The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 4:26:43 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Cora's shooting skills
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A Compliment. Topic Next Topic: Just saying HELLO here for the first time!  

sidony
Pioneer

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
June 21 2002

Posted - December 01 2002 :  8:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been so long since I've read LOTM that I can't remember if Cora in the book could shoot, and load a gun, like the film Cora. Colonel Munroe seems like an old fashioned type, I have difficulty seeing him teaching his daughters how to shoot. In the film, Alice doesn't know how to shoot, but then she probably wouldn't have wanted to learn!:)
report to moderator

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - December 02 2002 :  06:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think Cora learned how to load a gun with Hawkeye while they were hiding in the forest from the French, he passed her powder and she loaded but she never used it, so it was still loaded for when she used it in the massacre scene. I doubt she was taught how to use a gun, but she was smart so she knew a gun would be useful to her - just in case. I guess when Hawkeye rescued them she didnt know if she could trust him then or not.

It wouldnt suprise me if she knew a little about guns though, coming from a military family.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - December 03 2002 :  10:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
no, in the book cora did nothing but...erm..."clasp alice to her bosom"....
MM just made her use the gun so she would appear more courageous and glorious then she really was.

Le Poisson Rouge Seudois du Chaos
Conspiracy of One

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 06 2002 :  4:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I dont think that she knew how to use the gun either...but, she could always threaten everyone with it, how are they supposed to know that she doesnt know how to use it?

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - December 07 2002 :  12:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
they'd figure it out when instead of shooting someone she starts...erm...to quote myself from up there:
quote:
"clasping alice to her bosom"

Conspiracy of One

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  7:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see your point, but i mean towards the more, man to man combat type thing. If someone tries to scalp her and the like, point the gun at there forehead and demand away!

-Cora Munro

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  9:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
erm...remember the battle right after the "retreat from fort WH" she just let herself be taken, hoping natty would get there in time to save her....

Conspiracy of One

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 11 2002 :  7:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Natty comes to save her...I'm sure many of us would die for that position...*ahem ahem*...don't exactly blame her (no no no no no no...not that no no no no no)

-Cora Munro
  Previous Topic: A Compliment. Topic Next Topic: Just saying HELLO here for the first time!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07