The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 1:24:14 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 What guns did they carry? Hawkeye was that great a shot??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Who is Le Subtil? Topic Next Topic: Best soundtrack ever?
Page: of 3

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 26 2007 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I realize this may seem like a hijack, but since this thread has bounced around so much and we have mentioned "The Late Unpleasantness" already, here goes another historical sidelight:

In some ways at the other end of the "showcase" scale stood the 36th Illinois Infantry, which fought in every major battle in the west except Shiloh. They carried old smoothbore "pumpkin slingers" from 1861 until November 1863, when they finally (and of their own accord) replaced these junkers with Enfields which had been dropped by their previous owners (aka Rebs) on Missionary Ridge. BTW, the 36th Ill. was the only Yankee regiment to kill two Rebel generals in the same battle (Elkhorn Tavern)!!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Ridgerunner
Pathfinder

USA

November 12 2006

Posted - October 26 2007 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MaguasBastardChild

well the most ridiculous shot was when they were going nuts over Uncas being killed and Hawkeye grabs two rifles, one in each hand, and with each shoots an indian at the same time. cmon guys, like the injuns are going to just stand there.

I agree...but it looked cool anyway.Hard to hit a man sized target while you are running let alone do it with two targets at once.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 26 2007 :  5:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As you posted before. On penetration of a longrifle:

Col. Hanger's bugler had a horse shot out from under him at 400yds. While horse's are sometimes fragile beasts they can take a bullet and still function (look up Myles Keogh's horse "Commanche" from the Custer fight). I'd say the ball would have possibly drilled through the bugler if he had been hit instead of his horse.

As for accuracy: "300 yards with an "open sight?" ... How big is this target? A human head? A bit of a challenge I'd say."

Capt. Micheal Cresap's rifle corps was formed and the critria to join was putting 10 out of 10 shots in a pie plate sized target at 200 yds. So many qualified that they had to draw lots to see who joined. They would also drum up recruits by going to a village and holding shooting demos, holding a piece of wood between the knees with a charcoal mark on it and shooting the mark. Not sure of the distance for that one though.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

As you posted before. On penetration of a longrifle:

Col. Hanger's bugler had a horse shot out from under him at 400yds. While horse's are sometimes fragile beasts they can take a bullet and still function (look up Myles Keogh's horse "Commanche" from the Custer fight). I'd say the ball would have possibly drilled through the bugler if he had been hit instead of his horse.

As for accuracy: "300 yards with an "open sight?" ... How big is this target? A human head? A bit of a challenge I'd say."

Capt. Micheal Cresap's rifle corps was formed and the critria to join was putting 10 out of 10 shots in a pie plate sized target at 200 yds. So many qualified that they had to draw lots to see who joined. They would also drum up recruits by going to a village and holding shooting demos, holding a piece of wood between the knees with a charcoal mark on it and shooting the mark. Not sure of the distance for that one though.

i never shot one of those old turd musket/rifles from way back then, but i have shot far more guns than most people. 200-300 yards isnt very far at all to hit someone. Esp if they are good with thier rifle. But it would seem to me those old guns wouldnt have a consistent pattern of hits on a target. Kinda like shooting a paintball gun, it wont hit the same place twice in a row no matter how still its held.
i did see Magua shoot Munro's horse with his hand held musket, Im assumming he shot the horse on purpose, else he missed the colonel and hit his horse, Im guessing he wanted the colonel alive

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 26 2007 :  7:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hitting someone at 200-300 yards isn't all that tough, (I've never actually done it though) assuming they're not running through the woods at night. However, going for a head shot at 300 yards with an open sight is another matter. Anyone that good, - might consider lottery tickets. ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 26 2007 :  9:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can see why you get banned by your manner of speech. I have many of those "old turd" musket/rifles and many other modern firearms up to and including submachineguns and I can tell you that they will shoot center consistantly at 200 yds and with proper loading and sight picture the holes can be covered with a playing card. Paintball guns are smooth bored as were the muskets and like them the muskets can not pattern consistantly and any range over 25-30 yds. Magua's weapon was a smoothbore not a rifle that could be why he hit the horse.

Guide, who set the range to Duncan at 300yds????

Some of my collection:

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 26 2007 :  10:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I can see why you get banned by your manner of speech. I have many of those "old turd" musket/rifles and many other modern firearms up to and including submachineguns and I can tell you that they will shoot center consistantly at 200 yds and with proper loading and sight picture the holes can be covered with a playing card. Paintball guns are smooth bored as were the muskets and like them the muskets can not pattern consistantly and any range over 25-30 yds. Magua's weapon was a smoothbore not a rifle that could be why he hit the horse.

Guide, who set the range to Duncan at 300yds????

Some of my collection:

the old guns are turds,at least compared to modern firearms. they are cool and all, but kinda like an old model A car, its not a F 1 racecar lol.
i set the range at 300yards, hawkeye was firing at the indians in the woods who were attacking the messenger. Id guess from the heighth of the wall of the fort, added to teh distance of the guy running across the battlefield area and into the woods, it would be at least 300 yards. but who knows, its hard to tell. But it was at night i thought, the guy was running so teh unjuns were moving, hawkeye had to account for the movement, the drop, the timing and target. He didnt make head shots. But givin that he did grow up on the frontier and shoot animals since he was 5yrs old most likely and hunted daily. hed be a good shot

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 26 2007 :  11:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And so since you have never shot a flintlock rifle or driven a F1 racecar you have no way of knowing now do you ? Let me pick the track and I'll beat your racecar every time with a Model A...

According to the books Hawkeye could have made that shot 9 times out of 10. I think to show off "his gifts" he shot two potatoes thrown in the air with one shot.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 27 2007 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

According to the books Hawkeye could have made that shot 9 times out of 10. I think to show off "his gifts" he shot two potatoes thrown in the air with one shot.

...and that, Gentlemen, is why Mr. Cooper named him "Hawkeye."

Btw, Joe... that is a gorgeous collection you have there!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 27 2007 :  10:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That was taken about 5 years ago and I've added to it some. The one on the top is a custom made .36 cal rifle I traded an UZI for in 1986, in 1987 at the Eastern Primitive Rendezvous I won 1st place in the rifle shoot with it. The 5 shot group I had at 25 yds could be covered with a quarter and that was off-hand, open sights.(I was younger and shot a lot more) That's why I know what those "turd" guns will do.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 27 2007 :  10:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

And so since you have never shot a flintlock rifle or driven a F1 racecar you have no way of knowing now do you ? Let me pick the track and I'll beat your racecar every time with a Model A...

you dont know what cars ive driven, but either way, ive driven far faster and more expensive ones than you....as well, they same goes with guns

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 27 2007 :  12:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I seriously doubt both statements....wanna have a pissin contest ?? *L* Car I got now is a 2007 Jag XKR .. $95k +.... newest gun I got is a 1918A2 BAR. And I can prove both statements not blow smoke..

Here's just the SMG's and WWII stuff:

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - October 27 2007 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I second WW's observation, Joe: that is one gorgeous collection! An Uzi for a flintlock is a fine trade, in my book. How long have you been collecting? I'm sure there's an interesting story to go with each one of them, especially the one that's been wrapped at the wrist or just below it. Several of the rifles appear to have been made in the Lancaster County style, with that sharp angular nose. (Apologies if my terminology isn't clear or correct.) Is that a style you favor? I'd love to hear more about your collection if you'd like to tell it.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 27 2007 :  1:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The one I traded the UZI for was made in W.Va. by and unknown gunmaker,(wish I knew who he was he did a fine job and the wood is beautiful, flame maple). I've been collecting for 20+ years. I have a great liking for the Lancaster, York style rifle (next to the bottom) but have several Va. style as well.(4th one down) The wrapped wrist one was a trade as well, can't say what it was I traded but I got the best of the deal. The wrist was already wrapped with waxed, hide glued linen twine but it was loosening so I wrapped it in wet rawhide to help. The front sight has fallen off and been replaced and it looks like a restocked well used original. The bottom one is a replica breechloading "Ferguson Rifle" made famous by Maj. Patrick Ferguson who died at King's Mt. I'll be glad to tell you about all of them if you want. The barrels off to the left are several of the 18th cent pistols I've collected some are original most are replicas.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 27 2007 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I seriously doubt both statements....wanna have a pissin contest ?? *L* Car I got now is a 2007 Jag XKR .. $95k +.... newest gun I got is a 1918A2 BAR. And I can prove both statements not blow smoke..

Here's just the SMG's and WWII stuff:

A Jag? lol, wow weee son. Is that your only car? i wont even begin to list, but hey, a 06 viper coupe, a 04 srt 10 viper , a 03 z06 vette, a 335i bmw, a 04 s500.....need i continue?
Gun's. Ill just take out the FN FAL and that will end any comparos on gun collections, you dont have anything that holds its jock to that rifle. Your old used guns and your only car thats a over-glamed Jag (made-by-ford lol) arent impressive, sorry. you done? the BAR is the only thing remotely impressive

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 27 2007 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I didn't even list or show the FN or the M16A2..glad you got one gun at least...didn't need to list the Harleys or the jeeps.. geez yer easy..too bad you don't have photos of your "stable" of hot cars...there's someone like you on every board I've ever been on. Someone who just likes to be an abrasive ass but has no way to prove they are so great. Welcome to this one. Enjoy your stay cupcake..*LOL*

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 27 2007 :  5:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I didn't even list or show the FN or the M16A2..glad you got one gun at least...didn't need to list the Harleys or the jeeps.. geez yer easy..too bad you don't have photos of your "stable" of hot cars...there's someone like you on every board I've ever been on. Someone who just likes to be an abrasive ass but has no way to prove they are so great. Welcome to this one. Enjoy your stay cupcake..*LOL*

IF youre went so poor in intellect and wealth, Id bet you youre entire net worth everything I wrote is true, But you dont have much, an M16 is a crapper. I dont want your turd vehicles, or your other turd guns, youre a relic of old relics lol. get some money, then open your mouth and make some bets, son. Im done pwning you boi

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 27 2007 :  6:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Typical .. all mouth. Bye lil boy, you can't even spell nor form a cohesive sentence. I'm done posting to children who need manners and a spanking. byee byee now..

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 28 2007 :  12:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow, this is starting to sound like the IMDB boards. Come on, boys, play nice. We don't post on these boards to have "pissing contests" or insult each other's intelligence.

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 28 2007 :  12:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Typical .. all mouth. Bye lil boy, you can't even spell nor form a cohesive sentence. I'm done posting to children who need manners and a spanking. byee byee now..

I really got ur goad LOLOLOLOL....jump through another hoop monkey.......Im at armbar dot net 4 days a week, stop by there son, Call me a big mouth when u dont show up . LOL. And bring a check for your entire net worth and then we can bet as to what i said was true or not. Youre the typical jealous loser who has to live through vintage, inane, pedantic, crusty items and draw some romantic nonsense out of them to try and justify and make themselves feel better about not being able to afford modern ones. Keep up on the old worn down pedantic crapper guns and one shitty CAR (made by ford LOLOLOL) youre so proud of that no one cares about. what a tool ! until you put up some money, stfu about it donkey. I think PWNED is the right word, correct?

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 28 2007 :  08:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, MBC... I can certainly see why you get banned from every board on which you participate. You will likely get banned from this one, as well.

We simply do not tolerate this type of behavior in Mohicanland. We are a community, and there are laws we have to follow. I would suggest that you stop this nastiness now.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - October 28 2007 :  08:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW and all, he won't but I will and I do apologize to the Board at large but I figured I would bring out his true colors early before he had a chance to insult someone else. He's obviously only a child, most of his kind are.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 28 2007 :  08:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MaguasBastardChild
I really got ur goad LOLOLOLOL....jump through another hoop monkey.......Im at armbar dot net 4 days a week, stop by there son, Call me a big mouth when u dont show up .

All the earmarks of a good ole Internet Troll! Warning sent to MBC.

MaguasBastardChild
Pathfinder

magua

Warning: 

October 18 2007

Posted - October 28 2007 :  11:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Moderated due to foul language.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - October 28 2007 :  12:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Can we get this thread back on subject and quit with the "whose gun is bigger" crap? Please?

Does anyone even remember what the thread's about?

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Who is Le Subtil? Topic Next Topic: Best soundtrack ever?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07