The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 7:31:56 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 different versions of the movie?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Yet  Another Word on Alice & Uncas Tryst Topic Next Topic: Why Cora and Alice were left behind under the falls?  

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 04 2008

Posted - May 04 2008 :  12:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. First of all let me say what a fantastic place is this site! Recently I watched LOTM for the first time in about 8 years and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more this time than the first time, so it's great to meet fellow enthusiasts.

Anyway my dilema is thus: I have read that there are several versions of the movie, and I'm confused as to which one I've got (I recorded it from a satelite channel), and where to get the original, not-edited-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life version. imdb states that there are two versions, one is 112mins and the other is 117m, but apparently there's an even longer original version? If anyone has the latter, what extra stuff does it contain, and is it worth buying? If it's simply extended shots of scenery then I wouldn't be interested.

Btw if this question has been asked before, please excuse my newbie-ness lol!

Thanks!
report to moderator

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - May 05 2008 :  3:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am only aware of the theatrical cut and the slightly extended version that was released several years ago. I have the extended version but enjoyed the theatrical version more.
Anybody know any more about this?
Maybe the longer version contains the mythical Uncas/Alice love scene?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've read that Mann's original version clocked in around three hours but critics thought that audiences would never be able to pay attention for that long, so he cut it down to its current length. The original, three-hour version was never released to theaters or video.

The version of LOTM that Mann released to theaters is available in the US only on video cassette; the only DVD version available in the states is the extended director's cut. Somewhere on this site is another discussion of a third version played on television. If I can find that forum I'll post it . . . .

Here we go. A few links to discussions of this question:
On the extended version:
http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3752&SearchTerms=version

More on the extended version:
http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3219&SearchTerms=version

A discussion of what the TV version is lacking:
http://www.mohicanpress.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2775

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - May 05 2008 :  8:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Part of the confusion exists because people such as myself who worked on LOTM have talked about various scenes or parts of scenes we well remember filming, but which were never included in any version. I still have a copy of the script ( which I am looking at as I write this ), and it resembles a rainbow, due to its variously colored individual pages. Each color denotes a different revision. The script is in a 3-ring binder, to enable the revised pages to be inserted where necessary. The various revisions I have are dated from 11/29/90 to 08/12/91; doubtless there were many others after I left the production.

In fact, it is normal on any production ( but especially on one headed by someone as manic as Michael Mann ) to recieve daily revisions to the script. This is done in the course of filming to reflect various changes of plot or dialog, along with certain considerations of setting such as weather, etc. Often the changes are minimal, such as the addition/deletion/alteration of a single word or line of dialog. This still requires the change to copies of the script of the altered page. Post-production, changes continue to be made through the editing process.

Considering all this, which then is the "One and only true" version of any project as ephemerial as a motion picture? I'm quite sure the moguls of the past had no idea their products would be eternally available through the medium of VHS and DVD for endless dissection on message boards such as this. Imagine what D. W. Griffith or C. B. DeMille would think of all this!

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - May 06 2008 :  7:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lilyvonstudt

Anyway my dilema is thus: I have read that there are several versions of the movie, and I'm confused as to which one I've got (I recorded it from a satelite channel), and where to get the original, not-edited-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life version.

Does your version have the Clannad song? That song was on the original that was released in theatres, but, foolishly, in my opinion, was not included on the (just slightly) longer version released on DVD. I think what they often show on satellite and cable channels is a combination of both--they take what they think is best from both versions and that's what we see. I have one version on VHS, one version on DVD and a 3rd version on DVR from my satellite channel (which is why I can't change satellite companies because I couldn't stand to lose my recorded version!)

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - May 06 2008 :  11:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone, and James N thanks for the info. I did read the stuff about the expanded version vs the theatrical version which is why I'm confused because as winglo said it must be a combination of both versions, because there is the song by Clannad (version A) but when Chingachgook kills Magua there is no weapon goes through Magua's back (version B), and apparently this is not absent in the version A. Thanks again guys!

leiamero
Lost in the Wilderness

May 07 2008

Posted - May 07 2008 :  12:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hi, i recently saw LOTM in about 10 years, and I must admitt it haunts me. but yes I heard there are two versions; it was rumored the love story between ucans and alice was extended (it was the cave scene, there was suppose to be a sex scene with alice and ucans) and so was uncas funeral. IMB.com has a listing of the difference and wikipedia also has a list. but I am told the 1999 release does not have any selections of deleted scenes.

LM

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

February 02 2008

Posted - May 07 2008 :  6:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by leiamero

hi, i recently saw LOTM in about 10 years, and I must admitt it haunts me. but yes I heard there are two versions; it was rumored the love story between ucans and alice was extended (it was the cave scene, there was suppose to be a sex scene with alice and ucans) and so was uncas funeral. IMB.com has a listing of the difference and wikipedia also has a list. but I am told the 1999 release does not have any selections of deleted scenes.

Hey,James N.,winglo,RedFraggle, lilyvonstudt,leiamero and susquesus
Thankyou so much for this also..and all the info too...always interesting to find out new info on the film...and yes the film is haurnting....amazing peice of work by all....so the cave scene was the love scene -i heard rumours and glad to know this info...they made scene so short in the final edit of them both-Alice/Uncas in the cave aswell..so anoyed as Uncas just reached out at her and held her so passionately also...kissing her stroking her hair..with them both clutched to each other-but like i say such a short scene with so much inpact...involved from both actors...such a shame Mann had to cut out that love scene, realy is... Would bring plenty music to all ears i think....ringing *Please Mann -We need to see the exstended version please.....or maybe the scenes were never performed and filmed...dose anyone know if they were/not.

And definately agree with you there susquesus-the love scenes...
Mann should realy re-do a special edition dvd for all regions as i am in the uk....i have the Dvd and video...-vintage video...as old as the film..i do know...brought when the film came out in the arly 90's.

I think maybe we should get a petition going on the exstended version being put onto Special Edition Dvd-its time now Mann should do this i feel-Please do get back to me on this dear freinds....
I also have an Eric Schweig Petition going-for an acheivement award for Eric..getting names down-for more info....private email me and i will forward info.

Hi,im very much Interested in joining you all.I would love to know more about this venture.This would be my first time/so making new freinds in this community would be amazing.

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - May 07 2008 :  6:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Michelle, I doubt the love scenes between Alice and Uncus made it past the written stage due to the fact that Jodhi May was only about 15 at the time, and I read that her mother was on set to always make sure her daughter never did anything too risque (as Alice). What i'm dreaming of is a love scene involving Magua, jajaja!! But sadly that wasn't even in the script!! >:

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

February 02 2008

Posted - May 07 2008 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey!
lilyvonstudt...Well im very suprised...as apparently-there is a exstended version..heard so much just wanted to be certain....but I am intouch with James/afew other close memebers i talk i talk to on here-but if this so true -due to Jodhi's age-her mum on set aswell gosh how imbaressing-especially with Eric around-doing scenes-bless her i would be so shy with him at that age-150she is so luck to of got the part....so i will get talking with him if i catch him online or i will..pm him,but thankyou for the reply so quick .....much apreciated....and whats this about Magua, jajaja!!

Hi,im very much Interested in joining you all.I would love to know more about this venture.This would be my first time/so making new freinds in this community would be amazing.

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

February 02 2008

Posted - May 07 2008 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Please excuse my writing skills/spelling...its past midnight and i do work online...was in a car accident recently....acouple of weeks back and my rist/nuckles are numb/ abit still....and painful at times..

And very close to getting into another car accident also at the week-end,i guess i must have nine lives ha ha ha

I should rest....but i have done and rest more....later.

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle

Hey!
lilyvonstudt...Well im very suprised...as apparently-there is a exstended version..heard so much just wanted to be certain....but I am intouch with James/afew other close memebers i talk i talk to on here-but if this so true -due to Jodhi's age-her mum on set aswell gosh how imbaressing-especially with Eric around-doing scenes-bless her i would be so shy with him at that age-150she is so luck to of got the part....so i will get talking with him if i catch him online or i will..pm him,but thankyou for the reply so quick .....much apreciated....

no problem :)

quote:
and whats this about Magua, jajaja!!

See my other thread Yeah, my friends neither don't quite understand the fascination lol.

lilyvonstudt
Pathfinder

May 04 2008

Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle

Please excuse my writing skills/spelling...its past midnight and i do work online...

student? Or online retailer?

quote:

was in a car accident recently....acouple of weeks back and my rist/nuckles are numb/ abit still....and painful at times..

sorry to hear that hon! I wish you a speedy recovery :)

quote:

And very close to getting into another car accident also at the week-end,i guess i must have nine lives ha ha ha

well either you're incredibly lucky or incredibly unlucky. You choose jeje!

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

February 02 2008

Posted - May 08 2008 :  10:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

HEY-lilyvonstudt,

I am not a student/i am a promoter/actor/singer and song writer and artist-love horse riding and history-being that my ancestors-come from a Native Tribe-but enjoy history also in general...suprised you *HUH*And ilove music...and flims.

*HoPE YOU ENjOyed My LitTle Bio TheRe*

Oh and the accident...was lucky indeed.

Previous Topic: Yet  Another Word on Alice & Uncas Tryst Topic Next Topic: Why Cora and Alice were left behind under the falls?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07