' he was mocking the Madonna & Christ Child.

Yes, and to take your analysis a little farther, a friend of mine from work, who saw the movie, said that he felt Satan was taunting God. By caressing and showing tenderness to the "baby" he was in essence saying to God: See how kind and loving I am to my child? See? I would never do to my child what you are doing to yours.

Thank you, Lainey. That was beautiful.

securemann
Deerslayer

offer of peace
USA

July 08 2002

Posted - April 03 2004 :  11:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Satan enjoys mocking God every chance he gets.One example would be the Black Mass which is Satanic and is a blasphemous parody of the Holy Mass instituted by Christ.The Eucharist is desecrated during this evil service along with other blasphemous rituals right out of Hell.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Legendary Filmaker Topic Next Topic: Return of the King related band  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07