The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 8:21:59 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Uncas, your thoughts on his behaviour
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Uncas/Alice Waterfall Scene Topic Next Topic: Update to Earlier post Including Photo
Page: of 2

Michelle
Pioneer

Mask
United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 02 2008

Posted - May 18 2008 :  11:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michelle's Homepage  Click to see Michelle's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirachi

Ok, this may have been touched upon before but having a quick scan back through the topics I couldn't see anything that stood out.

So, the question is, why do you think Uncas didn't wait for his father before running after Alice?

Do you think he thought he could win the battle ahead easily?

Was he worried for Alice's safety?

Did he think his brother would need his father's help to escape the village?

I personally don't understand his mind set at this point in the movie. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and has seen a lot of fightening during his short life.

Surely the extra 10/20 minutes that the Huron party got ahead of them was not that huge a distance really. Was he so certain they would kill Alice on the cliffs? to me this thought seems unlikely as they were making for somewhere new, taking her with them for whatever ends.

I love the fact it's all very romantic though and in the end is that the reason?

Discuss!

Hi Kirachi afew great points there....i totally agree-he never took much thought-about consquences in going after Alice-by himself...But if you noticed-he did put his hand on his fathers shoulder with faith i guess...ad went after her...running up the hill like a mad Puppy inlove-Bless....but he definately had feelings Kirachi-its so obvious-even when they are climbing at the side cliff...he looks at her from a distance...she notices-and its an over wheleming momement-he even takes a second look-at her if you notice in the film...
I do question...though,they had notplanned to kill Alice straigt away....as Uncas caught upwith them also....blocking them getting through...as he jumped out on them all....where was his riffle...agree definately he should've shot Magua-not having a knife fight...this was wrong-uncas had no-chance...pluss he was so angry-and hurt-he had confused feelings at this point also...with Alice on his mind-yes he felt he had a duty for sure...but also to protect someone he realy had feelings for/thought of.
But the imfamous question-why did he not wait-well...feelings and admiration got in the way i feel....
Perhaps he sees Alice as a younger, frailer version of Alexandra, for whom he clearly had tender feelings for/as winglo mentioned below.

Hi,im very much Interested in joining you all.I would love to know more about this venture.This would be my first time/so making new freinds in this community would be amazing.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 18 2008 :  5:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
See...this is all easily explained.

Uncas comes to grip that Light Of The Moon would be forever out of his reach and thus settles for Alice, knowing that death would come before he could claim her from Magua. Guess he figured death would be better than to live without me!

No I don't have too big opinion of myself. Everyone else's is just too small!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Nut Mustard
Lost in the Wilderness

December 07 2007

Posted - June 08 2008 :  4:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
his old man nodded to him to go ahead and go after her, so the old man is just as much at fault, he shoulda told uncas to hold back and they both could help hawkeye and both help alice. besides being 'whipped' uncas may have known that the indians, in a short time, were going to be all the way up the mountain and attacking them on that narrow trail, where he has the advantange, wouldnt be the case. thats all i can assume, he knew his time was running out to get them on the narrow trail. similar attack plan in the movie 300 where they attacked the persains in the theopoly pass
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Uncas/Alice Waterfall Scene Topic Next Topic: Update to Earlier post Including Photo  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07